cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

JQuinn74
Protege
I’ve tried the Nvidia 388.59 and I have the same black screen results. My headset was working fine before all this happened. I left my log info in my previous messages you’ll see the errors that are popping up under OVRServiceLauncher. This new driver doesn’t work at all. Something through my headset off and its not showing up as a display in my display settings. My laptop is a MSi G63 VR stealth pro

JQuinn74
Protege

Have you tried with the latest Nvidia driver and (if that doesn't work) driver 388.59?

I’ve already done the ticket. I spoke with Buck he was cool and helpful. I sent my logs to him and he forwarded my information. Someone else emailed me at 3am this morning I replied and haven’t gotten a response from that person.

JQuinn74
Protege

Have you tried with the latest Nvidia driver and (if that doesn't work) driver 388.59?

I got an email from elspeth a few minutes ago and we’re continuing the troubleshooting 

Srilankan1
Explorer
Hi, here are my logs. its getting black screens constantly now. 

douggyvegas
Honored Guest
I don;t know if that can help,but when I have a black screen during playing,I change usb rift in another usb and usually no need to restart the pc ,til the next black screen...I have too a amplified usb hub...

Rosgillies
Adventurer
Still getting black screens after 5 to 10 mins of play. 388 drivers or latest 391.24. I see Manuel Guzman from nvidia says all fixed now. Really??? Read these posts and those on Reddit please. You too cyber Reality.

lordhelmos
Explorer
Getting black screens as well on two separate Rifts.  I returned my old one to best buy but have the same problems on a new Rift.  This is definitely driver related.

I am running a a GTX 1080Ti with the 391.24 drivers.  The issue occurs after about 20 minutes worth of play or if the rift is left idle for too long.

This is on Win10 professional 64bit.

I am using Rift Core (no beta) and ran through the following options:

1.) Disabled legacy USB 2.0 support in my BIOS (heard this causes issues).
2.) Ensured that all RIFT components (2 sensors) are plugged into USB 3.0 ports the headset is plugged into the GTX 1080TI HDMI port and USB 3.1 port.  The monitor is connected to the GTX via displayport to HDMI adapter.  I have another USB port but the same issue occurs whether the monitor or rift is on display port.
3.) Disabled all USB suspend power options in both the power plan and device manager.  Ensured all USB drives were up to date.
4.) Ran the Oculus ready tool and have green checks on all components.

I am certain this is a USB driver issue for everyone related to windows and how windows + MOBOs are attempting to regulate the huge power draw from Rift.

I am running an ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 board (this is a VR ready board with over 9 usb ports) with the following drivers:

ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.16.38.1
Intel(r) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0.0162299.251

As of these posts these are the newest drivers for the components.  These platforms had issues in the past from rift but were patched previously for compatibility -or were supposed to be which is why they are allowing my USB checks to report green on the Oculus ready tool.

Here is the core of the problem that most people have and that I see in my logs:

From Windows Event Viewer, I see this log entry every time the rift black screens:

EVENT 12:
Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:6160) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

That's your problem right there.  This is a problem in OVRServer_64.exe, which is the Rift Home program.

Despite the system already operating in high power mode, the OVRServer_64 attempts to forcibly change the power profile -which windows and mobo drivers dislike -causing a disconnect and black screen.

As others who got this deep have tried, as a work around I attempted to do the following:

1.) Setup my high performance power plan not to throttle any USB power at all (disable all power suspends on displays and USB).  Also do this in device manager in the power management tab for each component.

2.) Run from CMD.exe and type:
powercfg /list
Copy down the huge number value that corresponds to the GUID/PID of your power plan.

3.) Open Windows Policy Auditor and navigate to:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management.

To be safe I enabled the policy for "Turn Off Power Throttling"
I also went into "Specify a custom active power plan" enabled it, then put the GUID/PID number of my customized "High Performance Power Plan" in the box.

I haven't extensively tested this to see if it will stop the black screens but it in theory, should stop Rift Home from messing with the system power plan and causing conflicts with Windows and the USB Mobo drivers.

There is 100% a fatal error in the Rift Home software (OVERServer_x64) in the way it manages power plans and draws power for RIFT.  This needs to be really looked at by the RIFT team because I believe it is the core of most of the blackscreen issues.

LJKIV
Honored Guest
2+ weeks Black Screen orange light.  Purchased about 17 days ago.  Worked fine first day.  After went to sleep...black screen orange light.  Have tried all suggested fixes in this forum including rolling back the driver to the 388.59.  Updated this morning to the driver released yesterday by Nvidia that purported to fix issue.  no joy.  Logs attached.  What is weird is the sound works, it detects me when I put hmd on and Oculus starts.  if you run a program you can see on the monitor that it detects that it is working.  Driver device manger shows the rift sensors but I don't see HMD detected.   I have seen multiple others with the same problem.  software/hardware conflict? RMA next step?

Jeetman
Honored Guest
After starting my computer, when I click on the Oculus start up, I hear a warning sound then the screen goes completely black. I have no video control from my PC but when I put on the Oculus headset, the Oculus works fine. My PC screen is still black but I'm able to access the Oculus home menu and features. Only the virtual desktop option is missing. Other than that, I can access and play the 3D content in my library. As a test, I unplugged the HDMI cable on the headset from my PC video card and low and behold, I got my video back on my PC. It appears that the Oculus headset is overriding the main PC video display on my GTX 1080 Nvidia card. This just started happening 2 days ago March 19th, 2018. After the first time I got this problem, I updated my video driver through GeForce's "experience" program. It did not fix the problem.

Vikingsblade
Honored Guest
I have a Black Screen headset but my app on pc works fine,i dont even get a varning sound/text its just black.Latest driver on grafic.