Not to point out the elephant in the room... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Not to point out the elephant in the room...

DreamerODreamerO Posts: 10
NerveGear
Facebook. Sorry if that felt like being singled out -- because what ended up happening is thousands of Americans were singled out in targeted advertisement campaigns, in an information war campaign between the USA and Russia.

Not looking to discuss the bigger existential crisis afoot, only...how do you feel about Oculus? 
Has your impression changed any?

Comments

• matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    And the chinese factory that your iphone is outscourced to manufacture, also ships random quality electrical components to north korea. So what.

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,047
    Wintermute
    edited March 2018
    DreamerO said:
    because what ended up happening is thousands of Americans were singled out in targeted advertisement campaigns, in an information war campaign between the USA and Russia.

With a population of around 326,000,000 I don't think thousands of Americans would make any difference.
    Also you seem to forget that Facebook doesn't only service USA, there's a whole world of people just over the water from the US that use the Facebook thing too.

DreamerO said:
    ...how do you feel about Oculus? 

Oculus, to me, is the provider of virtual reality hardware and software that speaks for itself.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,592 Valuable Player
    I couldn't give a monkey's tbh, I guarantee you that it isn't the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. They may lose a few users over this in the US but it won't make that much of a dent in the billions that Facebook earns so it won't affect Oculus in any way.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,741 Volunteer Moderator
    Phew, started to read this thread and thought this was going to escalate quickly, thanks for being civil and not making this political etc ... I will allow this thread as long as common sense is used :) 

And yes, I don't care either, I haven't used FB in 6 years, Oculus as a company I love .. so there.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    edited March 2018
    I am getting rid of Facebook because of this news - it is a great excuse to finally do it without having to explain to all my friends and family that I absolutely hate being on Facebook. LOL

I am kind of hoping they take a big enough hit that it is feasible to buy some shares in their stock. Because I think there is a possibility for some money to be made potentially.

Have to say that Zuckerberg interview on CNN was something else - he looked like he wanted to puke.

As for it's effect on how I think of Oculus - I still kind of see them as a separate company and I hope they aren't affected by this to much. I haven't noticed anything near as insidious as FB in terms of data mining - I mean I haven't used any of the multiplayer / social aspects of it, and likely won't (I barely play multiplayer games on flat screen). So the information required to set up an Oculus account seems pretty innocuous to me.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Though it's the same company, I don't feel tied to Facebook. I hate Facebook since the beginning (I had a profile I quickly erased three months later), I own a Rift and really love it, I don't feel like there is anything between the two of them
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    I do feel like Facebook bought Oculus because of the possibility of a Social VR space - and I do think that FacebookVR is an inevitability. But as long as it is not forced on me to use the Oculus Rift (or any of the Oculus hardware coming out), I don't see it as being invasive.

If I ever am required to have a Facebook account to use the hardware - that may change my opinion slightly.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,889 Valuable Player
    DreamerO said:
    Facebook. Sorry if that felt like being singled out -- because what ended up happening is thousands of Americans were singled out in targeted advertisement campaigns, in an information war campaign between the USA and Russia.

Not looking to discuss the bigger existential crisis afoot, only...how do you feel about Oculus? 

People who willingly shared information are suddenly angry that the same information was shared. I honestly could care less about the issue.

I mean hell, all of this is happening over the Internet, which has maintained a healthy those of exploitable flaws since Day 1. Like the TCP vulnerability which allowed Session Hijacking and IP Spoofing since 2012:
    https://threatpost.com/serious-tcp-bug-in-linux-systems-allows-traffic-hijacking/119804/

Even if someone has never been on Social Media or the Internet... all of your info are belong to them. Cell phone monitoring, regular analogue phone monitoring, banking systems collect and share data when their not having to deal with Hackers who stole all the data.

FFS, the damn Geek Squad at Best Buy has given our data to the FBI lol

New documents show FBI paid Best Buy’s Geek Squad staff to act as informants

http://bgr.com/2018/03/07/best-buy-geek-squad-paid-fbi-informants/

My favorite thing about this Facebook "data leak" issue is that people on Facebook were complaining, on Facebook, about "thinking about leaving Facebook." It was trending news, on Facebook.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

People who willingly shared information are suddenly angry that the same information was shared. I honestly could care less about the issue.

Everything is said ! ;)
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

• DreamerODreamerO Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Incredibly satisfied on how civil everyone has been in this discussion. Obviously this should come as no surprise to anyone, really--and it may be that people who tend to build / buy Oculus hardware may already have this understanding....or it may be just implicitly understood that digital data isn't as secure as the public thinks.

Personally, I'm all for the hardware. The concern I have is the negative side effects that can come from this type of bad publicity trickling down into the VR environment. Oculus, being owned by Facebook...will surely come into scrutiny....if not for the data privacy issues, the true value of VR is still to be determined overall (and the place Oculus has within it)
  • DreamerODreamerO Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Morgrum said:
    Yep look at what you are agreeing to when you click on a TOS agreement.

Or else you will end up like Kyle on South Park.

This may be the most elegant metaphor for generic ToS
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,415 Valuable Player
    DreamerO said:

Thanks for the measured way to bring this up.
    Yes, if you are on this forum you have already got thick enough skin. The loyal supporters of Oculus have seen their fair share of ups and downs, with the original company's acquisition by FB which generated enough bad feeling with some - then seeing various management issues that again created bad feeling with some, as well as uncomfortable departures, a legal battle, and fall out from media problems over the temporary bricking of hardware. What a ride!

