cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

AussieStig
Expert Protege

Aliantha said:

shadywack said:

Aliantha said:

Aussie is a great guy and hopefully he and everyone else will be compensated.  Asking on page 70 of a forum post is a bad place to be heard.  Everyone needs to contact support directly to ensure being heard.

I would just caution everyone not to over-react and feel slighted so quickly.

Yesterday people were up in arms that Oculus was going out of business and a patch wasn't coming - patch done
Yesterday people were upset that Oculus wouldn't take responsibility and apologize - they did
Yesterday people were demanding compensation even before the issue was fixed - compensation was given

Just make yourself heard.  Oculus has always dealt with me in a first rate manner and pretty sure they will everyone too if people just chill and not expect the worst.

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. Particularly the bit about throwing a fit on a 70 page forum thread, that's just drowning in the noise. I think the fact it's a 70 page forum thread is enough to know that Oculus saw the issue. I'm actually pretty content with the way it was handled, $15 store credit. I'm now going to explore where to spend that and try some new things out. I'd say this worked quite well in my favor as I love my Rift and I'll continue to enjoy using it.

That said, depending on how Oculus handles things like this going forward, that'll help me decide what to upgrade to when I want a new model with higher resolution and new features. For everyone upset about the situation, HTC/Valve are also far from perfect and you'll have to make concessions if you want to switch.

We, as VR users, are still a very niche market. There will be problems in the future, maybe not with Oculus, but things will happen either to the OS, the software, and/or the hardware. Expecting perfection is to forego your own faults, refuse to self analyze, and react as a reasonable person should.

Who threw a fit mate? 

I think they thought you were.  So many fits were thrown yesterday it might have gotten confusing :smiley:

My message was as far from a fit as we are from the sun, mate 😛 

xtreemchaos
Explorer
i have "Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime Service" again today 16-3-18 9am, has anybody else got it ?, ive submited a ticket.

francesco_2013
Protege

i have "Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime Service" again today 16-3-18 9am, has anybody else got it ?, ive submited a ticket.

Yes I have the same problem !!! WTF OCULUS ??? AGAIN ??

francesco_2013
Protege
HELLO OCULUS ! ANSWER ! GOD DAMN IT !

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hi, you should submit a support ticket as well.
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LZoltowski
Champion

Hi, you should submit a support ticket as well.
https://support.oculus.com/

It turned out his time and date were incorrect. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Hedgy
Protege
I got the patch and the problem went away, tonight however it is back ???

Ok I ran the patch again and chose repair and it seems to be working again. Odd but hey ho.

MrKaru
Adventurer
Just going to mention that I got this problem the other day again, too. I just went to the services tab, in my task manager, and changed it from "stop" to "start", but it was weird that it happened at all. My first thought was "Oh no, not again"

HumBlee
Honored Guest
mee too

Br0kendish
Explorer
I ran my rift over with my lawn mower. Can I get another $15 dollar credit?
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?