cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Musician's Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am wondering if there are any other musicians on these forums - if so what do you play? Do you write / record music? What got you into playing music? What is your gear?

I play bass guitar, guitar,synth and function as the audio engineer for my band.

It was Nirvana and Much Music (Canadian MTV) that got me into music - though I moved on from that influence early on after starting to learn how to play. I started on bass guitar at 13 and playing guitar at around 22 (I am 31 now) - when we play live I function as the bass player and in the studio I remain multi-instrumental focusing on support parts.

My main gear is:

'97 Fender Precision Lyte Deluxe
Ampeg Micro-VR with DI
Ampeg V6B
Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 running through Logic X

175 REPLIES 175

danknugz
Superstar
yeah i havent made anythinng i would not be embarrased to post here thats for sure
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I started off with the bass guitar and acoustic guitar when I was 15 but didn't play in a band until 1994 I think. We did our first gig on FA Cup Final day 1995, and I missed the match because of it which pissed me off. We played in front of 128 people if I'm remembering correctly and after that did a few more gigs averaging 80+.

It was a punk band called The Exiles From Pluto, you can find our songs here:

http://www.mf-enterprizes.com/My%20Recordings%20mp3.html

I ended up quitting the band because they weren't interested enough in doing gigs, which to me personally is the whole point of playing in a band, and because I wrote a song that they didn't want to do 'because it sounds too much like Iron Maiden'...only for one of the guitarists writing basically the same riff the next week and everyone thought we should do it lol. A told them they could all go and do one and fucked off down the pub.

I used to wear a French Maids outfit on stage too lol. They tried to convince me to do it and I kept on telling them to fuck off. Then one of the guitarists (the same dick head above) said he was quitting the band and moving to Leicester a couple of weeks before our first gig. I foolishly said that if he stayed and did the gig I'd wear the outfit. Whilst drunk. In front of witnesses. 😮 😄 😄 😄

After that I joined another band only for the drummer to bottle it before our first gig and after that I didn't play for years. I even sold both of my bass guitars because I was desperate for the cash (an Ibanez Roadstar and a Westone Thunder bass).

I just started playing the guitar again a couple of years ago but I don't play that much. And the guitar is a pile of old pants too, a Chord CSS78.

Got myself a cheapo practice amp and an RP255 multi-effects processor which I really like. The pitch shifting is a bit ropy but everything else sounds great.

I'm going to be doing the music for my game at some point, thinking of using FL Studio 12.

I wrote a few songs which you can listen to on Soundcloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/arv1971

There's a couple of experiments for horror ambience there for my game too.

I'm also a decent singer too. I've been offered jobs as a 'ringer' twice whilst doing Karaoke!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

SimonSays28 said:
Just got home - did not realize these were not strung up when I was looking on my phone. Do you have another guitar that you play more often?

I destringed them to preserve their sexy essence during my retirement lol

I do still play from time-to-time just to make sure my skills don't go full Derp. I bought an Ibanez Gio (black) that I use about once a week:

The pictures of the Jackson and Washburn were taken in my home earlier today. The Gio isn't so grand so I grabbed a look-a-like from the web.

I have started playing more often now that my son is old enough to know, love, and respect The Metal. I started to revisit some early Metallica and Iron Maiden for him.

Wildt
Consultant
YO
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good stuff @Snowdog - I really like Manhattan quite a bit, all of it has a really nice mix!

@Zenbane - completely understand, I'd just hate seeing such nice guitars unable to pick them up - I actually have a couple myself that I just haven't gotten around to fixing up and it just kills me not being able to use them right now LOL

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Thanks for the compliments, Simon!

Those are my "stage guitars," I wouldn't even take them to band practice. I was pretty religious about which guitars got used at any given time lol

The Jackson guitar was kept in Standard E tuning for all the Slayer/Metalllica/Megadeth type songs, and the Washburn was Drop D for the Lamb of God, a few Death Metal gems, and most of the "original" music was written in Drop D.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't really have a preference for my guitars / basses - at this point I have a quite a few at least 9 of my own, and the other members in the band have about as many. I have access to pretty much any guitar I need at any time - I have my main bass for playing live, but I take whatever my mood dictates for the most part.

