New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,501 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Yup, Greenman Gaming must be raking in the cash with that 20% discount code. Everyone online in either the Skyrim VR or Oculus sub-Reddits have bought the game from there.

Tbh now I've bought it I wouldn't have lost any sleep if I had paid full price for it.

I'm just VERY pissed off that Bethesda fucked up the launches of Fallout 4 VR and Doom VFR, these three games being outstanding would have been FANTASTIC for VR, those two games have damaged VR imo.
    Yeah I have come close to buying Fallout 4 VR two times on sale - but the issues I have read with the undocumented Rift tweaks isn't inspiring and it was never my favourite Fallout game to begin with. Especially after New Vegas which puts everything Bethesda has ever touched outside Morrowind to shame.

Yup, since playing Fallout New Vegas I've always thought that Bethesda Studios should give up developing and just concentrate on publishing instead. Fallout 4 VR in particular would never have been in the mess it was since it first launched.

Skyrim VR was done by a different Bethesda Studios team than Fallout 4 VR but I'm pretty sure that Obsidian would have completely nailed both games. The bow in Skyrim VR isn't great, but I haven't tried checking the Realistic Bow option yet, and there's an INI trick that might help too according to the Skyrim VR sub-Reddit.

I'm still hoping that Bethesda are going to do what Activision did with Call Of Duty and have two different developers working alternately on the Fallout games. Will mean that they can get these games out the door quicker. Developers (from my experience working with IO Interactive and Crystal Dynamics years ago) tend to split into two separate teams at the Beta stage. The first finishes the current game for release and the second starts working on the next game in the franchise(s), but if you have alternate developers and you do this you could effectively have four games being worked on at the same time instead of just two.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Put a bit of time into it, controls need remapping not as bad as fallout4 & menu system is lame i guess mods will fix these. I'm already busy modding it as it shows it age but really happy. Iv'e been playing kingdom come a lot & this does really feel dated but just so nice to have an open world game rpg to get lost in. 
    Neo
    next question

What are the essential mods/mod packs?  I like things that make vanilla more visually believable. Busier cities, etc.

[[ I remember some essential mod packs for Oblivion spoiled the game because they included items that looked crap compared to vanilla so nothing like those... :P ]]
    I'm working my way through this. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2846/
    I quite like the menu system, took a bit of time to get used to it though.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    I'd settle for a proper sequel to New Vegas - I understand that it was pushed out before being 100% ready, and the console versions meant some cuts had to be made on the PC version. But even with it's issues as a vanilla game - it still had a better branching narrative structure that meant it felt like you had forward movement throughout the world.

Morrowind was like this as well - the main quests and faction quests sent you around the world in a way that it always felt like you were discovering new stuff and making progress. From Oblivion on including the Fallout games Bethesda has opted for a more go anywhere you like at any time and there will be something interesting for you to do no matter what level you are. While this initially means it feels much more open ended - it actually feels the reverse after you started getting far in the game. As you progress you begin to notice that none of the quests interlink and pretty much everything you are doing is a self-contained adventure.

In New Vegas - you do have the freedom to go off in any direction, though you are persuaded against going to certain areas due to being a low level. As you play through the quests you realize that a choice you made earlier cut off a potential quest line, etc. - because they had a branching narrative where certain side quests intersect with the main quest this leads to more robust and truly open-ended gameplay as your choices have consequences. To a lesser extent Morrowind had a system that was kind of like this - joining factions cut you out of other factions, you could clear plot relative characters and still finish the game, etc.

I know what I am getting with modern Bethesda games - I had hopes that they would have learned from New Vegas with the fourth Fallout, but 10 minutes into that game you can see they double downed on their formula which is ultimately a successful if more shallow formula.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,383 Valuable Player

Downloading now as well, your enthusiasms have worn me down.

• Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    edited April 2018
    I like it... Far from perfect and neither did I expect that. Shooting with the bow is pretty well done though, that works very well in my opinion. It's certainly an experience seeing the world from within it. Despite the game being old, I found myself stopping from time to time just having to take in the scenery for a bit. There is just something about the world that makes it stand out compared to other games I played. I feel like I'm really in another world I can go explore, not boxed in a small area with background scenery. Can't wait for more (and better) experiences like this in the future.

