cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Initial Software Setup Error (Sorry, Please Restart Your Computer and Try Again)

Gubru
Explorer
After waiting days with bated breath, I finally received my Oculus! 

Unfortunately, before I can even plug anything in, I am having issues first and foremost with even installing the software! (At this point, I've even tried multiple browsers, too!)

When I'm booting up the initial setup, it'll download the required files (all 9.4GB of them) seemingly alright, before it prompts me to install. I go through the usual cavalcade of directories (which I just leave on their default options), and let it go from there.

A few minutes after staring at the animated loading bar, I am greeted with "Sorry, we have encountered an error during installing. Please restart and try again." And I can proceed no further.
31 REPLIES 31

LZoltowski
Champion
Im off to bed now, If you haven't managed by then I will have a look at it again in the morning.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Gubru
Explorer

Im off to bed now, If you haven't managed by then I will have a look at it again in the morning.

You're much too kind!

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Ah the safe mode part is where I had trouble as it is different in windows 10. I thought I was in safe mode first time and when I deleted folders and rebooted, it had not

Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select the Power icon > Restart.

After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.

LZoltowski
Champion
I see two errors in the logs, one is a corrupt file:

Before doing the setup make sure to delete the folder: C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\

The log shows me that it is re-using those files over and over again. So delete them all.

Make sure to copy the setup exe to the root of C:\  (not in downloads folder)

Also, disable any antivirus/windows defender completely before running setup, this is crucial.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Gubru
Explorer

I see two errors in the logs, one is a corrupt file:

Before doing the setup make sure to delete the folder: C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\

The log shows me that it is re-using those files over and over again. So delete them all.

Make sure to copy the setup exe to the root of C:\  (not in downloads folder)

Also, disable any antivirus/windows defender completely before running setup, this is crucial.

I have tried this. I have deleted every trace of the setup program. I've tried safe mode, I've tried putting the installer in the root Directory, I've tried running cmd as Administrator and using "bypass hotfix", I've tried reinstalling VCREDIST, and I have ensured all antivirus is shut off. I've deleted all registry keys that have anything to do with Oculus .

I'm at an impasse. I feel so defeated, man. I see no reason why this isn't working. 

I even tried a complete fresh install of my GPU drivers... I don't know what else to do .

LZoltowski
Champion
grrr can you show me the latest setup log?

Be kind to one another 🙂

Star-lizard
Rising Star
On step 6 when you reboot your Pc before you continue , have you checked to make sure all oculus folders are gone. When I did mine they showed up , empty but still there so I redid the safe mode steps and r deleted .second time they didn't show at all 

Gubru
Explorer
I shall give that a try after work; including uploading my latest setup log.

It was also suggested I try downloading the software client via a different network. So I'll give they a try, too.

My apologies for the bold text, this forum system doesn't play well with my phone...

Gubru
Explorer
Oddly enough, I started my PC up in Safe Mode without Networking, did my usual rounds of deleting and... restarted back into Safe Mode without Networking again. What I found is that despite my deleting of the Oculus cache in C:\ drive, it still reappeared there. So I deleted it once again and rebooted to make sure that it was gone for good. I switched networks and am trying to redownload the software. I'll keep you posted. 

Failing this, I shall upload my latest setup logs.

LZoltowski
Champion

Gubru said:

Oddly enough, I started my PC up in Safe Mode without Networking, did my usual rounds of deleting and... restarted back into Safe Mode without Networking again. What I found is that despite my deleting of the Oculus cache in C:\ drive, it still reappeared there. So I deleted it once again and rebooted to make sure that it was gone for good. I switched networks and am trying to redownload the software. I'll keep you posted. 

Failing this, I shall upload my latest setup logs.

Great, keep us posted, we are here to help. Cheers!

Be kind to one another 🙂