cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Sensor Firmware Error! couldn't update firmware! 178/unknown (Update required to 178/e9c7e040

CharlieC56
Honored Guest
It's great to see others have experienced this...can anyone reply with a solution? Like I said, I see posts but no solutions attached...what gives? All software has been updated, USB drivers etc all up to date. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, swapped USB's etc. Everything worked fine until this last worldwide crash, installed the patch and got this problem which of course is keeping my VR an expensive brick attached to my system.
14 REPLIES 14

LZoltowski
Champion
Have you tried this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4omkm7/firmware_will_not_update/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

CharlieC56
Honored Guest
I appreciate the help...sadly, no luck.
I did heard back on my support ticket which of course told me to do EXACTLY what I told them I already tried (which I did again just because, wouldn't it be amazing to submit a support ticket and have them actually read it). I suspect I have a bad sensor since I have noticed that only one (of two) requires a firmware update. Let's see how long this will take and if they will honor a replacement on something just barely a month old.
Thanks again

CharlieC56
Honored Guest
I guess I'll keep this updating for a while since I've seen this error reported before without a posted resolution and many posts on poor Technical Support. so I suppose we'll all find out if a solution is forthcoming or if the stories are true regarding the support services. 
To date I have gotten just one response every 24-36 hours, the last was for me to run an Oculus built in executable that pulls crash logs etc (actually, after reviewing what was pulled, ALL system logs {including computer name, hardware, software and component addresses which bothers me quite a bit that this is a built in feature that offers up so much information to just a game system vendor).  Regardless, nothing has worked since the crash everyone experienced and to date nothing concrete has been offered.

LZoltowski
Champion
Is there any way you'd let me have a look at the logs in DM?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

CharlieC56
Honored Guest
I'd have to do some editing first but, after I edit my "personal" data I could post the Oculus files regarding the system events. Would that work?  
But, if you're asking for what Tech support got then, no...it still bothers me that they included my security software and VPN data for starters. 

LZoltowski
Champion

I'd have to do some editing first but, after I edit my "personal" data I could post the Oculus files regarding the system events. Would that work?  
But, if you're asking for what Tech support got then, no...it still bothers me that they included my security software and VPN data for starters. 

There are literally a thousand ways in which it can fail, a FULL log is very necessary, including what applications you are running. A PC is a delicate ecosystem an errant application or a process or a wrong config, incompatible hardware can cause issues.

Sometimes something as simple as MSI afterburner would stop an installation, or a GPU tweaker stopping HDMI from working. The more data points there are the easier and faster it is to diagnose an issue.

So, in summary, its necessary to see the entire log gather, you can omit any serial numbers if you need. Out of curiosity, what sort of PERSONAL information are you talking about?

Be kind to one another 🙂

CharlieC56
Honored Guest
You are correct there are a thousand ways a system can fail and almost as many to exploit a system but let's just start with PERSONAL information that I am referring to...The PC name and mac address are good starters as just that simple information opens the door and although the damage would likely be limited to hardware and not data per se should someone wish,  so I do consider those things as PERSONAL and as such are things I do not  expose at a whim.

Also, bear in mind that I know nothing about you such as...are you a paid employee of Oculus, are you in tech support?  If not, then I would be the fool to blindly hand over my system files just because someone asked.

How about this instead.. you can (or I can on your behalf) contact Lloyd at Tech Support and he can verify who you are and that it would be safe to share file information with you. 

Keep in mind we are talking one sensor which means most likely a component fault that will be resolved with a replacement as all other components seem to be functioning correctly. But until Tech determines that to their satisfaction Oculus is not handing out a free replacement and rightly so.

I truly appreciate your offer to help and honestly don't wish to offend but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

LZoltowski
Champion
I'm not an Oculus employee but I am a volunteer mod for this forum. Have helped countless people with their issues. No problem at all, good luck with official support.

Be kind to one another 🙂

CharlieC56
Honored Guest
As an update: Starting with the crash, followed by installing the patch my system lost one if it's sensors (making it unusable).

Since that time I have been in contact with Tech support (minimum of 12 hours between responses ) since that time and to date the only solution offered has been to download a fresh copy of installation files and begin again (to all: it's a good idea to go to the Oculus file and copy the software directory to another location periodically as a back up so you don't have to download your game files again), the last uninstall was to go to safe mode (with internet disconnected) and do a complete uninstall (I recommend using an uninstall program that has a powerful scan to locate and remove all associated files as this will speed the process a little if you are asked to do this by Tech Support as this can take between 1-2 hours each time depending on your download speed for 5GB download and time to install). So, to recap...3X uninstall and reinstall with the last using safe mode without internet connection. Changed every connection using all possible configurations, all drivers /hardware etc have been checked for compatibility .

Regardless, the same issue persists and I have once more requested an RMA to replace the component (actually, my last request was for a complete replacement since the equipment is barely a month old). At this point I suppose all I'm accomplishing is posting a real time process for Tech support at Oculus but considering the knocks on Tech Support I'm just offering an honest view of the process.