cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go for Movies and Video Content.

Dilip
Rising Star
Since oculus go is using different lenses from Gear VR and is having more resolution then Oculus CV1 and technically more pixel available than Gear VR. Go is also said to have fixed foveted rendering deployed  ( fixed foveted rendering can improve "Movie Screen"aka center area of app)

Will this all going to sum up as better looking Netflix VR app, or better Cinema App ?,

As atm Netflix VR app is having very poor rating on Google play store, understandably its not fault of APP but VR Hmds to show VHS quality video in age of 4K, obviously who will watch it? If  Oculus Go can revive the VR Cinema App genre, i can't wait to see "Altered Carbon" and "Stranger Things" on my personal movie theater class screen if i could get at least 1366X768 quality and 100" VR size.

Can who tried Oculus GO confirm what is Movie Screen Perception Quality on GO???
12 REPLIES 12

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
The thing is, I love VR, I loved watching VR short documentaries and animations etc on Oculus Store, but other then that I just prefer to play games in VR. And buy short, I mean, 5-10 minutes tops.

I prefer to watch movies on a projector or TV, thats what movies were made for.

I don't see point of trying to watch a film in VR, I wouldn't ever want to do this. And I don't think many others would either.

UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have watched many blu-rays and netflix movies in Big Screen - and plenty of TV shows too. I enjoy it very much - and it is one of the reasons I have very much interested in the Go.

Dilip
Rising Star
https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/03/oculus-go-will-support-usb-storage-according-to-john-carmack/

Wait a second, Does Oculus GO lack SD card slot? 
Really ???
Not including SD card slot on "VR all in one" is terrible mistake, Why Oculus, Just Why ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dilip said:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/03/oculus-go-will-support-usb-storage-according-to-john-carmack/

Wait a second, Does Oculus GO lack SD card slot? 
Really ???
Not including SD card slot on "VR all in one" is terrible mistake, Why Oculus, Just Why ??

But you will be able to use micro usb and streaming.
I love watching videos and movies on the Rift to the extent I have not watch any on my monitor since purchase.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Yeah, micro USB will do the job, and they had to keep cost at lower possible; fine for me.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Dilip
Rising Star

YoLolo69 said:

Yeah, micro USB will do the job, and they had to keep cost at lower possible; fine for me.

Cost cutting understandable but should't be done at place where it affect overall productivity while consider all use cases. 

YoLolo69
Trustee
I think about one more use case they forgot : the ability to connect it to a PC so to use it as a Rift CV1.5 with improved screen... Nope, just joking, could have raised the production price.

It's a product which fit perfectly tons of use cases IMHO, and they got the price amazingly right (should have been hard to fit al that in 199$!). Lack of SD is far to be a show stopper considering you can copy movies on internal memory or use USB stick. Sometimes you have to stop adding features...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

inovator
Consultant
I would love it for movies etc but it doesn't solve the problem for me the fact I need contacts to use it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

inovator said:

I would love it for movies etc but it doesn't solve the problem for me the fact I need contacts to use it. 

The Go is advertised as suitable for glasses and the latest Tested video confirmed that it was fine with glasses.
"It can even be used with glasses." from https://www.oculus.com/go/