The VR Predictions Thread of 2018 - Page 7 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The VR Predictions Thread of 2018

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,400 Valuable Player
    Probably a timed exclusive I expect. HTC wouldn't have fronted enough cash for a sole platform deal. Same goes for Sony and Skyrim.

After playing Skyrim VR I'd prefer it if Sony had done the same thing with Fallout 4, no problems at all with performance with Skyrim VR due to the lead platform being less powerful.

Although having a different team on Skyrim VR probably helped matters too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    Alright, my predictions:

When OpenXR comes out, it'll become similar to OpenGL, but for VR.

People will start debates on whether SteamVR or OpenXR is better for the industry to be pushed forward.

People will argue that this will lead to the same problem as BetaMax and VHS.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,787 Valuable Player
    Steamvr as I understand it only works natively on the viveand is a wrapper which sits on top of the oculus software..... If I understand it correctly openXR will run natively on all hmds which should mean it will be better (for rift and windows MR users ). It may even be better for vivers. Oculus are involved with open xr so hopefully they will share their tricks like spacewarp etc
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kilobulbkilobulb Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    edited April 2018
    GeekyGami said:
    Alright, my predictions:

When OpenXR comes out, it'll become similar to OpenGL, but for VR.

People will start debates on whether SteamVR or OpenXR is better for the industry to be pushed forward.

People will argue that this will lead to the same problem as BetaMax and VHS.

Is the point not to create one standard so there isn't a repeat of betamax/vhs or bluray/hddvd causing confusion and stalling adoption? This seems to be basically everyone. Is anyone developing a competing standard?

“Khronos’ open APIs have been immensely valuable to the industry, balancing the forces of differentiation and innovation against gratuitous vendor incompatibility. As virtual reality matures and the essential capabilities become clear in practice, a cooperatively developed open standard API is a natural and important milestone. Oculus is happy to contribute to this effort,” said John Carmack, CTO, Oculus VR.

“The number of VR systems on the market is growing rapidly. Most of these require separate API support from the developer, which is causing huge fragmentation for consumers,” said Gabe Newell of Valve. “Khronos’ work on a standard API to enable applications to target a wide variety of VR devices is an important step to counter that trend.”

Format war averted?

source
    Steamvr as I understand it only works natively on the viveand is a wrapper which sits on top of the oculus software..... If I understand it correctly openXR will run natively on all hmds which should mean it will be better (for rift and windows MR users ). It may even be better for vivers. Oculus are involved with open xr so hopefully they will share their tricks like spacewarp etc

I'm pretty sure that I remember reading somewhere that when it came to voting in features for OpenXR almost all of the features that made the cut were from the Oculus SDK.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    Two new predictions. 

Knuckles gets a launch date by the end of this month (May).

Knuckles launch title - Team Fortress 3 VR
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
    Valve will HAVE to announce something soon otherwise we'll see the Pimax Knuckles controllers launching before the Valve Knuckles controllers lol :o :D :D :D

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Valve will HAVE to announce something soon otherwise we'll see the Pimax Knuckles controllers launching before the Valve Knuckles controllers lol :o :D :D :D
    Or maybe they are both crapping their pants after seeing talk of the gloves Oculus is working on for perhaps in CV2.
    Knuckles ( what a name ) may not see the light of day.
    ;)
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    I’ve been post news on gloves for the last 12 months. Why all of a sudden the big deal about Oculus gloves? 
    You can buy these now no need to wait for Oculus lol

One is reality the other vapourware!
    Or there’s these you can buy, now.

edited May 2018
    Knuckles not see the light of day?

The Knuckles controllers will probably get released eventually but the important question is will developers use tracking for those extra two fingers? We hardly ever use those fingers individually in real life so I can't see that many developers using them in games and apps. We generally use them to make a fist or grip and the Touch controllers have that covered. Drinking tea posh and doing the Heavy Metal sign are the only two uses I can think of in real life tbh.

This is why I believe that Oculus didn't add tracking for those two fingers, there isn't any real point in having it.

There’s no point having real weather in Skyrim either, you can’t feel the rain.
    Atmos73 said:

Well that's a completely nonsensical reply lol :o :D

snowdog said:
    Atmos73 said:

Weather gives you an added sense of immersion as does being able to wiggle all five fingers. You don’t really need them but it’s nice when they’re there. If you don’t understand immersion you shouldn’t be in VR. Haha.
    Atmos73 said:
    snowdog said:
    Atmos73 said:

Weather gives you an added sense of immersion as does being able to wiggle all five fingers. You don’t really need them but it’s nice when they’re there. If you don’t understand immersion you shouldn’t be in VR. Haha.

