cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Pet Project - VR London

I've gone back to trying my hand at 3ds max after some time with Blender (thanks to @LZoltowski for steering me away from the dark side!). So if anyone's interested, this is what I'm working on...

I haven't posted this in the developer section cos it's so far away from being an app it's not funny. Plus I don't want to give away what I have planned other than it's VR London! and I still have to get familiar with Unreal once the modeling's finished, this could take some time.

Anyway, here's some images so far:

2i0k8y6wh62x.jpg

This the terrain covering 3km x 3km (9 x 1km OS grid squares) around the centre of London... Charing Cross.

ajbo082wywvr.jpg

The terrain is from the Ordinance Survey 50m terrain data which unlike other data is true land data ignoring buildings and foliage.

ep9i29a2nko4.jpg

Here, all buildings have been placed. These are basic outlines but are accurate OS building data.

hakx7seay8fc.jpg

Now the hard work, modelling the major landmarks from scratch, above is Westminster bridge, railings and ornamental lighting to be added.

vm28i0jyf880.jpg

...and the London Eye main structure, capsules and spokes to do.

35 REPLIES 35

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well, that's quite an ambitious project. Nice work so far, though.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Well, that's quite an ambitious project. Nice work so far, though.

Yeah, I've been thinking that since I started it!

I like the idea of a super low poly London in the style of Mirror's Edge, which could show off live data like bus positions (from LRT's server) or weather... or a hundred other things. Maybe a tour of landmarks like bridges with fun and useless facts.

Unfortunately there are so many landmarks, 30ish bridges to start with, so may not get finished in my lifetime. I'm not going to give up though.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could have notifications popping up whenever and wherever anyone gets shot or stabbed to death, but there's a chance your app would get overloaded these days lol 😮 😄 😄 😄

Looking great so far!

Very South East elitist.  I think you should add a Northern city and a town from each of the other home nations.   😄
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

@snowdog, that made me smile in a 'sympathetic to the victims and their families' kind or way.

@Hiro_Protag0nist, I think this is going to be 10 years in the making so maybe I should post my workflow details and you can make a start on Huddersfield.

Sterling77
Rising Star
The Getaway VR reboot !! Im serious 🙂 

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

I'm open to suggestions @Sterling77, creating a game is an huge undertaking though... all sorts of AI, voice acting, motion capture, car physics & loads of other stuff. I'll stick to an information/tour app I think. But hey, I could make the finished model available for anyone to use as a game asset.

I never owned a PS but the Getaway series looked interesting if it used a realistic model of London... looks like it covers the same central area around Charing Cross. I'm planning on expanding the area to cover adjacent few km from Hammersmith to the Thames Barrier.

LZoltowski
Champion
WOW, amazing. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I love the idea of virtual tourism. I've never been to London - but have always wanted to see it in my life (something that as I get older I don't feel I will get the opportunity to do it), but thankfully I think that VR will eventually get me there.

I mean I have lived all over Canada and been to a few cities in America - enough to know that outside of the touristy stuff, every city is pretty much the same (lots of buildings, shit traffic, industrial areas, market areas, business areas, etc.) so I am not really put out that my current economic class level doesn't allow me to do or see everything I would like to.

But the option to visit places virtually really does appeal to me - especially for the purposes of planning trips. I may only get 2 or 3 big vacation trips in my life time (maybe / probably less), so the ability to scope out an area first hand is very helpful and doing it in VR would give it a sense of scale and purpose that simply looking at pictures on a monitor wouldn't.

Keep up the cool work DaftnDirect!!!