cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

LZoltowski
Champion
rmbxnynm6ib6.jpg

Hello all, the big one is launching very soon. Rather than having a billion threads on it, lets all share and discuss in this thread to help others make an informed purchase!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers mate. Already saw that video so I know how to sort them out.

SimonSays28 said:

Wait a minute - there is already nexus mod manager support?

Yup, but only via a workaround so far. You copy the SkyrimVR executable, paste it in the same place and rename it to SkyrimSE. Or that might be for LOOT, I can't remember now.

I'll carry on adding mods from that Reddit thread tomorrow I reckon.

I'm hoping that someone is going to do a hands mod, pretty bizarre that they only have them for fists and spells tbh. Bethesda also cut them out of Fallout 4 VR too for some strange reason and the less said about the hands in Doom VFR the better lmfao 😮 😄 😄 😄

LZoltowski
Champion

Zenbane said:

LZ,

Are you having to manually install all these additional mods?

Skyrim VR needs a Mod that manages all these easily, kinda like this one for the base game:

DLC Integration

This mod adds content from Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn to the world through leveled lists, merchants, and manual placement of objects. Its purpose is to incorporate the DLC into the base game in ways that make sense, but were left out for various reasons.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/82106

It's still nice to see this level of Mod support right out of the gates. Now we just need Community DLC (yes EvilEyes, yes) support and this could be the first VR game to keep me busy for over a year straight.

No, not really, using Nexus Mod Manager with a tiny tweak to fool it and 1 copy and paste every time you update your mods list, its a txt file
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Well congratulations to everyone who bought this game. I'm genuinely happy to see that such a huge title from one of my most beloved series (Elder Scrolls) is making headlines cross-platform in the emerging tech world of VR.

Keep the posts, reviews, videos, and screenshots coming! It will be awhile before I take the plunge, but I want to continue witnessing in envy.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I pulled the trigger and bought it today (Green man gaming discount) and just put in 1.5 hrs. This is definitely worth a purchase. After putting over 200 hrs in the Vorpx version...I have to say this version is a giant step above the Vorpx version. The touch controllers do take a bit of getting use to (for me, after decades of KB + M) but they are well thought out and accomplish what they are designed for.

I will be doing some modding like everyone else who has listed their mod accomplishments...but not right away. I'm blown away at how smooth they have the game running (at least on my system).

If your sitting on the fence...buy it!!! It's Tamriel in VR for goodness sake...LOL!!! Can't wait for the future of Elder Scrolls!!!

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

It looks like enough people whose opinion I value have recommended this. I guess I will add it to my Buy List, to be purchased after I complete Lone Echo, Mage's Tale, Killing Floor, and Serious Sam.
 😮 

Which Serious Sam?  I'm a huge fan of all 4 of them, especially the 3 re-makes.  But the wave shooter is also excellent.

Has anyone installed a high-res texture pack?  Which one, and did it have any significant effect on performance?

Javelin396
Adventurer
so far my only issues is that it doesnt have hmd tracking for movement (stuck with controller relative movement) and that i cant find a way to set up quick commands for the abilities/items in the favorites menu. other than that, its a blast. would've liked to actually see hands grip your melee weapons instead of them floating there, but it is what it is. its impressive how well it does work, even if theres some pop in on textures and stuff. having a the big open world of skyrim in vr running as well as it does is kinda awe inspiring, and i say that as someone who had tempered expectations going into this. Very pleased to once again be rediscovering the game in this way

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
what drivers are people using?
any nvidia users?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

It looks like enough people whose opinion I value have recommended this. I guess I will add it to my Buy List, to be purchased after I complete Lone Echo, Mage's Tale, Killing Floor, and Serious Sam.
 😮 

Which Serious Sam?  I'm a huge fan of all 4 of them, especially the 3 re-makes.  But the wave shooter is also excellent.

Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1021037564670339/

I've done a few of the early missions. It's addicting and mad fun!

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Zenbane said:

😮 

Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1021037564670339/

I've done a few of the early missions. It's addicting and mad fun!

That's one of my favorites to use to introduce people to VR.  If you like games with full locomotion, I'd also highly recommend the other ones on Steam as well.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Here's a nice Review from someone who put in over 100 hours in to the original game,

The Highlights:
  1. The controls are much better using Oculus Touch.
  2. Melee and Shield combat are... not so great.
  3. Immersion gets wrecked often due to the Menu system.

I found all control schemes, including scrolling through the game’s vast amount of menus, to be much more simple on Oculus Touch than with HTC Vive motion controllers. When played on Vive, the game makes extensive use of the Vive controller’s touchpad, so selection is mapped to thumb swipes and not verifiable clicks of the touchpad itself. I never really got the hang of it to be honest, and found myself much more readily playing with Touch simply because of the ease of navigating the game’s menus with the thumbstick over the touchpad. It’s also a bit awkward to use the Vive’s left grip button to jump while resting your thumb on the touchpad to move forward. Many times I found myself confusing controls and accidentally crouching when I wanted to jump, or ‘Fus-Roh-Dah’-ing the townsfolk and guards because I depressed the right grip button instead of the left to sheath my sword.

Combat, while somewhat of a mixed bag, is serviceable. Melee combat isn’t great simply because your weapons, which are stuck to your hands, don’t really telegraph any in-game weight, so you can waggle what appears to be a 20 pound battle-axe as if it weighed nothing. Blocking with a shield isn’t really that great either, as it seemed to work only a fraction of the time I used it, making it basically a non-starter from the get-go.

one of the worst parts of Skyrim VR is the predictable (and entirely necessary) continuation of the base game’s menu system. On a standard monitor, these make absolute sense, but in VR you’re faced with a floating window where all of your things are displayed in text form, which takes away from the majesty of the world and replaces it with an ancillary task that just doesn’t fit in the rustic world of Tamriel. Even though I understand the confines of the game don’t allow it, ideally all items would be represented physically so you could holster them appropriately, and so you would ideally have the option of keeping a sword on your hip, a bow and quiver on your back, and a satchel of food and medicine by your side. Instead, you just go through a menu and equip or consume whatever you need at that moment, and in a paused state so you can scroll freely without fear or being attacked.

Full Review:

https://www.roadtovr.com/skyrim-vr-review-pc-rift-vive-windows/

IF the devs dont sort out the menu system (which they damn well should if they want skyrim to be a rival for one of the shining examples of a VR RPG) hopefully the community will get it done..... conceptually it isnt even difficult. it is kind of blindingly obvious how an inventory and weapon carrying system should work in VR.

Regarding the working mods.... hopefully someone will do separate lists... as i mentioned earlier i corrupted my 100hr+ save and on reinstalling it is gone. even if it wasnt i would have no idea which of the mods to put back... So whilst i will mod it for sure, i will only be using fixes and eye candy mods and not balance changing things or missions.

(my old saves had missions all over the place and a house full of loot, not only did it spoil the game it meant the reinstall without the mods was no longer usable so i will want a system where if worse comes to worst i can reinstall and still play the game save on a vanilla install.)

i am on the cusp of cracking and buying a 1080ti now i have a 4k hdr tv...... (i really wanted to wait and get an 11 series). once i get that however i will need something to make it sweat and this does seem as good a game as any.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