Morrowind was like this as well - the main quests and faction quests sent you around the world in a way that it always felt like you were discovering new stuff and making progress. From Oblivion on including the Fallout games Bethesda has opted for a more go anywhere you like at any time and there will be something interesting for you to do no matter what level you are. While this initially means it feels much more open ended - it actually feels the reverse after you started getting far in the game. As you progress you begin to notice that none of the quests interlink and pretty much everything you are doing is a self-contained adventure.

In New Vegas - you do have the freedom to go off in any direction, though you are persuaded against going to certain areas due to being a low level. As you play through the quests you realize that a choice you made earlier cut off a potential quest line, etc. - because they had a branching narrative where certain side quests intersect with the main quest this leads to more robust and truly open-ended gameplay as your choices have consequences. To a lesser extent Morrowind had a system that was kind of like this - joining factions cut you out of other factions, you could clear plot relative characters and still finish the game, etc.

I know what I am getting with modern Bethesda games - I had hopes that they would have learned from New Vegas with the fourth Fallout, but 10 minutes into that game you can see they double downed on their formula which is ultimately a successful if more shallow formula.
    I completely agree, in many ways their games have devolved since the old days, Morrowind felt so alive back when I played that first and there was so much soul and character to the world, sounds wierd but I lack better words at the moment. Skyrim is still good but to me it's the most casual TES game of them all, and I really hope they bring back some of the more hardcore elements, like consequences, and preferably more advanced character creation again. More stats, attributes, more custumizability. I  also do not care for the Dragonborn nonsense in Skyrim, don't like the shouts, it's a playstyle that I feel is just forced upon me, not my own. Like I said, it's not that I don't like it though, it's just the most dissapointing TES I've played, and I started with Morrowind.
    Neo
    Is there any way to switch off the direction input from tilting touch as i just want to use the analogue sticks? 
    Neo
    snowdog said:
    I quite like the menu system, took a bit of time to get used to it though.
    Yeah actually not too bad but i think its more the key mapping, for example back is the grip button YB for left right. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,152 Valuable Player
    It looks like enough people whose opinion I value have recommended this. I guess I will add it to my Buy List, to be purchased after I complete Lone Echo, Mage's Tale, Killing Floor, and Serious Sam.
     :o 
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Mito.ZoMito.Zo Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    I heard someone is talking about this game isn't truly supporting roomscale. Like towed weapons doesn't follow you.
    Active: ASUS Zephyrus GX501: i7-7700HQ, GTX 1080 Max-Q (8GB), 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 15.6" 120Hz IPS G-SYNC, full Steelseries peripherals, Oculus Rift, Oculus Touch & 3x Oculus Sensors
    Sold: ASUS Sabertooth X79: i7-3930K @ 4.9Ghz (6C/12 Threads), 32GB DDR3, 10,000 GB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti FE, ASUS PG278Q 27" 1440p G-SYNC 144Hz, full Logitech peripherals.
    Gaveaway: 1x GTX TITAN (Vanilla), 2x GTX 680, 2x AMD HD6970, 1x GeForce2 GTS

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,441 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018

Downloading now as well, your enthusiasms have worn me down.

Zenbane said:
    It looks like enough people whose opinion I value have recommended this. I guess I will add it to my Buy List, to be purchased after I complete Lone Echo, Mage's Tale, Killing Floor, and Serious Sam.
    The enthusiasm is wearing me down as well, but I know that I won’t have any time to play if I buy it. Keep the reviews coming, though!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Neo
    edited April 2018
    Zenbane said:
    It is literally taking everything in me right now not to buy it - but I am going to beat Far Cry 5, Super Hot and Arizona Sunshine first. Hopefully it is on sale by then.
    I was walking down a road, it was getting dark, I'm just taking a stroll at a leisurely pace, taking in all the detail (loads of mods on now to make it look good) .... as the sun sets, a huge starry sky above me with a fantastical nebula and a giant moon appear, so serene and peaceful ...., then out of nowhere, a rabid dog startles me, I flinch, I kill it, heart goes a bit faster .. I continue down the road, in the forest, relaxing again now, pitch black now, it starts to rain, the 3d rain and the ambient sounds sell it to my brain, I feel a cooler gust of air, almost feel droplets of rain on my skin, I am nearly where I need to be .. better hurry a quest awaits .... Ok I am in love with this game, can you tell?

