cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Rift wont connect hdmi or usb3

Harthus
Explorer
so heres the issue. ive had a oculus rift for 11 days and suddenly today i restarted my computer and the headset wont connect anymore. 
To clarify before today my headset would connect to the usb3 and hdmi without any problems and ran smooth. 
Now after a computer restart it wont show up as connected either in the full oculus setup or in the devices tab. 
Ive gone through one of the many usb troubleshooting guides on the net changing powersaving modes, updating drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers with 0 luck. My sensors are detected just fine with the exact same ports ive tried the rift usb3s in. also the hdmi port on my video card works fine with my second monitor.

This all pointed to the cord for the rift being my issue so i took it back to the retailer and got a brand new device with fingers crossed. exact same issue. I can also point out that the little light inside the rift headset lights up so it seems to be getting some power at least. 

Heeeellllppp meeeeeee
36 REPLIES 36

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
What colour is the light...orange or white?
I have this problem and I tracked it down to either the HDMI connector on the Rift or the HDMI port on my graphics card...if I just plug in the HDMI cable (with Oculus Home open) then I get a constant orange light but if I just wiggle it a little or slightly pull it out until I get a permenant white light then it works fine...it's like the Oculus HDMI connector isn't fitting properly or is shorting or something...other HDMI cables seem to work ok (Monitors etc).
I have to be honest and say this headset is the most finnicky piece of Kit I have ever plugged in to my PC...I never know if it is going to work from one day to the next and I dread making any changes to my PC because of the constant USB conflicts, no right headphone and an IPD system that has a mind of its own...If it wasn't for the fact that Assetto Corsa is just so damn good in VR then I would have consigned it to the cupboard long ago and gone back to triple monitors.
Anyways...Worth a try though, right?
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

Harthus
Explorer
I appreciate your help. 
the light is yellow and ive messed with the cable connection at the headset and its not loose or shorting as far as i can tell. unplugged and plugged back in with no luck. 

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer

Harthus said:

I appreciate your help. 
the light is yellow and ive messed with the cable connection at the headset and its not loose or shorting as far as i can tell. unplugged and plugged back in with no luck. 

I meant at the other end where the HDMI connector goes into the graphics card...it takes a bit of fine twiddling but thats what works here...I hope you get it sorted mate.
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you upload your log files here? See this thread for how to get the files.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Harthus
Explorer
I sure can. Here you go Cyber. 

I did check the plug for the hdmi connector. This problem really has my mind blown. 

When i try to add the oculus setup log it says it failed to upload. I dont know if this will work but i copy and pasted the log contents into a notepad .txt and sent again. if you need it in the log file i can try again in a little bit. 

LZoltowski
Champion
Looks like a driver issue, would you be willing to do a complete re-install? You will lose your games so you will need to re-download them

Before you try, please run a full antivirus scan, just to be on the safe side, then:
  1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
  2. Reboot into Safe Mode.
  3. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
  4. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
    • C:\Program Files
  5. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
  6. Restart your computer in normal mode.
  7. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
  8. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here, make sure to run the setup for your C:\ Drive and make sure you have any antivirus disabled.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
There a few errors in there, the one I think that is causing your problem is this:
Windows 10 system doesn't appear to have RiftDisplay.inf installed
You should able to fix that by installing that driver. You can check this folder:

C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers\Drivers\Monitor
And right-click "RiftDisplay.inf" and choose Install.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Harthus
Explorer
I dont have a oculus vr runtime drivers in program files 
I am reinstalling the oculus software now. 

Harthus
Explorer
Alright ive reinstalled and there still is no C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers\Drivers\Monitor folder. Is there a place i can go to download the riftdisplay.inf?