cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

Garribean
Honored Guest
Just got a new Dell Insprion 7577, got it setup for the Rift and now it either never shows anything on the LCD or will work for 5 mins then go dark and not show anything again. But will still hear audio.

Tried 391.24, rolling back to 388.59 and 388.31, but nothing has worked so far. Sometimes I can reboot and Rift will work for 5 mins then black screen and I have to reboot again.

douggyvegas
Honored Guest
things haven't change...something strange now for me,black screen occures sometimes after 10 mn or more than one hour,never happens at the same time.I use last nvidia drivers.

Srilankan1
Explorer
Hey, big update. I went on the theory posted in this thread about usb's not being able to power the headset. So today after i was still getting blackouts with everything i tried, i plugged the rift into the vive breakout box and powered usb switch. Just played for several hours with no issues whatsoever. So Oculus. Please pay attention. whats going on with the usbs and power. people are buying cables but maybe they dont need to?

nrosko
Superstar

Haplo123 said:

Hey, big update. I went on the theory posted in this thread about usb's not being able to power the headset. So today after i was still getting blackouts with everything i tried, i plugged the rift into the vive breakout box and powered usb switch. Just played for several hours with no issues whatsoever. So Oculus. Please pay attention. whats going on with the usbs and power. people are buying cables but maybe they dont need to?

yeah for me it seems the ongoing usb issue is the most frustrating from Oculus. I never got black screen from it but many many errors, tracking issues. This is on 2 separate pcs same problems  tried all sorts of tips & power configs to solve this & i have the recommended usb3 extension card but this seems worse than just using my mobo ports. @This problem seems to come & go for me. what is the vive breakout box is this part of the vive package?  

edm448
Honored Guest
Several months of progressively deteriorating black screen events which knocked out my Rift and main monitor screen, requiring a reboot, have been totally cured by activating a battery charging mode in BIOS for my USB3.1 connection on an ASUS Z170A mb. Plugging my Rift headset into that higher powered USB source IMMEDIATELY cured the black screen problem and also eliminated continuous error and warning messages shown in the Event Viewer. Previously I have tried all the recommendations on this forum and the patches from Oculus and am now running the latest Nvidia driver. Nothing completely worked before this USB fix. There is likely a transient or marginally high current draw by the Rift headset which is reacting with Win10 to shut off the video. 
Since raising the current availability for the Rift headset's USB connection I have used the Rift and Touch for at least twelve hours with all the games that previously caused shutdown running perfectly.
It is an easy fix if your computer has the higher current capability available in BIOS settings. 

Rosgillies
Adventurer

edm448 said:

Several months of progressively deteriorating black screen events which knocked out my Rift and main monitor screen, requiring a reboot, have been totally cured by activating a battery charging mode in BIOS for my USB3.1 connection on an ASUS Z170A mb. Plugging my Rift headset into that higher powered USB source IMMEDIATELY cured the black screen problem and also eliminated continuous error and warning messages shown in the Event Viewer. Previously I have tried all the recommendations on this forum and the patches from Oculus and am now running the latest Nvidia driver. Nothing completely worked before this USB fix. There is likely a transient or marginally high current draw by the Rift headset which is reacting with Win10 to shut off the video. 
Since raising the current availability for the Rift headset's USB connection I have used the Rift and Touch for at least twelve hours with all the games that previously caused shutdown running perfectly.
It is an easy fix if your computer has the higher current capability available in BIOS settings. 

Followed your suggestion with my Z170 mate. So far NO black screens especially in ETS2 and Asseto corsa. Used to last 10 mins max gameplay with those two titles. So many thanks. Glad I did`nt buy a cheapo mobo.

danknugz
Superstar

edm448 said:

this also worked perfectly for me, i started getting the drop outs in some games last week, and I also have an asus z170, thanks a lot for the pointer. the audio isnt crackling in those games anymore either.

it looks like the usb cord for the HMD (which appsrently carries the audio signal) is highly sensitive to the power levels / current coming through the slot. and @cybereality even mentioned that it was OK to use usb 2.0 for that, I tried that last summer and immediately got the crackling (but not the hmd blackouts like I started getting last week).

after turning on the charging for the usb 3.1 slot and using that for the audio / hmd usb connection, no more audio crackling, no hmd blackouts and the tracking might even seem a little stabler.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer
What do you guys think, what difference enabling the bios setting for usb charging mode actually made? 
As understood, it only powers the port even when the system is shut off, so a connected device can keep charging? Maybe this setting also inhibits some kind of windows power suspend that otherwise took place even during runtime?

I find it strange that windows would suspend the power for an usb device currently in use and even more so since the rift is the first ever device this seems to happen?

I still run the 389.13 driver with the classic home, hesitating from changing anything for fear of breaking it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't know if anyone knows, but a new Nvidia driver just rolled out. I installed and haven't run into the problem with them so far.

edm448
Honored Guest

What do you guys think, what difference enabling the bios setting for usb charging mode actually made? 
As understood, it only powers the port even when the system is shut off, so a connected device can keep charging? Maybe this setting also inhibits some kind of windows power suspend that otherwise took place even during runtime?

I find it strange that windows would suspend the power for an usb device currently in use and even more so since the rift is the first ever device this seems to happen?

I still run the 389.13 driver with the classic home, hesitating from changing anything for fear of breaking it.

That BIOS setting, at least on the ASUS Z170 board, is a higher current continuous operating mode, not just a battery charger. I believe the Rift draws a marginally high current in excess of the specified capability of the normal USB source. It may only do this sometimes although I founld it was sensitive to Touch movement or maybe scene brightness since some games consistently would trigger a blackout at the same place. Somehow that high current or short spike interacts with Windows to kill the video. The fix is working quite well for me and if you don't have a high current USB mode available on your board it may be worth the effort to try to raise the USB power capability for the Rift headset with something like the  Vive breakout box and a powered switch like Haplo123 recommended a few posts earlier.
I hope Oculus finds a fix to reduce the current draw on the existing Rifts and eliminate this problem.