A weather and water mod is highly recommended.
    Are you using any gameplay mods - do you know if it works with the survival mods? I believe it is frostfall that makes you have to keep warm, stay out of cold water, etc.

I want to try this out so bad now, lol
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

What mods are you using @LZoltowski?

Have just added the big bug fix one but don't know where else to start, there's so many of the bloomin things on Nexusmods lol

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    snowdog said:
    What mods are you using @LZoltowski?

Have just added the big bug fix one but don't know where else to start, there's so many of the bloomin things on Nexusmods lol
    Here you go, these ones so far, but a huge improvement already

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Neo
    Wait a minute - there is already nexus mod manager support?

@snowdog list of mods from:

https://redd.it/89dqya

and instructions:

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

edited April 2018
    LZ,

Are you having to manually install all these additional mods?

Skyrim VR needs a Mod that manages all these easily, kinda like this one for the base game:

DLC Integration

This mod adds content from Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn to the world through leveled lists, merchants, and manual placement of objects. Its purpose is to incorporate the DLC into the base game in ways that make sense, but were left out for various reasons.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/82106

It's still nice to see this level of Mod support right out of the gates. Now we just need Community DLC (yes EvilEyes, yes) support and this could be the first VR game to keep me busy for over a year straight.

Cheers mate. Already saw that video so I know how to sort them out.

SimonSays28 said:
    Wait a minute - there is already nexus mod manager support?

Yup, but only via a workaround so far. You copy the SkyrimVR executable, paste it in the same place and rename it to SkyrimSE. Or that might be for LOOT, I can't remember now.

I'll carry on adding mods from that Reddit thread tomorrow I reckon.

I'm hoping that someone is going to do a hands mod, pretty bizarre that they only have them for fists and spells tbh. Bethesda also cut them out of Fallout 4 VR too for some strange reason and the less said about the hands in Doom VFR the better lmfao :o:D:D:D

edited April 2018
    Zenbane said:
    LZ,

Are you having to manually install all these additional mods?

Skyrim VR needs a Mod that manages all these easily, kinda like this one for the base game:

DLC Integration

This mod adds content from Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn to the world through leveled lists, merchants, and manual placement of objects. Its purpose is to incorporate the DLC into the base game in ways that make sense, but were left out for various reasons.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/82106

It's still nice to see this level of Mod support right out of the gates. Now we just need Community DLC (yes EvilEyes, yes) support and this could be the first VR game to keep me busy for over a year straight.

No, not really, using Nexus Mod Manager with a tiny tweak to fool it and 1 copy and paste every time you update your mods list, its a txt file

Well congratulations to everyone who bought this game. I'm genuinely happy to see that such a huge title from one of my most beloved series (Elder Scrolls) is making headlines cross-platform in the emerging tech world of VR.

Keep the posts, reviews, videos, and screenshots coming! It will be awhile before I take the plunge, but I want to continue witnessing in envy.

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 270
    Nexus 6
    I pulled the trigger and bought it today (Green man gaming discount) and just put in 1.5 hrs. This is definitely worth a purchase. After putting over 200 hrs in the Vorpx version...I have to say this version is a giant step above the Vorpx version. The touch controllers do take a bit of getting use to (for me, after decades of KB + M) but they are well thought out and accomplish what they are designed for.

I will be doing some modding like everyone else who has listed their mod accomplishments...but not right away. I'm blown away at how smooth they have the game running (at least on my system).

If your sitting on the fence...buy it!!! It's Tamriel in VR for goodness sake...LOL!!! Can't wait for the future of Elder Scrolls!!!
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Which Serious Sam?  I'm a huge fan of all 4 of them, especially the 3 re-makes.  But the wave shooter is also excellent.

