cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Vive PRO - Your turn Oculus

Zuh
Adventurer
I wish Oculus ware first but it's good news all the same:

https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/03/19/htc-vive-announces-price-vive-pro-hmd-799-pre-orders-start-today...

VIVE PRO SPECS

• Unprecedented presence with Hi-Res and 3D spatial audio
  • Stay immersed comfortably with higher display resolution, easy-to-use headset & cable design, and improved ergonomics
  • Chaperone technology
  • Free to move around wirelessly with VIVE Wireless Adapter*
  • *VIVE Wireless Adapter sold separately.

Headset Specs

Screen:Dual AMOLED 3.5" diagonal
Resolution:1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined)
Refresh rate:90 Hz
Field of view:110 degrees
Audio:Hi-Res certificate headset 
Hi-Res certificate headphone (removable) 
High impedance headphone support
Input:Integrated microphones
Connections:USB-C 3.0, DP 1.2, Bluetooth
Sensors:SteamVR Tracking, G-sensor, gyroscope, proximity, IPD sensor
Ergonomics:Eye relief with lens distance adjustment 
Adjustable IPD 
Adjustable headphone 
Adjustable headstrap

VIVE PRO HMD includes

Headset

• Headset cable (attached)
  • Face cushion (attached)
  • Cleaning cloth
  • Earphone hole cap (2)
  • Documentaion

Link box

• Power adapter
  • DisplayPort™ cable
  • USB 3.0 cable
  • Mounting pad

Recommended Computer Specs

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590 or AMD FX™ 8350, equivalent or better.
  • Graphics: NVDIA® GeForce® GTX1060 or AMD Radeon ™ RX480, equivalent or better. View the complete list >
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM or more
  • Video out: DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
  • USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 or newer port
  • Operating system: Windows® 8.1 or later, Windows® 10

*VIVE Wireless Adapter sold separately.

Coming Soon

296 REPLIES 296

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
HTC drops Vive to $499 and opens preorders for $799 headset-only Vive Pro

HTC says it will charge $799 for its new, higher-resolution Vive Pro
virtual reality headset — and we mean, literally, just the headset.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/19/17137336/htc-vive-pro-vr-hmd-upgrade-price-preorder-shipping-date

This is my favorite part of the Vive Pro release news:
Anyone who purchases a Vive Pro by June 3rd will get six free months of HTC’s Viveport subscription service

Because having an Exclusive Store is a winning strategy. Glad to see that HTC stopped relying just on Steam and finally adopted the Facebook-Oculus model. This is "their turn" after a rough 2 years.

We will probably have to wait until the Holidays to see how well HTC did with the original Vive price-drop and Vive Pro sales.

danknugz
Superstar
799$ just for the headset? with no FoV improvement. seriously? i might have bitten if it included the sensors.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Zuh
Adventurer
It's a lot but it's also new hi-end without competition and step forward for VR overall. Now we wait for Oculus or maybe new competitor and watch prices going down.  
I'm also interested in that VIVE Wireless Adapter of theirs :smiley:

BTW: Viveport subscription looks like a good value.

falken76
Expert Consultant
$800?  Fucking rip off as usual.  At least HTC is consistent in one area.  They charge too much for their tech.  Is this targeting regular consumers?

I can wait for CV2.  The headset is the cheap part, hopefully the GPUs are reasonable again when CV2 comes out.

HiThere_
Superstar

falken76 said:

I can wait for CV2.  The headset is the cheap part, hopefully the GPUs are reasonable again when CV2 comes out.

Same here : I'm not buying any second generation VR headset until the GPU prices stop skyrocketing because of the crypto-currency mining related problem. Oculus VR can safely spend the whole 2018 year improving the CV2 with 2019 technology.

I mean the HTC Vive also came out first (before CV1), and we all know how that worked out.

WARNING : Zuh's post suggests Windows 7 isn't even supported... that's only ~half of the Windows platform users not being able to run it... good luck with that.

LZoltowski
Champion
wait for $799 no base stations or controllers and only marginally better screens? NO ability to swap out headphones either. All the reviews I have seen, say the clarity is improved but it doesn't feel like a second gen product, more like 1.5. It's not night and day and certainly doesn't justify the asking price.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

lag0matic
Heroic Explorer
Yep, basically a 799$ UPGRADE. First time buyers have to spend additional to get lightouses and touch controllers.

LZoltowski
Champion
So if someone wants to jump ship from Oculus, and go for vive pro, they will need

HMD £799
2 x Lighthouse at £199 each
2 x Controllers at £199 each

That's £1278 ... is it me or is this idiotic?

So an impossible ceiling for a switcher, and a pretty high one for an existing Vive owner .. this has Fail written all over it.

Oculus did a great job with the prices even for standalone sensors .. 3 sensors are less than 1 lighthouse, or even 2 replacement touch controllers are less than 1 Vive wand.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

lag0matic
Heroic Explorer

So if someone wants to jump ship from Oculus, and go for vive pro, they will need

HMD £799
2 x Lighthouse at £199 each
2 x Controllers at £199 each

That's £1278 ... is it me or is this idiotic?

So an impossible ceiling for a switcher, and a pretty high one for an existing Vive owner .. this has Fail written all over it.

Yeah, or someone buying for the first time.  Also, this completely eliminates re-sale.  "Oh, I upgraded to the Vive Pro, heres the original HMD, but you dont get lighthouses or controllers."