And my point still stands. What developer is going to add the option of being able to wiggle your fingers just for the sake of being able to wiggle all of your fingers. If the use of those two fingers was crucial to gameplay then you could understand it but unless you're working on a Posh Tea Drinking Simulator or a Heavy Metal Simulator you won't bother with it.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,701 Valuable Player
    Manus VR and Noitom Hi5 gloves are dev kits aren't they?

And both cost $1,000 plus extras last time i checked.

They look great but are, ironically, out of reach.
    It’s hard baked into the SteamVR SDK. I don’t see what the problem is here. You will just see naturalish finger motion in every game - going forward. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,721 Volunteer Moderator
    I predict there will be more VR stuff. All shapes and sizes, something for everyone, all ages, al budgets ... no need to argue who's is best or who's is here first :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

But they are a reality like Tobii Vive eye trackers. Oculus gloves aren’t even close.

My point is people are dreaming about Oculus tech in the future while Vive tech is here now.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,701 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:

But they are a reality like Tobii Vive eye trackers. Oculus gloves aren’t even close.

My point is people are dreaming about Oculus tech in the future while Vive tech is here now.

True.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,672 Valuable Player
    There is a Vive forum for people who want to dream about Vive tech. So far there are no Knuckles and we're already seeing progress on Oculus Gloves which are 100 times better than the terribly over-sized Knuckles.

The original predictions about Knuckles failed. Once a prediction fails please don't repeatedly bump this thread with spam about that exact same prediction.

And it's great if someone prefers Vive over Rift, there's a community for that:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    I predict there will be more VR stuff. All shapes and sizes, something for everyone, all ages, al budgets ... no need to argue who's is best or who's is here first :)
    Yep, I want to see more predictions from others. Let’s not take this thread too seriously. 
    Well Zenbane one of you big four prediction went to the wall lol

1. The Rift CV2 will be announced at the 2018 Facebook Developer Conference with a predicted released date of 2020.
    Never mind lol
    edited May 2018

Yes, my CV2/F8 predictions turned out wrong. While Facebook did demo the Half Dome which has the entire Internet talking about a Rift CV2, Facebook did not specifically present it as a Rift CV2.

And my 2020 release prediction for CV2 will probably end up wrong as well, since most people (including myself), now believe that 2019 is more realistic thanks to what we saw at F8.

I need to update the thread with all the latest and greatest prediction results.

I don't mind being wrong about my predictions, which is why you don't see me spamming the thread with attempts to correct them. Unlike "some" people. *cough**cough*
    edited May 2018

Something important to point out about the reason Oculus consumers would be more interested in waiting for Oculus Gloves as opposed to wasting money on the competition is because Facebook-Oculus have a proven track-record of releasing a suite of software to accompany their hardware innovations.

When Touch was released, we had several free games at our disposal: The Unspoken, VR Sports Challenge, Dead & Buried, Oculus Medium, Quill. Facebook-Oculus even goes as far as to combine software innovations, such as combining Oculus Medium sculptures with the new Oculus Home.

Even if Valve's Knuckles manage to come out before the Oculus gloves (which at present day seems as much a dream as believing that Pimax is going to actually release a consumer-ready 8K headset), it won't matter because neither Valve nor HTC have a real history of backing up their hardware with quality software. Look at how long it took to release Fallout 4 and Skyrim for VR, and look at how many updates, fixes, and mods are needed to make them worthwhile. Not to mention that the success of Revive - allowing Vive owners to play Oculus titles - as further evidence of the success model Facebook-Oculus maintains by releasing software to accompany hardware.

The excitement Oculus consumers show is not the result of "dreaming," it is the result of first-hand knowledge of the quality that ends up in our possession, with both hardware and software.

Today's discussion is 2016 all over again, when HTC launched with room-scale and hand-controllers first. This community was told the same thing: We're dreaming about future tech when the competition has it now. But the counter-argument is the same: The competition has an implementation that isn't worth the investment, we'd rather wait for something more sophisticated and innovative.

Now it's 2018 and the dialogue hasn't changed; yet it very much should.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 314
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    The Knuckles controllers will probably get released eventually but the important question is will developers use tracking for those extra two fingers? We hardly ever use those fingers individually in real life so I can't see that many developers using them in games and apps. We generally use them to make a fist or grip and the Touch controllers have that covered. Drinking tea posh and doing the Heavy Metal sign are the only two uses I can think of in real life tbh.

This is why I believe that Oculus didn't add tracking for those two fingers, there isn't any real point in having it.
    You do have a point. Few games use all capabilities of Touch.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,787 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    Atmos73 said:

which you never did about knuckles of course... wasnt it april 2017 you predicted their launch to be... you are cheating a bit now by changing your guess..... ;)

btw i too am stuck with predictions which are likely to be over optimistic, so i am not being overly critical here.. we all are guilty of it sometimes.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
This discussion has been closed.