Has anyone installed a high-res texture pack?  Which one, and did it have any significant effect on performance?
  • Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    edited April 2018
    so far my only issues is that it doesnt have hmd tracking for movement (stuck with controller relative movement) and that i cant find a way to set up quick commands for the abilities/items in the favorites menu. other than that, its a blast. would've liked to actually see hands grip your melee weapons instead of them floating there, but it is what it is. its impressive how well it does work, even if theres some pop in on textures and stuff. having a the big open world of skyrim in vr running as well as it does is kinda awe inspiring, and i say that as someone who had tempered expectations going into this. Very pleased to once again be rediscovering the game in this way
  • andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 247
    Nexus 6
    what drivers are people using?
    any nvidia users?
    Zenbane said:
    Which Serious Sam?  I'm a huge fan of all 4 of them, especially the 3 re-makes.  But the wave shooter is also excellent.

Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1021037564670339/

I've done a few of the early missions. It's addicting and mad fun!
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Zenbane said:

Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1021037564670339/

I've done a few of the early missions. It's addicting and mad fun!
    That's one of my favorites to use to introduce people to VR.  If you like games with full locomotion, I'd also highly recommend the other ones on Steam as well.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    edited April 2018
    Zenbane said:

Here's a nice Review from someone who put in over 100 hours in to the original game,

The Highlights:
    1. The controls are much better using Oculus Touch.
    2. Melee and Shield combat are... not so great.
    3. Immersion gets wrecked often due to the Menu system.

I found all control schemes, including scrolling through the game’s vast amount of menus, to be much more simple on Oculus Touch than with HTC Vive motion controllers. When played on Vive, the game makes extensive use of the Vive controller’s touchpad, so selection is mapped to thumb swipes and not verifiable clicks of the touchpad itself. I never really got the hang of it to be honest, and found myself much more readily playing with Touch simply because of the ease of navigating the game’s menus with the thumbstick over the touchpad. It’s also a bit awkward to use the Vive’s left grip button to jump while resting your thumb on the touchpad to move forward. Many times I found myself confusing controls and accidentally crouching when I wanted to jump, or ‘Fus-Roh-Dah’-ing the townsfolk and guards because I depressed the right grip button instead of the left to sheath my sword.

Combat, while somewhat of a mixed bag, is serviceable. Melee combat isn’t great simply because your weapons, which are stuck to your hands, don’t really telegraph any in-game weight, so you can waggle what appears to be a 20 pound battle-axe as if it weighed nothing. Blocking with a shield isn’t really that great either, as it seemed to work only a fraction of the time I used it, making it basically a non-starter from the get-go.

one of the worst parts of Skyrim VR is the predictable (and entirely necessary) continuation of the base game’s menu system. On a standard monitor, these make absolute sense, but in VR you’re faced with a floating window where all of your things are displayed in text form, which takes away from the majesty of the world and replaces it with an ancillary task that just doesn’t fit in the rustic world of Tamriel. Even though I understand the confines of the game don’t allow it, ideally all items would be represented physically so you could holster them appropriately, and so you would ideally have the option of keeping a sword on your hip, a bow and quiver on your back, and a satchel of food and medicine by your side. Instead, you just go through a menu and equip or consume whatever you need at that moment, and in a paused state so you can scroll freely without fear or being attacked.

Full Review:

https://www.roadtovr.com/skyrim-vr-review-pc-rift-vive-windows/

IF the devs dont sort out the menu system (which they damn well should if they want skyrim to be a rival for one of the shining examples of a VR RPG) hopefully the community will get it done..... conceptually it isnt even difficult. it is kind of blindingly obvious how an inventory and weapon carrying system should work in VR.

Regarding the working mods.... hopefully someone will do separate lists... as i mentioned earlier i corrupted my 100hr+ save and on reinstalling it is gone. even if it wasnt i would have no idea which of the mods to put back... So whilst i will mod it for sure, i will only be using fixes and eye candy mods and not balance changing things or missions.

(my old saves had missions all over the place and a house full of loot, not only did it spoil the game it meant the reinstall without the mods was no longer usable so i will want a system where if worse comes to worst i can reinstall and still play the game save on a vanilla install.)

i am on the cusp of cracking and buying a 1080ti now i have a 4k hdr tv...... (i really wanted to wait and get an 11 series). once i get that however i will need something to make it sweat and this does seem as good a game as any.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,272 Valuable Player
    So disappointed about shield blocking. If sword and shield system worked as good as vanishing realms we would all be in hog heaven.