cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countless issues with my Rift

MentalParadox
Explorer
I see you deleted my post, so I'll just repost. You'll have to ban me if you want me to shut up.

My Rift used to work mostly fine. Then, I wiped my PC and reinstalled Windows 7, and did not use VR for over a year. Now, I tried to come back. And what a bitter disappointment it is. I'll list the issues I'm having. 

The first issue, I've had the last time I used VR. Annoying microstuttering in tracking. Regardless of how many times I reinstall software or what USB 3.0 socket I use, it always stutters and makes me nauseous. But this, if you can believe it, I have gotten used to. There are much worse problems now...

Complete loss of tracking. The tracking regularly fails now. First the positional tracking, then the directional tracking stars failing. Occasionally it comes back briefly, only to fail again. This is vomit-inducing. It happens so frequently, I just can't use it anymore. I tried changing USB socket. I tried rebooting the PC. Nothing works. The tracker is in the same place it's always been, and back then it worked. Mostly...

The Oculus program is unstable and crashes. Apps will suddenly slow down and become unresponsive. It starts getting so slow and unstable, I can't even quit the app without doing control+alt+delete and killing the process from there. Also, my entire computer is noticably slower (bordering on unusable) since installing the Oculus software. Just turning the app off doesn't fix this, only a reboot briefly does. I've had this issue before last time I used the Rift. I reported the problem here, and was called 'crazy' for daring to suggest the Oculus software negatively affected Windows. Well guess what, it happened again. On a clean PC, with a clean install of both Windows and Oculus. 

So yeah... suggestions, anyone? I really don't have the money for another tracker. My enthusiasm for VR dissipated along with my bank account some time in 2016.
22 REPLIES 22

MentalParadox
Explorer
Some more info, that shows it's not my PC being inadequate...

Sometimes the position of the 'camera' (my vision) jerks in a random direction a foot or so, then jerks back. And during the more severe stutters, the audio stutters too. This is not an FPS problem. I swear this did NOT happen last time I used VR on this PC.

MentalParadox
Explorer
Also, the milder form of stuttering only happens when I move my head, not when I use the mouse for looking around.

Sneakygloworm
Expert Protege
I've had that a couple of times. mainly when one of the sensors was blocked. Are you using a third party USB Hub? Do you have extended cables for the sensors? Is your headset being blocked by anything? What about moving your sensors around a bit? I have one 6 feet to my left and 6 feet up on a wall facing me and the other is 4 feet behind me and 6 feet up to the right. I have no tracking issues with them now.

It may be worth just raising a ticket with oculus if you get no joy by testing yourself, going through all the pre-defined questions and getting it resolved that way. It could very well be a rift hardware issue. It is frustrating but you could literally go bonkers trying to troubleshoot on forums because of the different setups and solutions people have. 

MentalParadox
Explorer

Sneakygloworm said:
It is frustrating but you could literally go bonkers trying to troubleshoot on forums because of the different setups and solutions people have. 

Agreed. I wonder if the low adoption rate of VR partially has something to do with how hard it can be to troubleshoot. Phones are literally plug-and-play, but with VR so much can go wrong because of people owning different kinds of hardware.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Sneakygloworm said:
It is frustrating but you could literally go bonkers trying to troubleshoot on forums because of the different setups and solutions people have. 

Agreed. I wonder if the low adoption rate of VR partially has something to do with how hard it can be to troubleshoot. Phones are literally plug-and-play, but with VR so much can go wrong because of people owning different kinds of hardware.

There's not much that can go wrong with VR if your PC is set up right to run it. If your PC is setup right then it's the Oculus Hardware that's faulting which means contacting Oculus Support. They will ask you for a log file to determine if it's the CV1 causing the problem. There's a couple of things to look out at though. Disable background programs that might be causing a conflict is a big one. Also, install an older Geforce driver, the recommended one for a Geforce is 388.59 right now for anyone having problems. It's been mentioned in the forums that the latest one can cause problems. Other then that it's more likely a hardware fault, but Oculus Support should be able to determine this..

inovator
Consultant
Because of what was said above, so many things that can go wrong with a pc because of the many set up options is why Playstation vr sold over 2 million units and is climbing in sales. I have both the rift and Sony vr. If I couldn't get my pc going I would hang it up and go with Playstation 

RattyUK
Trustee

/snip/
And is it possible that the latest update is really catering mainly to Windows 10, mine is 7 and that's why there are so few people complaining?

