cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Oculus, I got my rift earlier this week from Bestbuy, and this morning when I put it on I noticed the audio on the right side was cutting in and out till it eventually stopped working all together. I imagine it has to do with the wiring inside as it seems to depend on how tight it is on my head.  Anyways; I don't have a clue about fixing things like this, so I was wondering if you could give any advice on what to do..   Thanks, I really love this product and it just isn't the same with only one side having audio. x_x
231 REPLIES 231

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer
Yeah refurbs are just fine. He are some pics of my recently replaced Rift.

https://imgur.com/a/WbjYI

I suspect they might just keep the internals boards and lens/screen assemblies due to there being no plastic covers on the lenses. The cloth exterior was spotless so I reckon that part is completely new.

The Rift was pretty much perfect apart from the fact it no longer worked with my 3m extension cables.

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

BBZ149
Protege

Yeah refurbs are just fine. He are some pics of my recently replaced Rift.

https://imgur.com/a/WbjYI

I suspect they might just keep the internals boards and lens/screen assemblies due to there being no plastic covers on the lenses. The cloth exterior was spotless so I reckon that part is completely new.

The Rift was pretty much perfect apart from the fact it no longer worked with my 3m extension cables.

Thats strange! when I had to send mine back they wanted the complete Boxed unit back and replaced it with another completly Boxed mint refurb unit, sensors and Controler ETC! Which I thought was a bit stupid IMO as the problem was just with the Headset!! Maybe they finally worked out it's just better and cheaper to replace the faulty part LMFAO!!

superdave132
Explorer
Today I lost sound in both ears of my CV1 headset,I fixed the sound by loosening both straps to their full extent, then tightening the headset screws all the way down to their full seated rotation. Then I backed down the screw in one ear to align the screw head vertically, not horizontally. Then tried the headset on again to listen for sound. no sound, backed down the screw head another half turn to vertical alignment. hear sound. Then repeat the process for the left ear until you hear sound again. I believe the pressure of the screws and the alignment are important for the sound to work properly. hope this helps someone get their sound back.

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer

BBZ149 said:

Thats strange! when I had to send mine back they wanted the complete Boxed unit back and replaced it with another completly Boxed mint refurb unit, sensors and Controler ETC! 

I'm guessing that was quite a while ago?

With the prevalence of this issue maybe they thought "Geez we better streamline this a bit more because this issue is costing us a lot of money".

Good to hear yours was a simple fix superdave132. As you can see from the pics in my linked thread some people have a torn/cracked ribbon cable which no amount of headset screw tweaking will ever fix.
CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

PIXELATED
Adventurer
UPS return label has arrived. Sending off today.
Oculus ask for the headset only, no accessories and to be sent in plain box (not the one the original it came in) and say I may get a refurb replacement.
Hope the faceplate is a fresh one (-;
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35

BBZ149
Protege

BBZ149 said:

Thats strange! when I had to send mine back they wanted the complete Boxed unit back and replaced it with another completly Boxed mint refurb unit, sensors and Controler ETC! 

I'm guessing that was quite a while ago?

With the prevalence of this issue maybe they thought "Geez we better streamline this a bit more because this issue is costing us a lot of money".

Good to hear yours was a simple fix superdave132. As you can see from the pics in my linked thread some people have a torn/cracked ribbon cable which no amount of headset screw tweaking will ever fix.

Yeah, indeed it was Feb 2017! 

Jay_Random
Honored Guest
Left ear piece stopped working yesterday... Removed it and cleaned it and reconnected. Issue resolved. Thanks 🙂

PIXELATED
Adventurer
I received a refurbished headset this morning (19th March - by UPS) 9 days after sending the last one back for the earpiece issue. Pretty good turn around....... BUT...
The refurbished unit has a fault!!! Everytime the headset is adjusted (straps or hand holding headset) it disconnects. The plug/s is/are seated properly at both ends.. Grrrr!  Why can't these units be tested properly before being sent out?
I have updated support ticket with all logs required and hope, yet again, that i can receive a fully functional CV1
Sooo disappointed :'(

UPDATE 1: Replacement refurbished Rift sent back today (20th March - by UPS) hoping for another replacement headset that fully works. £10 credited to my oculus account for the inconvenience.

UPDATE 2: 2nd Refurbished Rift received today (28th March - by UPS) Initially the right side headset did not work but after some swapping L-R and swapping again R-L a couple of times resulted in stereo at last !
BUT... both lenses on the refurbished headset look like they'd been cleaned with a dirty mop - scratches and smears - 'GodRays' like never before - Ticket updated again... and waiting for responce.

Picture to follow..

rl4gmokhibel.jpg

Difficult to tell in this photo but i kept my lenses perfect from day one.. There are scratches and internal bits and smears in the refurbished unit. Such a shame Oculus quality control are lacking when their support are on the ball.  

I'm assured they are sending me a brand new headset.
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35

cybereality
Grand Champion
The refurbished units are tested, but it's possible something was missed. Please give us a moment to respond on your ticket. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

BBZ149
Protege

The refurbished units are tested, but it's possible something was missed. Please give us a moment to respond on your ticket. Thanks.

So Oculus Staff Member?
Can you confirm if this design fault has been rectified with the
replacement units? or do I have this problem to look forward to again in the future? Think I’ll
be jumping to a Vive Pro if this problem rears its ugly Head again!!