The weirdest bass I have is a left handed fretless Jacos knock-off (brand name Vintage) that I have converted to right hand.
Bought it in the states for about $120 while I was getting my Gas Detection Repair Tech cert from Industrial Scientific - just outside of Pittsburgh. Put another $90 into it getting it flipped, so just under $300 CDN - I love cheap instruments. I mean don't get me wrong - I love my Fender's and such to death, but some of the off-brand stuff just really does it for me.

k4gsbz7xxto5.jpg

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Let me embarass myself - although this was a year ago - and I usually play 6-string but health reasons forced me to switch to bass.

https://youtu.be/cS1iSTQ8UKo

This was one of my first self-written and recorded tunes, entitled "Indecision"

Played all the bits - at that time I didn't have a bass, so I used a Spanish (nylon strung) guitar for the bass bits.

I also sang in one of the gameplay vids I uploaded to YouTube - I deleted it since, but this is the track... Brain Damage, of course, by Pink Floyd. I have a very deep singing voice, but I have done backing vocals for some songs when gigging (Lady In Black was my first - doing the "aahh's"

edit - found some pics of my guitars:

My first bass:

qg0rccyyaben.jpg

My spanish and electro-acoustic (Crafter FX550) as heard in the Brain Damage song recording

jsdk5d45dfzj.jpg

This was my first electro-acoustic (and a much youger me, when I was teaching guitar at the local school of music...):

vztp04u64mpf.jpg

This was a nice Ibanez - the Jet King 1 - looked a bit yukky but played very nice:

dvchxqpe2sjj.jpg

I like a wide nut, due to my problem with arthritis - I have long-ish fingers but have a habit of catching other strings, so the wider the nut, the better for me. I do have a number of other guitars, but won't bore you with them now - or take up too much forum space.

The best one I had was the standard American Strat. I'd been having a number of issues with some songs and playing them fluidly on the guitars I owned, but when I got that Strat, it all fell into place and sounded great (well, good enough anyway). I'd had Start copies, but the genuine article was easily better than all of them. Now I use a self-built TeleStrat, built with an ash telecaster body and pick-ups and a Strat neck. I plan to change the pick-ups soon and just bought a custom tail plate for it.

nv9n84fq32yg.jpg

Also have a very nice Peavey (Jack Daniels paint job - I'll look for a pic later). I bought it because I had seen so many guitarists using them, when I went to try-outs for bass, so i decided to get one to see what the fuss was about. I do like it - a lot, but I wouldn't like it to be my only guitar.

I use an Ashdown EB220 now - p/x'd my Marshall half-stack to buy it when I switched to bass for bands.

mnga77lzekw7.jpg

Okay, don't worry I'm off now...  😞

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good stuff @Brixmis

I am a strat guy myself - we have 2 Mexi's and 1 American - I prefer the two mexican ones (they are heavier, one is made from swamp ash). The American strat ended up taking about 10 years to really love, it saved our guitar player from a pitbull attack (has some minor bite wounds on it even though the guitar was in a soft case at the time, and a little crack where the neck is bolted to the body.) It has a nice surf sound to it - it weighs much less than our other guitars. It is what I taught myself guitar on.

Also have a Telecaster, and two Epiphones (Les Paul Junior, and Les Paul Special). I am not a big fan of the Les Paul - but I love both the Junior and the Special, they are a little thinner/smaller than a normal Les Paul and they have a bit more bite to them.

My main guitar is a Peavey Raptor with overwound pickups - which just sounds awesome. It has a very late 70s new wave sound to it - like cardboard.

On the acoustic side we have a couple Denver 3/4 sized nylon string's that sound wonderful and a full sized Yamaha nylon string that also just plays beautifully. I have a no-name 3/4 sized acoustic that sounds and looks like something from pioneer times - and a bigger Bravo acoustic that is hard to play but sounds beautiful especially for slide.

Also have a couple acoustic basses - an Epiphone El Capitan (stands nearly as tall as me, LOL) and a Gold Tone Micro Bass
h391golk75yf.jpg
4cvzkezfncui.jpg

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Great - those full-sized Yam nylon strung guitars are really awesome.

I got to play in a band in Berlin, run by Heinz Glass (Percy Sledge's guitarist - see vid below) and he had one and he was just incredible on it. His rendition of Sultans of Swing on it was just awesome. His singing was awful - but funny at the same time (think of English songs sung in a heavy German accent!). His rendition of Black Magic Woman - or as he sung it "Black Magic Vimmins" was hilarious.

This one made me laugh in particular - it's one he wrote himself called "Take My Blues Away"

https://youtu.be/rNQKc3So8as

This one was far better (imho):

https://youtu.be/4cPgo6E0lfk

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2