cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Move Oculus Games to New Hard Drive on New Computer?

TheLoneGunman
Explorer
Hi, I have built a new computer and want to move my Oculus games from the old computer's hard drive to the new hard drive on the new computer.  I have searched online and see that you can move the games to a new hard drive by "link"ing them to the old hard drive.  However, I don't want to "link" them to the old hard drive at all as it is an entirely new computer.  I don't want to re-download everything as it is over 100gb of games.  I also don't want to lose my saved games / game progress.  Can someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

cybereality
Grand Champion
See here:
https://support.oculus.com/190738628001661/
However, you'll still need to manually backup saved game files.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TheLoneGunman
Explorer
How do I backup the saved games? Where are they stored? Thanks.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Each game may store in a slightly different location. However, most of them will be in your Windows user folder (C:/Windows/Users/YourName) most commonly in Documents or AppData (somewhere). A few games also support cloud saves, but many do not.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LZoltowski
Champion
Yup what Cyber said, just do a search on your drive for the name of the game and see what pops up, for Example, Lone Echo does it a bit different and stores the save in: Oculus\Software\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo\_local  for me.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Mach13-13
Explorer
I found out to my cost yesterday that the 'moving' option in rift doesn't always move the saved game files (although it had done until now) so I when I moved Lone Echo to another drive I inadvertently lost all the game saves (having just completed the game just the day previously) Arghh 😞

I tried checking the original location for the files but they were gone!  So... i'm having to start over.  Lesson learnt!

That said I don't mind so much as Lone Echo is an epic experience and i'd planned to go through it again but taking my time to look around more and complete those secondary missions.. Just hadn't quite figured on doing that quite so quickly.

Solution for now...
I have a separate back-up software option that comes with my AV (Norton) so i'm going to setup a special Oculus Game Saves back-up profile and add all of those pesky files on each game that I play  where losing progress would mean real tears.

There ought to be a warning on the moving files screen re game saves... and if there is one it needs to be MUCH BIGGERER..
MY RIG: Intel i7 4790, 16Gb Ram, Zotac Mini 1070Ti. Addon USB 3.0 card, SSD drive x2 and 1TB Hybrid Drive.
MY Rift 3 (wall mounted) Sensor Setup

Sensors don't like the sun... :smile:

JcTrickY
Honored Guest
Save happen to me i moove the game location and i loose all my progression....

morsify
Protege
Google VRBackupper - it's a free tool for backiing up/restoring Oculus Rift and its games, apps, etc. It can also move your Oculus Rift installation directory to another drive.

I used this little app a couple of weeks ago to move my Oculus install onto another drive and it worked well. I didn't lose any saves either (though I only had a few Oculus games - most of mine are Steam games, which also has it's own 'move location' option).

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, i7 9770K, 16GB DDR4, EVGA RTX2070XC 8GB Ultra Gaming, AOC 32" monitor, 2 x Inatek PCI USB controllers, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 64 Home

32Schenker
Protege
Hello everyone!
I'm in the same situation as the original poster. I just purchased a new computer and I am trying to move my saved games and game progress from the old system to the new one. So far, I can't seem to find any procedures that actually work.
What's the latest on how to do this? Or is it not possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone!
I'm in the same situation as the original poster. I just purchased a new computer and I am trying to move my saved games and game progress from the old system to the new one. So far, I can't seem to find any procedures that actually work.
What's the latest on how to do this? Or is it not possible?

https://support.oculus.com/190738628001661/