cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready Player One a review from a gamer/tech/vr enthusiast angle (might contain minor spoilers)

LZoltowski
Champion
So I came to the theatre with many expectations and a giddy sense of wonder. 

The movie ticked a lot of the right boxes for me, it is 70% CGI animation (think all the best CGI cut scenes from games like Diablo, Overwatch Mini series, Halo, Final Fantasy, GTA etc) and 30% Live action with that Steven Spielberg twist. The movie requires at least two further viewings to spot all the nods to pop and gaming culture.

Some interesting, easy to digest points:
  • Interesting was the use of VR tech that is already in development today, Omni floors for movement, haptic feedback suits, motion chairs etc
  • The movie uses a clever way for facial expressions to be transferred to the VR world with something that is the same tech as the iphone X laser 3d camera and Animoji.. which makes me feel that tech will imitate art on this one pretty soon and we will see this implemented in future HMDs
  • This makes the tech in the movie a bit dated for where it is set 2044. Many of the headsets look like Gear VR or DK1 !!!
  • There are 3 scenes where the VIVE logo is used, I think Oculus really missed a huge opportunity here.
  • The movie has many laugh out loud scenes that will only make sense to gamers, esp RPG and fantasy players.
  • There is an excellent Stanley Kubrick tribute in the middle of the movie which made me smile from ear to ear through the whole thing.
  • The entire thing is a gamers nirvana, with clever nods to the way we play games and how involved we can get in them
  • Entire economies exist because of VR in this movie, with people making money from mods and content creation, I see this happening more and more in VR, people already make money from mods in 2d games, so it's a natural progression.
  • FUCKING GUNDAM FIGHTING MEGA ROBOT GODZILLA SCENE!

I give the movie 8/10 .. its a lot of fun, a  lot of nostalgia feelz and a vision with so much potential! I recommend seeing it on the biggest screen you can in 3d.

When leaving the theatre I overheard a few people say, "I need to get into VR"

Oh and my partner now wants a VR rig ... FML ... there goes the new house fund.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
70 REPLIES 70

Digikid1
Consultant
I listened to the audiobook.......TWICE!  IN ONE WEEK!

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow!!!

LZoltowski
Champion

Digikid1 said:

I listened to the audiobook.......TWICE!  IN ONE WEEK!

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow!!!

It's a LOT of fun!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Im not gonna watch it till it´s released on other medias, but im definately looking forward to watch it.
 A friend of mine who tried my rift a month ago came by the other day and talked about the movie and how it was all about VR and since he had enjoyed those sessions with rift, he was gonna se it at the premiere.

That´s why I really love your last comment @LZoltowski , VR is really getting through to mainstream by now. We have some exiting years ahead of us.

Personally I feel like I have lived during the most exciting period of mankind. At the age of 44, I have experienced the birth of the personal computer that turned into an entertainment center. The internet and VR. The list could go on ...

My focus left a bit .. Thing is, I love Spielberg and what he have done for the evolution of technology through his films, this might be his last movie, so im sure it´s packed with references, as you mention as well in op.
Be good, die great !

LZoltowski
Champion

KlodsBrik said:

Im not gonna watch it till it´s released on other medias, but im definately looking forward to watch it.
 A friend of mine who tried my rift a month ago came by the other day and talked about the movie and how it was all about VR and since he had enjoyed those sessions with rift, he was gonna se it at the premiere.

That´s why I really love your last comment @LZoltowski , VR is really getting through to mainstream by now. We have some exiting years ahead of us.

Personally I feel like I have lived during the most exciting period of mankind. At the age of 44, I have experienced the birth of the personal computer that turned into an entertainment center. The internet and VR. The list could go on ...

My focus left a bit .. Thing is, I love Spielberg and what he have done for the evolution of technology through his films, this might be his last movie, so im sure it´s packed with references, as you mention as well in op.

Hope you get to enjoy it soon 🙂 It's so much fun/

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I plan to watch it based on (VR) principal alone. So far I have mixed feelings about the overall approach to showing the world what VR can achieve via a big screen film.

Personally, I would have preferred the first big budget VR movie to be a bit less...

And a bit more...

Na' mean?

But in the end I can't complain. The movie has received positive reception overall. And hopefully now, finally, we can stop reading clickbait taglines about VR being a fad or struggling to go mainstream.

LZoltowski
Champion

Zenbane said:

I plan to watch it based on (VR) principal alone. So far I have mixed feelings about the overall approach to showing the world what VR can achieve via a big screen film.

Personally, I would have preferred the first big budget VR movie to be a bit less...

And a bit more...

Na' mean?

But in the end I can't complain. The movie has received positive reception overall. And hopefully now, finally, we can stop reading clickbait taglines about VR being a fad or struggling to go mainstream.

I think you will find it's less Elsa and more a VR MMO 🙂

Be kind to one another 🙂

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
From what I gather about the reviews, it's an 80's Easter egg hunt.  For that reason alone, I'm interested.  A bit like the Technolust references. 

Digikid1
Consultant
Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. 

Oh and whoever said there was Voltron in it....sry but that’s wrong.....it was just a Gundam. Still cool though. 

LZoltowski
Champion

Digikid1 said:

Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. 

Oh and whoever said there was Voltron in it....sry but that’s wrong.....it was just a Gundam. Still cool though. 

Gundam was baddass, I almost got up to applaud.

Be kind to one another 🙂