cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google targeting 3182 resolution "per eye"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Google plans to introduce a 4.3-inch display with an 18-megapixel resolution during the Society for Information Display’s (SID) conference, dubbed Display Week, in late May. The screen will likely be manufactured by South Korea’s LG Display and target virtual reality headsets, delivering a wide field-of-view and a pixel-per-inch ratio of 1,443 pixels using OLED display technology.

But what is the resolution of a single 18-megapixel screen? With a 16:9 aspect ratio, that could equal to around 5,657 x 3,182. That is per eye as well and would require a PC with extremely high-powered components to render visuals at 3182p on each screen at 90Hz or more. To help alleviate some of the work, the experience would need to rely on eye-tracking and a method called foveated rendering, according to Google Vice President of AR/VR Clay Bavor.

The idea with foveated rendering is to monitor the user’s focal point with eye-tracking hardware. Everything existing outside the wearer’s peripheral vision – scenery not picked up by the eye’s fovea centralis – isn’t fully rendered by the PC. Google revealed that it is currently working on foveated rendering in December, leading to speculation that Google may be working on its own high-definition virtual reality headset. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/google-18mp-vr-screen-display-week-session/

Could be a great addition to the hardware ecosystem, to help push the Resolution standard forward very quickly. I noticed that Google is being honest about their approach... as opposed to using "Pimax Math" and calling this a "6364 Resolution HMD."

25 REPLIES 25

Yep, like you say, this tech and the way they're describing it sounds a bit more serious than some others we've heard about up until now.

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
I think it would be safe to assume that with the resources Oculus have been ploughing into r&d, they are at the leading edge of next gen hardware and software. The stuff they've publicly released in their blogs is impressive enough, I'm sure there's a whole lot more under wraps. I do hope there's a teaser at some point in 2018.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it would be safe to assume that with the resources Oculus have been ploughing into r&d, they are at the leading edge of next gen hardware and software. The stuff they've publicly released in their blogs is impressive enough, I'm sure there's a whole lot more under wraps. I do hope there's a teaser at some point in 2018.

I'm still hoping for a 4K headset for the CV2 next year. It all depends on how they've managed to progress with foveated rendering. Both Nvidia and AMD are working on it of course but what Oculus need to do is have it working at the SDK level so that it doesn't matter what GPU a CV2 owner has, or what engine a game is using, it will always be possible to use it.

LZoltowski
Champion
This makes me so happy, seeing all these tech giants coming up with new technologies for VR is a clear sign that VR is not just a fad, but here to stay and evolve into the Holodeck we always wanted. And think about it, we have been here from the beginning, something to reminisce on in 30 years 🙂

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm probably going to be dead in 30 years  😮

cybernettr
Superstar

snowdog said:

I'm probably going to be dead in 30 years  😮

If you can last just 27 more years you’ll make it to the Singularity. 
 😉 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

VR has officially died more times than Freddy...

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Cool, more things to spend money on. At least this won't come out this year and possibly next year too. Late 2019 or early 2020. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
What I like about this is that this might force Oculus hands to really push a good product for a 2019 or 2020 release. This way we can have a real high end jump and not a 2k by 2k one that will just leaving me starving for more later on x..x; 4k by 4k + eye tracking sounds soo sweet that I am drooling:)) 

One thing to note here: "120Hz refresh rate" I have a feeling it's not going to require the games/software to really run at 120 FPS:) they will be using a trick that will let the game run at 60 FPS and then interlace it to hit that 120Hz. When I see 120Hz I would be very worry on how they are hitting that for sure:)

This might be even just a "pro" version that will be out of the price range of most customer though and as a result might not matter anyways as in if you willing to spend that money on a headset like that - then you most likely have the money on for a good system in the first place.

One thing I would love to have a answer on is what will be the current state of their line ups going forward here. I understand CV will be their "highest level of VR" - will that mean we will be limited to a set price point (aka, trying to stay under 500 or less) or will they just focus on the hardware first - then try and fit price around it later? I didn't mind paying as much as I did for my CV1 when it first release or even more - so long as I got the best I could get over all for that price point and hardware. Limiting CV in the future purrly on price alone scares me a bit if we have SC mid range coming out and OGO for the lower end anyways.

There are a lot of improves for the CV2 I could think about - but how much of that will fit into the price point and how much of that can we see going forward. Eye tracking, Eye Gaze, FOV Rendering, Higher Refresh Rates (interlaced or not), Depth Tracking, Higher Resolution, MLED vs OLED, Better Lens, Higher Resolution Cameras/Trackers, Upscale, Better GPUs, Better Driver Support, Increase FOV, etc Easy could hit $800 - $1200.