cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with installing the Oculus Runtime

Anonymous
Not applicable
After downloading and running the installer on Windows 7 SP1 I am presented with this error:
hiadc8vu5hea.png

After clicking OK the installer opens and works as intended untill the Installing part takes place. The same error pops up and upon closing it pops up again, making it impossible to proceed. The weird part is every time I turn on my PC this same error box appears. The specified dll file is not missing from my C drive.v4aebj39zl3d.png

I really need some help ASAP because I intent to use the Oculus on a school project due the end of the year on which depends my grade :'(
15 REPLIES 15

LZoltowski
Champion
Can you post your setup log?

Open a File Explorer window and paste this in the URL field:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\
Then look for "OculusSetup.log" and upload it to your post. Please do *not* just copy/paste the text into the post area, as this becomes difficult to read. This folder may be hidden. Make sure you go into the Folder Options and choose Show Hidden Files and Folders first.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
Also: 
Unzip and Paste the dll into: C:/Windows/SYSWOW64
https://www.dropbox.com/s/svwlq10c7imx4vg/api-ms-win-core-file-l2-1-0.dll%20%2832-Bit%29.zip?dl=0

Unzip and Paste the dll into: C:/Windows/System32
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q11bb2n4mvdpcxs/api-ms-win-core-file-l2-1-0.dll%20%2864-Bit%29.zip?dl=0

Then reboot
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the log. Also unzip both dll files into the corresponding directories or just my 64-bit version?

LZoltowski
Champion
Put those files into the directories as shown, assuming youre on 64 bit windows.

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
This is going to be a long one, so brace yourself, make sure to follow ALL instructions:

We are going to go deep 🙂 ...  

Boot into windows safe mode without networking, While in safe mode, follow these steps 
  1. Delete all Oculus folders from here:
    • C:\Program Files (or wherever you installed it)
      and if you have an Oculus Cache folder on your C Drive (or the drive you are installing on)
  2. Remove any Oculus folder from here if they are there:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\Roaming
Reboot to normal windows

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bswzhn76cwgvl1/Drivers.zip?dl=0
In that zip in the root of it, you will have all the distros, make sure all of them are installed or repaired, go from oldest to newest versions.

Also all of these, you might already have some of these in the zip but just to make sure
~: 

Once that is all done reboot into normal mode, again make sure its a lean session, no antivirus, defender, GPU tweaks or anything so close anything you have down

Download the setup file from oculus.com/setup fresh. 

Move it to your C:\ drives root

Run setup .. DO NOT run as admin

If it fails again, post the setup log again, please.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I already have the files and upon replacing them it gives me an access denied. I tried several methods to change SysWOW64 permissions but none worked. Any idea how to move it inside?

LZoltowski
Champion
Ok, ignore the error for now, follow the instructions in the post with all the instructions

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
The OVRRedistributableInstaller and the oculus-driver won't open at all, should I continue without them?

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes, ignore those 🙂

Be kind to one another 🙂