cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

Vikingsblade
Honored Guest

I have a Black Screen headset but my app on pc works fine,i dont even get a varning sound/text its just black.Latest driver on grafic.

so i did a test and reintalled the previus Nvidia driver 391.01 and behold my rift lives again.

lordhelmos
Explorer
I opened a support ticket with a huge dump of technical information above.  I think this is the core of the issue right here:

From Windows Event Viewer, I see this log entry every time the rift black screens:

EVENT 12:
Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:6160) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

I really think this an issue with how OVRServer_x64 conflicts with windows powerplans and motherboard drivers.  Unfortunately outside of the troubleshooting steps I outlined above, all we can do is patient wait for a fix from Oculus Support to patch the OVRServer conflicts with popular motherboard and video drivers.

My technical assumption on this is that the RIFT has a huge USB power draw that is above the normal parameters of a standard USB device (which makes sense for the headset considering it is powering two 1080p screens that are projecting right into your eyeballs + full auto + motion tracking + mic).

The OVRServer software uses some kind of custom script/method to tell windows its "ok" to draw this power -an event that windows and certain motherboards would consider abnormal behavior and cut off to prevent resource problems on the system.

I assume the OVR script/method does not play nice with specific motherboard drivers and windows configurations -which causes the MOBO and/or windows power management controls to detect the voltage spike as abnormal then shut down the port that the HMD is connected to -thus blackscreening your RIFT.

Oculus and the driver manufacturers for the hardware need to coordinate to ensure that they co-op a solution that allows the abnormal power draw without putting the HMD or mobo at risk of overload.  After all, voltage is a very sensitive thing.

Questmbl
Explorer
The Nvidia driver update is live. I updated my graphics card 6 or 7 hours hours ago. Left my computer on and my rift plugged in. Appears my Black screen issue is resolved. Before the update I would need to reset my computer, the screen in the headset would jitter and then go black, resetting was the only remedy. Hope this helps all who are having this problem.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, the new Nvidia driver came out this week but reports from the community are mixed.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

JQuinn74
Protege
same results here black screen as always

JQuinn74
Protege
Here we go again.

Rosgillies
Adventurer
What an absolute cock up guys. Black screen again and again on AC and pc2. Latest driver. Pooh!!!

Rosgillies
Adventurer

I opened a support ticket with a huge dump of technical information above.  I think this is the core of the issue right here:

From Windows Event Viewer, I see this log entry every time the rift black screens:

EVENT 12:
Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:6160) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

I really think this an issue with how OVRServer_x64 conflicts with windows powerplans and motherboard drivers.  Unfortunately outside of the troubleshooting steps I outlined above, all we can do is patient wait for a fix from Oculus Support to patch the OVRServer conflicts with popular motherboard and video drivers.

My technical assumption on this is that the RIFT has a huge USB power draw that is above the normal parameters of a standard USB device (which makes sense for the headset considering it is powering two 1080p screens that are projecting right into your eyeballs + full auto + motion tracking + mic).

The OVRServer software uses some kind of custom script/method to tell windows its "ok" to draw this power -an event that windows and certain motherboards would consider abnormal behavior and cut off to prevent resource problems on the system.

I assume the OVR script/method does not play nice with specific motherboard drivers and windows configurations -which causes the MOBO and/or windows power management controls to detect the voltage spike as abnormal then shut down the port that the HMD is connected to -thus blackscreening your RIFT.

Oculus and the driver manufacturers for the hardware need to coordinate to ensure that they co-op a solution that allows the abnormal power draw without putting the HMD or mobo at risk of overload.  After all, voltage is a very sensitive thing.

Devs take note, I think this chap is on to something. Worth a definite look dont you think?

DreamerO
Explorer
I've gotten the black screen a few times and resolved to restarting my machine. 
Will do my part and get the log files. Noticed that this hasn't really been a problem until after I noticed when I would idle for a while in my Oculus Home that my screen wouldn't just turn black....it would sporadically turn back on and I would find myself glitched out under my base (as if the sensors just totally lost me)