cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Initial Software Setup Error (Sorry, Please Restart Your Computer and Try Again)

Gubru
Explorer
After waiting days with bated breath, I finally received my Oculus! 

Unfortunately, before I can even plug anything in, I am having issues first and foremost with even installing the software! (At this point, I've even tried multiple browsers, too!)

When I'm booting up the initial setup, it'll download the required files (all 9.4GB of them) seemingly alright, before it prompts me to install. I go through the usual cavalcade of directories (which I just leave on their default options), and let it go from there.

A few minutes after staring at the animated loading bar, I am greeted with "Sorry, we have encountered an error during installing. Please restart and try again." And I can proceed no further.
31 REPLIES 31

Gubru
Explorer
Well, it's a good thing I didn't get my hopes up as my install failed as usual. Attached are my latest setup logs... I'm starting to feel hopeless.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lsCARdEDTieyX-9zz3YswK8f7v3Kfl2k

LZoltowski
Champion
Hmm, and you 100% did disable all antivirus/defender while doing that right?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Gubru
Explorer
^Yes.

LZoltowski
Champion
I have PM'ed you
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
Spoke to the customer, It was windows Defender. Disabling just the real-time protection is not enough, if you scroll down there is a setting for Folder Protection that should also be disabled.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Gubru
Explorer
^He's absolutely right . Windows Defender was the culprit. 

traumelot
Explorer
If you are experiencing this problem, just look at the end of your log file, which can be found at %localappdata%\Oculus\OculusSetup.log (paste that into File Explorer's address bar). Start from the end of the text file and read up until you find the failure, which is usually prefixed by "[Error]".

If you are receiving an error with the Visual C++ 2015 Update 3' redistributable, go into your Add and Remove Programs control panel and uninstall all Visual Basic C++ 2017 items. Thanks to Lalle75 for this post!

traumelot
Explorer
[delete me - duplicate]

Fredmcc04
Honored Guest

traumelot said:

If you are experiencing this problem, just look at the end of your log file, which can be found at %localappdata%\Oculus\OculusSetup.log (paste that into File Explorer's address bar). Start from the end of the text file and read up until you find the failure, which is usually prefixed by "[Error]".

If you are receiving an error with the Visual C++ 2015 Update 3' redistributable, go into your Add and Remove Programs control panel and uninstall all Visual Basic C++ 2017 items. Thanks to Lalle75 for this post!

what if there is no oculus folder there

DukeSD
Honored Guest
I'm just writing in to say the same, I do believe it's the Controlled Folder settings under Windows Defender, just going to leave it off forever.