cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] [Error] Can't reinstall Oculus Software, "please restart and try again"

TalkingStone
Sightseer
Hello,

I uninstalled Oculus Software after noticing the Runtime issue that appeared around March 6th, and now that I'm trying to reinstall it, with the new installer from the Oculus website, each time I try, at the end of the 4.9GB download, I get an error window asking me to restart my computer and retry. Which I did, several times, after deleting everything related to Oculus that I knew I could delete (appdata files,etc...), I tried without my firewall, I tried in safe mode from the C drive root, nothing works.
Can you help me please ? I'd like to use my rift again, but for now it seems impossible.
I'll link my OculusSetup.log file and screeshots of every file that comes out of a "Oculus" search on my C drive, so maybe you can tell me which file is safe to delete.

Thank you very much, have a nice day
9 REPLIES 9

PlayingAim
Explorer
hmmm looks like my problem try turning off everything running on your pc that isnt needed for windows to run

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes, please disable any and all of the following you might have before running setup

MSI Afterburner or other GPU tweaker
Antivirus
Antimalware
Samsung Magic or any outer SSD Utility
Anything running in your system tray
Any Peripheral Utilities

Etc
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

TalkingStone
Sightseer

Yes, please disable any and all of the following you might have before running setup

MSI Afterburner or other GPU tweaker
Antivirus
Antimalware
Samsung Magic or any outer SSD Utility
Anything running in your system tray
Any Peripheral Utilities

Etc

I tried that, it didn't work. I disabled everything that I could and that was not related to windows, but no success on the installation. The latest log file is linked to this post.

LZoltowski
Champion
Well, the log is different now, so you did have something that was preventing it to progress, now its a different error.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

TalkingStone
Sightseer

Well, the log is different now, so you did have something that was preventing it to progress, now its a different error.

Oh really ? I can't decipher the log, do you know what may be causing the issue now ?

LZoltowski
Champion
There is a missing environment variable

1. In Search, search for and then select: System (Control Panel)
  2. Click the Advanced system settings link.
  3. Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables, find the PATH environment variable and select it. Click Edit. If the PATH environment variable does not exist, click New.
  4. In the Edit System Variable (or New System Variable) window, specify the value of the PATH environment variable. The path you need to add is C:\windows if it's not there already. Click OK. Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.

it should look like this: (dont add the Oculus paths, c:\windows should be enough)suzj5q9elo0a.jpg

The run setup again BUT PLEASE RUN IT WITH EVERYTHING OFF AS IN the PREVIOUS STEP as that fixed the previous error, do not run as admin, and run the setup file from your C:\ drive, not from downloads directory

Be kind to one another 🙂

TalkingStone
Sightseer
It worked ! Thank you very much for your help ! 
Now I'll setup the headset (again) and hope I don't encounter any other problem.

Have a nice week end ! 

Derek0rion
Honored Guest
DUDE!!! Thanks so much for this I couldn't figure out what even happened... I even deleted everything that had to do with oculus to re-run it-___- time to re pick up everything again lol

mrp00man
Honored Guest
So just add C:\windows