But even with all this, the true Oculus VR community has stayed strong, and the support, has grown, for the hardware,  not diminished. And to be frank, the level of positive energy surroundings the announcement of OGO and SC seems to point to a very strong future line-up of development. As one ex-Oculus employee stated to me - "...its should be about the experience not the internal politics!"

Lets hope we can get this back on track soon.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    There's talk of class action lawsuits now lol

Hopefully not going to affect Facebook's investments into developers if they end up losing a few billion, but I can't imagine Facebook having to pay a penny for donkey's years anyway. They'll have the things tied up in appeals for YEARS if they lose, same as they're doing with the Zenimax nonsense.

Personally if I was among the defendants in THAT case I'd do the same thing, but if there came a time to cough up they would get it dumped in Zenimax's lobby in pennies lol :D :D :D

I don't really use Facebook that much tbh, I use it to keep contact with friends I haven't seen in years but that's about it. I only have a Facebook account because you've got bugger all chance of getting a job without one lol :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

I thought this thread was originally from someone who found pictures of me 15 yrs ago when I resembled an elephant before I became a gym bunny.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

When I win the Euromillions I'm going to buy an elephant just for a laugh lol

Heffalumps are awesome. One of my favourite animals along with tigers and pandas. Sod it, I'll buy a tiger and a panda too B)

I went to London Zoo years ago and a tiger was sitting right at the glass panel of its cage. So I kneeled down to say 'hello puss cat!', the thing roared at me and I nearly filled my trousers lmfao :o :blush: :o

I went to London Zoo years ago and a tiger was sitting right at the glass panel of its cage. So I kneeled down to say 'hello puss cat!', the thing roared at me and I nearly filled my trousers lmfao :o :blush: :o

Yup, he tried to ram/claw at the window, knocked me off my feet. true story.

Facebook has always been underfire, it is only growing now because they are getting quite big after taking over Instagram and now Virtual Reality.

Facebook isn't alone in the flames... check out what's happening with Amazon as of today. Yikes!
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,997 Valuable Player
    As humans

we must always have bent up or twisted panties.

This is all
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 908
    3Jane
    It doesn’t bother me as long as Oculus isn’t affected by Facebook’s politics / mismanagement / privacy breaches. Best if Oculus is run as a totally independent entity from Facebook, but the shaming and ouster of Palmer Luckey doesn’t bode well. I like Oculus having Facebook’s money, but not being under their thumb so much. If the Luckey debacle had happened BEFORE I bought my VR, I don’t know if it would have affected my buying decision or not. I do think Rift is the superior VR experience, so I hate to see politics get involved in it, as it already has. Imagine if the current anti-gun flap affects video games, and leads to an eventual ban / censorship of games involving guns? What if Zuck decides Rift should be primarily a social platform and discourages games with any hint of violence. So many considerations!
    edited March 2018
    It doesn’t bother me as long as Oculus isn’t affected by Facebook’s politics / mismanagement / privacy breaches. Best if Oculus is run as a totally independent entity from Facebook, but the shaming and ouster of Palmer Luckey doesn’t bode well. I like Oculus having Facebook’s money, but not being under their thumb so much. If the Luckey debacle had happened BEFORE I bought my VR, I don’t know if it would have affected my buying decision or not. I do think Rift is the superior VR experience, so I hate to see politics get involved in it, as it already has. Imagine if the current anti-gun flap affects video games, and leads to an eventual ban / censorship of games involving guns? What if Zuck decides Rift should be primarily a social platform and discourages games with any hint of violence. So many considerations!

Oculus was affected by the politics of Palmer, and Facebook corrected it in a way that allowed Oculus to continue forward and thrive. I hope that this trend continues.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,051
    Wintermute
    Do you guys think Facebook will ever sell Oculus? Like sell it back to Palmer Luckey or another company?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited March 2018
    Do you guys think Facebook will ever sell Oculus? Like sell it back to Palmer Luckey or another company?

Facebook is integrating VR directly in to their Social Media platform. Why would they sell their own ecosystem to another company? That's like asking if Amazon would sell their food & grocery line back to Whole Foods.

Aside from that, Zuckerberg has acknowledged that Facebook itself has fostered the wrong type of "human interaction," and he believes that Virtual Reality is the future. Where Social Media failed, VR will succeed. Virtual Reality is the future of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

There is no going back.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,468 Volunteer Moderator
    elboffor said:
    The world has gone mad!
    Image result for i feel like im taking crazy pills
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,415 Valuable Player
    Do you guys think Facebook will ever sell Oculus? Like sell it back to PL or another company?

Interesting question - I think from what we have seen internally with the new FB management style that came in after the previous management left or were relocated - that Facebook VR may merge with OVR to create a stronger operation, building off of the expected social media explosion in VR that OGO and SC are hoped to engender.

Whether the OVR brand would survive this, or if it would all be rebranded Facebook VR to distance from previous poor associations is another matter - we know there are a large (and vocal) fan-base that would not accept the diminishing of the OVR brand. But selling... no not an option unless it can be spun as a positive for FB's aspirations in this field.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 908
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:

Oculus was affected by the politics of Palmer, and Facebook corrected it in a way that allowed Oculus to continue forward and thrive. I hope that this trend continues.

How was Oculus affected by the politics of Palmer? It was the overreaction to said politics that caused the problem. 
    edited March 2018
    Zenbane said:

How was Oculus affected by the politics of Palmer? It was the overreaction to said politics that caused the problem. 

You know how. You saw it happen and commented on it at that time, and it was already stated. Consumers and Developers openly expressed via outlets such as Social Media their desire and intent to no longer support Oculus while Palmer remained.

Whether it was an overreaction or not is purely your opinion, and irrelevant. The point is that there was a widespread reaction and Facebook remedied the problem properly.