I run both Windows 7 & 10 with the Oculus Rift and performance seems to be about the same on both.  Initially with a GTX970, now with a 1080, performance was quite acceptable on the 970 but it was spending most of its time running flat out.

The stuttering (jumping? ) when you move your head sounds like losing tracking on the sensors as I suffered that noticibly before going 3 sensors, mainly as I'd move out of view by turning away from them!

A license for Windows 10 pro can be bought, legally, for less than £20 from www.softwaregeeks.co.uk if you wanted to go that route.

Sorry I can't offer anything more constructive to assist with the problem but do hope that you get to the bottom of the problems.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

LZoltowski
Champion
Have a read of this:https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2018/01/26/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free-in-2018/#5250ed1c5145

You can still get it for free. 94.6% of Rift users are Windows 10: https://developer.oculus.com/hardware-report/pc/

Update your BIOS too as it's a bit old (there is an F8 version), make sure you disable intel graphics in the BIOS, and make sure you remove all traces of Intel drivers using DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Also silly thing, but make sure you have no mirrors or reflective surfaces in view of the sensors.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your system will run well enough. I had started with Win7 on a GTX970SC Xeon Quad Duo and it did fine.
If Home is stuttering it sounds like a few possibilities:
- your Sensors got moved closer together than originally setup (redo Sensor Setup in menu)
- your PC has downloads in memory awaiting installing
- your running too new Nvidia drivers (388.59 are safe)
- your PC is overheating so use a fan controller to raise the fan speed curve (I use EVGA Precission X)
- use RESTART OCULUS or later manually kill all Oculus Tasks and reboot
- Be sure that only 2 Oculus Devices are used on any one USB board (USB2 is fine for sensors but USB3 for HMD)
- check for any Windows Updates
- free up as much RAM as possible e.g. delete Nvidia Experience, 3D and Audio
- make Page File Virtual Memory 1.5 times your RAM and be sure to leave enough space on your drive 

I still use my Xeon Quad Duo now with a GTX1080SC Win10Pro64 and it plays all games great except LONE ECHO.
Best of luck!

Wingnutradio
Honored Guest

I see you deleted my post, so I'll just repost. You'll have to ban me if you want me to shut up.

My Rift used to work mostly fine. Then, I wiped my PC and reinstalled Windows 7, and did not use VR for over a year. Now, I tried to come back. And what a bitter disappointment it is. I'll list the issues I'm having. 

The first issue, I've had the last time I used VR. Annoying microstuttering in tracking. Regardless of how many times I reinstall software or what USB 3.0 socket I use, it always stutters and makes me nauseous. But this, if you can believe it, I have gotten used to. There are much worse problems now...

Complete loss of tracking. The tracking regularly fails now. First the positional tracking, then the directional tracking stars failing. Occasionally it comes back briefly, only to fail again. This is vomit-inducing. It happens so frequently, I just can't use it anymore. I tried changing USB socket. I tried rebooting the PC. Nothing works. The tracker is in the same place it's always been, and back then it worked. Mostly...

The Oculus program is unstable and crashes. Apps will suddenly slow down and become unresponsive. It starts getting so slow and unstable, I can't even quit the app without doing control+alt+delete and killing the process from there. Also, my entire computer is noticably slower (bordering on unusable) since installing the Oculus software. Just turning the app off doesn't fix this, only a reboot briefly does. I've had this issue before last time I used the Rift. I reported the problem here, and was called 'crazy' for daring to suggest the Oculus software negatively affected Windows. Well guess what, it happened again. On a clean PC, with a clean install of both Windows and Oculus. 

So yeah... suggestions, anyone? I really don't have the money for another tracker. My enthusiasm for VR dissipated along with my bank account some time in 2016.

I have a bunch of the same issues, and black screen of death as well?
is it a driver issue?