New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Seamlessly visit unique user created worlds

jeffamundojeffamundo Posts: 8 Poster of the Week
It would be great to be able to visit areas that were created by other users, such as virtual rooms or worlds that have have unique puzzles, interesting stories, or other experiences. If the system was properly ranked and categorized, users with the best creations would find their own experiences being visited more frequently and they would want to create more content. If there is already a way to visit the worlds of other users, it could be made more intuitive and seamless. For example, multiple rooms could be strung together by having each one have an entrance and an exit using a standard door, and when you leave one area, it goes right into another user's world. Some might be just for viewing, while other areas might have challenges that you can 'win'. VR would greatly benefit from more user-created content, especially if the users were allowed more freedom to create strange, unusual, and beautiful experiences that engage us on multiple levels (visual, sound, interactivity), like nothing we've seen before.

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    VRchat is just that.
     While the base code and worlds are offcourse created by the vrchat team, users are able to create their own worlds and experiences with unity for example.

There are a lot of amazing user created enviroments/ games / experiences  to explore there.
    Be good, die great !
  • jeffamundojeffamundo Posts: 8 Poster of the Week
    Thanks for the tip.  Do you mean BeanVR or the Steam VRChat game?  I think I was just turned away by the cartoony avatars, but apparently I need to try both of those again.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    i meant VRchat ... It´s not just on steam ... :)
    Be good, die great !
    Where is it?  When I enter VRchat into the oculus store, the only thing that comes up is BeanVR.  Even though I like the oculus interface, it doesn't make searching as intuitive as I would like.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Have you tried Sansar yet?  It's just about taking off now, from the creators of Second Life.  Some great little "worlds" in there from users and professionals.
    It looks like this one is only available on Steam as well.  What always turned me off from Second Life was how it seemed to be too avatar driven, especially with the title being, Second Life.  I'm always seeks new and unique experiences, but I'm not really going for the whole "I want to be somebody" else and dive so deep into a virtual world that I don't want to leave it kind of thing.  I just want to explore world and have experiences I can't get in real life, as me, not somebody else.  That's why Second Life always gave me this 'Quagmire' from San Junipero vibe.  Either way, I'll have to try it out.  Thanks for the tip!
  • nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis

do not forget that must of these worlds are a new shape for the good old chat (aka social interaction)

so there is no point to get complex world and avatar (with the risk of not being able to play it without a very powerful pc).

AltspaceVR allows you to get full body with mocap, but you could feel a bit alone since this technology is still exception.