Not to point out the elephant in the room... - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Not to point out the elephant in the room...

2»

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    elboffor said:
    More relevant than the privacy leak. Why the hell do people keep saying "could care less" when they are insinuating that they don't care at all.
    The phrase is "could'nt care less" which insinuates it would not be possible to care less about a particular issue.
    I blame facebook for that, if we dont curb such incorrect usage of the English language then we are going to need another amendment to the dictionary  (literally now also means not literally).

The world has gone mad!
    I'd give up on that already, friend! I've certainly given up trying to help the illiterates of the internet (from English speaking countries, dare I add....) because I found most of their egos couldn't stand it and they just got angry instead of better at English :)

What makes me spew is hearing so many Brits using silly Yank words (like functionality, tonality, in actuality - are ya fekkin kidding me??!!) in every day conversations (and worse, the media doing that). I think it's because there is so much US TV on in the UK these days, and people go out less and watch more - along with the internet, it's just killing our beloved Mother tongue.

All you can do is speak proper English, like wot we do, and be appy.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,960 Valuable Player

Speaking bad English is a privilege that comes from being responsible for leading the world in Technology. We get to be lazy as we continue to innovate, while others do less innovation and thus have more time to focus on criticizing bad grammar.

B)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited March 2018
    Ha haaa - that's a gud un! :D

PS - it's not bad grammar, it's talking like a thicko. ;)

Jokes aside, I know what you mean though. People talk terribly around these parts. I do value good speaking.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,754 Volunteer Moderator
    I speakz gud. I no ideaz wut yo takin bout.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,758 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    I don’t use Facebook personally, and as far as Oculus, I haven’t noticed any Russian propaganda being beamed straight into my brain via the headset. All is well, Comrades!

Agreed, have a dvink on me...

Твоё здоровье!
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Yor needz to talk propa brittish
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 908
    3Jane
    edited March 2018
    In other words, Palmer was the victim of a political witch hunt driven by fake news. 

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,754 Volunteer Moderator
    In other words, Palmer was the victim of a political witch hunt driven by fake news. 

What did I just say?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited March 2018
    Palmer was no victim, he was the culprit. Now the Industry is leaving him behind.

His fans need to give it a rest already and just wave bye-bye.

• cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 908
    3Jane
    edited March 2018
    I predict Palmer will make a comeback, just like Steve Jobs did. And Farcebook / Oculus will likely rue the day they kicked him to the curb. And ol' Zuck already has quite a lot of things to answer for...
    I predict Palmer will make a comeback, just like Steve Jobs did. And Farcebook / Oculus will likely rue the day they kicked him to the curb. And ol' Zuck already has quite a lot of things to answer for...

Such a sensible and logical prediction, I'm sure that is exactly how it will happen...

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player

Palmer has to be successful in many other ventures before he is asked to come back because Oculus is going bankrupt, and Palmer also needs a Bill Gates like friend to invest 100 Million when Palmer comes back.  That is of course if he's making a "steve jobs" like comeback...
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,812 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    elboffor said:
    More relevant than the privacy leak. Why the hell do people keep saying "could care less" when they are insinuating that they don't care at all.
    The phrase is "could'nt care less" which insinuates it would not be possible to care less about a particular issue.
    I blame facebook for that, if we dont curb such incorrect usage of the English language then we are going to need another amendment to the dictionary  (literally now also means not literally).

The world has gone mad!
    lol you hit right on one of my pet hates too :)  its possibly a tie for me with my other hate... the double negative.... "I don't know nothing about that"...... so by your admission then you DO know something about it then.?

As for Facebook... I have no opinion really. ... Actually more accurately my opinion is the notion of privacy in an online world is kind of cute in an "I believe in Santa" kind of way, in a world where in London for instance you are on CCTV for more times than you are not (apparently............... this could be BS i am just spouting what i was told once).

IMO if you do not want your personal information out there to be used and potentially abused, well, unless you live in a cave it may not be possible anyway... but you CERTAINLY should not be using the likes of Facebook / Google or any service like that and expect anything other than it to be shared / sold.

Regarding PL and that nonsense.. It definitely was a reality check from the image he/ Oculus liked to portray him as and I was disappointed.. well as disappointed as one can be about someone they do not know and will never meet.. BUT OTOH it scares me more i think that businesses can have their hands forced just by the jury of popular opinion for something which was not a criminal act and was done in a persons own time.

should work lay me off if i choose to vote UKIP or Brexit for instance in voting? .... ****

**** For the record it would be a cold day in hell before I did, but the point stands, it is a bit like the importance of separation of church and state - which also should be set in stone..... but it isnt always imo and that scares me.

Palmer Lucky is probably the reason we all have hmds strapped to our heads now and for that i am grateful... but he was paid very handsomely for that so no need to hero worship him OR lambast him its all a private matter nothing to do with us
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited March 2018

Isn't that how it works these days?

(just like to make clear, I know very little about this particular situation - such things don't really interest me)

bigmike20vt said:
    As for Facebook... I have no opinion really. ... Actually more accurately my opinion is the notion of privacy in an online world is kind of cute in an "I believe in Santa" kind of way, in a world where in London for instance you are on CCTV for more times than you are not (apparently............... this could be BS i am just spouting what i was told once).

