Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play Quake 1+2 (including DLC's) in VR [Video Tutorial]

F4CEpa1m
Adventurer
Hi all!

With all the Skyrim VR hype I thought I'd make a Quake 1 + 2 VR tutorial  🙂    

Good for Rift and Vive users, includes instructions on getting the official DLC's working too.    

Here are the timestamps:    

0:00 - Intro    
0:43 - Info + Compatibility    
1:19 - Get the Games    
2:00 - Get the Mods    
2:53 - Find Quake Files    
3:25 - Copy Quake Files    
4:08 - Copy Quake 2 Files    
5:45 - Rift Prep    
5:50 - Vive Prep    
6:22 - Controllers    
6:50 - Start Games on Rift    
7:10 - Start Games on Vive    
8:00 - Quake 1 DLC    
8:40 - Launch Quake from Steam (Rift)    
9:40 - Quake 1 Menu Tweaks    
10:48 - Quake 2 Menu Tweaks    
11:30 - Quake 2 DLC    

Enjoy!!    
x_0
8 REPLIES 8

Mot666
Expert Protege
Thanks for that vid man! I saw it not long after you uploaded it, and I went and dug out my old Quake 1 and 2 CDs(!) and ripped the music while downloading Arcane Dimensions... thanks also for mentioning that too... great mod, can't believe I never played it before.

F4CEpa1m
Adventurer

Mot666 said:

Thanks for that vid man! I saw it not long after you uploaded it, and I went and dug out my old Quake 1 and 2 CDs(!) and ripped the music while downloading Arcane Dimensions... thanks also for mentioning that too... great mod, can't believe I never played it before.

Ah nice one!  Between you and I (ssshh), I had no idea about that Arcane Dimensions mod until I tried to get Quake working in VR but holy shit it's awesome.  Bit of a beach to get working in VR and the latest mod doesn't work with Rift but I'll hopefully get the tutorial up for that one some time next week  🙂

Mot666
Expert Protege
I just unzipped the latest DL, moved the file contents to a folder 'AD' in the Quake directory. The shortcut doesn't work for some reason, but if you load up a normal game of Quakespasm and then hit the tilde key to bring up the console and then type 'game ad' (ad being the name of the folder where you extracted the files to, can be any as long as they match) and hit enter it works fine in my Rift. I believe you can run any DLC campaigns this way.

Edit: Yeah it's easily the best Quake DLC I ever played.
Edit2: I only just noticed that the latest version is a separate zip from the main install. I totally forgot about it, so maybe it won't work for me after all. But there's nothing wrong with my base install apart from the shortcut not working.

danknugz
Superstar
is touch support fully implemented yet? last i checked it only functioned as a pad, no positional tracking
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I started watching this video on my TV this morning, but didn't watch it all.

I've been playing Quake as long as I've had my Rift (just under 2 years) - using quakespasm. Works very well. I recently had a go on Quake 2, but I can't remember which mod I used for the VR - got it after watching Sweviver's vid on it. That was very good, too - problem is these older FPS make me feel sick in VR. I reckon it's the res or fuzzy graphics, but then Doom3 does, too, with much better graphics.

Maybe it's because I've been struggling with balance in RL for many years, so it gets magnified in VR movement. I'm fine in any cockpit/car etc, but on my 'own' feet I start to struggle.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

F4CEpa1m
Adventurer

Mot666 said:

I just unzipped the latest DL, moved the file contents to a folder 'AD' in the Quake directory. The shortcut doesn't work for some reason, but if you load up a normal game of Quakespasm and then hit the tilde key to bring up the console and then type 'game ad' (ad being the name of the folder where you extracted the files to, can be any as long as they match) and hit enter it works fine in my Rift. I believe you can run any DLC campaigns this way.

I'll give that a go.  I got the shortcut working with 1.5 (AD) + 1.6 (Sepulchre), but the 1.7zip just wouldn't fire up via the shortcut.  I'll see how I go with the in game console 🙂  Cheers!

F4CEpa1m
Adventurer

danknugz said:

is touch support fully implemented yet? last i checked it only functioned as a pad, no positional tracking

Nah, only on Quake 2.  Not roomscale either.  To be fair, I actually found these best played still with a keyboard and mouse...  Touch controllers were cool in Quake 2 but just couldn't keep up the pace

F4CEpa1m
Adventurer

Brixmis said:

Maybe it's because I've been struggling with balance in RL for many years, so it gets magnified in VR movement. I'm fine in any cockpit/car etc, but on my 'own' feet I start to struggle.

I'd say so mate, yeah  😞  These games aren't motion sickness friendly to say the least.

I'd definitely recommend playing seated if you're good with cockpit games, I actually preferred these with keyboard and mouse in VR anyways but even so, a bit rough around the gills