cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google targeting 3182 resolution "per eye"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Google plans to introduce a 4.3-inch display with an 18-megapixel resolution during the Society for Information Display’s (SID) conference, dubbed Display Week, in late May. The screen will likely be manufactured by South Korea’s LG Display and target virtual reality headsets, delivering a wide field-of-view and a pixel-per-inch ratio of 1,443 pixels using OLED display technology.

But what is the resolution of a single 18-megapixel screen? With a 16:9 aspect ratio, that could equal to around 5,657 x 3,182. That is per eye as well and would require a PC with extremely high-powered components to render visuals at 3182p on each screen at 90Hz or more. To help alleviate some of the work, the experience would need to rely on eye-tracking and a method called foveated rendering, according to Google Vice President of AR/VR Clay Bavor.

The idea with foveated rendering is to monitor the user’s focal point with eye-tracking hardware. Everything existing outside the wearer’s peripheral vision – scenery not picked up by the eye’s fovea centralis – isn’t fully rendered by the PC. Google revealed that it is currently working on foveated rendering in December, leading to speculation that Google may be working on its own high-definition virtual reality headset. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/google-18mp-vr-screen-display-week-session/

Could be a great addition to the hardware ecosystem, to help push the Resolution standard forward very quickly. I noticed that Google is being honest about their approach... as opposed to using "Pimax Math" and calling this a "6364 Resolution HMD."

25 REPLIES 25

LZoltowski
Champion
I cant wait for the next gen Nvidia Cards, to be announced very soon! Then I can wait for the CV2 a little bit longer 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Same here, I'm just a bit pessimistic about price and availability. I'm not sure mining has lost its appeal as much as it needs to.

kernow
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

I'm probably going to be dead in 30 years  😮

My grandmother died the day before yesterday (I got the call yesterday) at 100 years of age (she was almost 101), but, I'm pretty sure I'll be dead in 30 years (if I made it 30 years, I'd be in my early 70s). I'm not even sure I'll make it 5 or 10 years. so, I probably won't be joining LZ in his reminiscing, neither. : (

kilobulb
Expert Protege

I think it would be safe to assume that with the resources Oculus have been ploughing into r&d, they are at the leading edge of next gen hardware and software. The stuff they've publicly released in their blogs is impressive enough, I'm sure there's a whole lot more under wraps. I do hope there's a teaser at some point in 2018.

Are Samsung and LG not still the only OLED producers? Unless they are working on something with Samsung would Oculus not likely be using the same screen? Is there any other screen tech that would be better for VR?

Anonymous
Not applicable

kilobulb said:

I think it would be safe to assume that with the resources Oculus have been ploughing into r&d, they are at the leading edge of next gen hardware and software. The stuff they've publicly released in their blogs is impressive enough, I'm sure there's a whole lot more under wraps. I do hope there's a teaser at some point in 2018.

Are Samsung and LG not still the only OLED producers? Unless they are working on something with Samsung would Oculus not likely be using the same screen? Is there any other screen tech that would be better for VR?

They are not - but they are the only ones that make them on the massive scale you would need for the customer line of things. Oculus is working on something with Samsung I'm sure or it could be that they are going to use fast switch LCD instead in future headsets. The question is if Samsung can keep up with 4k OLED production to keep cost low.

Then again: https://www.roadtovr.com/samsungs-new-vr-display-nearly-3-5x-pixels-rift-vive/

Might be what we are getting as well. Who knows?

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege
Sony has been working on super dense screen technology for some time. Don’t disregard the company with regard to VR as they are still the world’s VR market leader, having sold two and a half times more headsets than Oculus. Watch out for the PS5 and their next gen PSVR following on its heals. They kept their PSVR development very quiet when everybody was shouting about DK2 and then dropped the PSVR on the market in 2016 which I personally still consider a decent product with regard to the design, FPS and a decent solution to the SDE as well the price. I imagine their next release will capitalise on their considerable user base to dominate the market...
http://www.lightandmagic.co.uk Fantasy becomes Reality

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Sony has been working on super dense screen technology for some time. Don’t disregard the company with regard to VR as they are still the world’s VR market leader, having sold two and a half times more headsets than Oculus.

I dunnno... I consider those Console Gadget sales.

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

Sony has been working on super dense screen technology for some time. Don’t disregard the company with regard to VR as they are still the world’s VR market leader, having sold two and a half times more headsets than Oculus.

... or a powerful way of entering the next generation VR entertainment market with an established user base.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

... or a powerful way of entering the next generation VR entertainment market with an established user base.

They only entered the VR market "after" HTC and Oculus paved the way. You seem to really like their sales figures, which numbered just over 2 million. Yet GearVR sold over 5 million and Google Cardboard sold over 10 million.

All Sony did was cash in on the "idea of VR" as made possible by HTC and Oculus. Microsoft tried doing the same thing with WMR, and their current sales figures aren't looking so hot.

We'll see how Sony does with PSVR in the long haul compared to MobileVR and PCVR.

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

Zenbane said:

They only entered the VR market "after" HTC and Oculus paved the way. You seem to really like their sales figures, which numbered just over 2 million. Yet GearVR sold over 5 million and Google Cardboard sold over 10 million.

All Sony did was cash in on the "idea of VR" as made possible by HTC and Oculus. Microsoft tried doing the same thing with WMR, and their current sales figures aren't looking so hot.

We'll see how Sony does with PSVR in the long haul compared to MobileVR and PCVR.

Google cardboard and Gear VR are are more viewing devices.