IMO if you do not want your personal information out there to be used and potentially abused, well, unless you live in a cave it may not be possible anyway... but you CERTAINLY should not be using the likes of Facebook / Google or any service like that and expect anything other than it to be shared / sold.

Completely agree. People want to use Facebook "for free" and as often as they like. Where they upload photos from Phones that pass on personal data in addition to sending all information over an unsecure network. Facebook and Instagram users want to take pictures of themselves any time they do something that makes them feel special, thus living out some online fantasy where they get to paint a picture of themselves that they want (as opposed to depicting who they really are). Social Media brings the Ego and Id to life, and everyone freely gives away their information for the chance to live that fantasy. Check-In's to restaurants, resorts, events, bars, clubs, work, home... all of that garbage exists on Facebook because people put it there on purpose.

But then they find out that someone used this free information without their permission and holy hell the cries of victimization ensue. It's absurd and self-defeating. Social Media users who complain about Privacy Issues are a plague.

Banks, phone companies, and the Government have been doing so much worse than Facebook in terms of violating the privacy of citizens... only they hide it better.

Palmer Lucky is probably the reason we all have hmds strapped to our heads now and for that i am grateful... but he was paid very handsomely for that so no need to hero worship him OR lambast him its all a private matter nothing to do with us

HMD's existed before Palmer, and this generation would have landed in our laps without him. VR's progression began in 1838:

https://www.fi.edu/virtual-reality/history-of-virtual-reality

;)

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,812 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    Zenbane said:
    bigmike20vt said:

Completely agree. People want to use Facebook "for free" and as often as they like. Where they upload photos from Phones that pass on personal data in addition to sending all information over an unsecure network. Facebook and Instagram users want to take pictures of themselves any time they do something that makes them feel special, thus living out some online fantasy where they get to paint a picture of themselves that they want (as opposed to depicting who they really are). Social Media brings the Ego and Id to life, and everyone freely gives away their information for the chance to live that fantasy. Check-In's to restaurants, resorts, events, bars, clubs, work, home... all of that garbage exists on Facebook because people put it there on purpose.

But then they find out that someone used this free information without their permission and holy hell the cries of victimization ensue. It's absurd and self-defeating. Social Media users who complain about Privacy Issues are a plague.

Banks, phone companies, and the Government have been doing so much worse than Facebook in terms of violating the privacy of citizens... only they hide it better.

HMD's existed before Palmer, and this generation would have landed in our laps without him. VR's progression began in 1838:

https://www.fi.edu/virtual-reality/history-of-virtual-reality

;)

agree with all of the above..... i 1st got my VR fanboy on with Virtuality back in the early 90s.... but i think it is only fair to acknowledge that it was oculus, and therefore largely him who got VR back in the limelight again.....

like flares and mini skirts, eventually it would have come back in vogue...... but maybe it would have been 6months from now, maybe 6 years, who knows........ but right now? 

so PL is not responsible for the birth of VR, but he did play a large part in its resurgence this generation. (imo)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited March 2018
    I will say one thing - I don't use Facebook (have had two accounts in the past and closed both within hours of opening - they were due to business) but I have a Google account and I do expect everything I upload to be seen, copied, used and abused becaue I don't trust any company these days.

However, I was very shocked to find all of my phone contact list on a Google page one day - and very obscure it was, too. Just clicking around, seeing what settings etc were there and up jumps this contact list. I don't care if people know who I get in touch with - but I do feel responsible for other poeple's info that is on my hardware. Wish others did. Forget how many times I've written very angry emails to groups that have sent out 'circulars' and just used the copy to instead of hidden lists (Cc: instead of Bcc: ) and shown every other member's email address, without so much as a "by your leave...". I consider them amateurs - but that's no excuse.

This is the first I've read about it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43581892

Doesn't surprise me - though what would surprise me is if it were the only instance of such goings-on. Words on it are a waste of time.

Brixmis said:
    This is the first I've read about it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43581892

Doesn't surprise me - though what would surprise me is if it were the only instance of such goings-on. Words on it are a waste of time.

Yeah that's dodgy as hell, and highly political. I will say this: It is a much smarter approach to bad politics than merely funding bad "memes" lol
  • DreamerODreamerO Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Holey moley I came back to a lot of notifications!
    My opinion is, "The hardware stands for itself."

Stinks to be Z right now though
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    edited April 2018
    I am counting the days till Oculus goes full Social Justice Warrior like Google.

edited April 2018
    Oculus Offers New Privacy Updates In light Of Recent Facebook Backlash

Oculus privacy changes include:

• A new My Privacy Center that includes tools to view your information and download the data you’ve shared with Oculus—launching on May 20
    • Updated Terms of Service and Privacy Policy that will be available April 20 with a more detailed explanation and real-world examples of how Oculus uses your information to create a better VR experience for you
    • Adding the Code of Conduct to our official Terms to provide increased visibility of our commitment to create a safe VR environment for all people

https://www.vrandfun.com/oculus-offers-new-privacy-updates-light-recent-facebook-backlash/