cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

cybereality
Grand Champion
Also, can you make sure you're on the latest Nvidia driver, 391.35
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Peleous
Honored Guest
@cybereality
No luck.

I don't have the pathway C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers\Drivers\Monitor. No Oculus VR Runtime file, so I'm not able to install "RiftDisplay.inf"..Also, Because I don't have these folders, I'm not sure where to put the file you attached. Is there somewhere else I can put these files?

I do have the pathway C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers. When I double click "Oculus-driver.exe" it doesn't seem like anything is happening. I get an authorization request pop-up from windows, and when I click yes I get a circle pop up on my mouse cursor like something is going to happen, but then it goes away and nothing happens and I still have the same problem when I launch Oculus - I hear audio, but no video at all. (One thing I did notice, when I tried opening Oculus immediately after doing trying to install the drivers, I got an error message saying "Oculus can't open - it may be updating. try again in a few minutes". So something is going on behind the scenes, but there's no install bar or any other type of indication. not sure if this means anything.)

I double-checked and I am running the latest Nvidia drivers 391.35. I reinstalled them just to be safe, but still the same problem.

Please keep in mind that I'm having this problem across multiple computers (my old desktop that was previously working with Oculus, my new desktop - a Corsair One with GTX1080ti, and my laptop - ROG Zephyrus with 1080). Not having the display driver would definitely cause the kind of a problem I'm having, but it's strange that it would be happening across 3 different systems (all running Windows 10 64-bit, and all running the latest Nvidia drivers).

Any other suggestions? and thanks again for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having same problem any solution ?

chatbotte
Honored Guest
I have nvidia gtx 980 latest driver 391.35, with dash 2.0 , I had to rollback the nvidia driver to 388.59.

MontoMonto
Honored Guest
VR Gamers, greetings from Mexico.
First... let me tell you about the main components of my PC:
- Intel Core i7 5690X
- 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
- MoBo ASUS Rampage V Extreme
- 2x Geforce GTX 980Ti in SLI
- Oculus Rift, 3-sensor array with 2 touch controllers and a XBOX One Elite Gamepad.

I was desperate because my Rift was crashing randomly, and with the Core 1.0 usually the device restarted and I was able to continue my game. However, this was not happening with Core 2.0.
This issue about the black screen with the game totally frozen was a constant for me, and with Core 2.0, although is remarkable and beautiful, with the chance of customization of your virtual loft, the message of Error: "Guardian system isn't working correctly" appeared almost in every session, and oh Lord I've tried everything:
- Disable the power management of USB ports and devices
- Install an update for Windows 10
- Re-arrangement of the sensor setup/positioning
- Disable or re-setting up the Guardian Sytem
- Repair the installation of Oculus Core software, etc.

I've corrected this issue with an indirect hint from another user with the same problem as mine.
I've realized that you can't connect all the Oculus Rift components to USB 3.0 ports. I am not an engineer or a computer professional, so I apologize for the nonsense that I could write down in this post, these are only my observations.
In my configuration (1x OR, 3x S and 2x TC) you need to connect everything to USB 3.0 with the exception of one sensor (and touch controllers, of course), that must be in a USB 2.0 port, in order to get everything functioning. However, I've noticed that the recognition of the USB devices is random, at least in my PC, and the connection between the Oculus system components can be changed from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0. You can notice this in the "devices" tab, clicking once in every device and watching in the USB line. 
It seems also that the Oculus Rift VR visor MUST BE always connected to (or recognizing) a USB 3.0 port. It seems also that the sensors could work in USB 2.0 with only one connected to USB 3.0.
I disconnected EVERY device from all the USB ports from the back of my rig and tried in a proof/error way in order to get ALWAYS the VR visor in a USB 3.0. It's very important that the visor is connected (and recognized) in a USB 3.0 port.
I have now almost 3 weeks, happily playing VR games without any "Guardian system isn't working correctly" error and/or black screen/game freezing issues.
If you have this problem, this may work for you.

DonutMaker
Explorer

Peleous said:

@cybereality
No luck.
Any other suggestions? and thanks again for the help.

After having these issues, I rolled back to the recommended NVidia drivers and have had zero issues since.  I haven't even attempted to update to the new drivers since people are reporting the same issues with the new drivers.   In fact, I'm not sure I've even seen a post reporting that their problems were fixed with the newest drivers, so I'm very hesitant to install the latest NVidia drivers for fear of the problems coming back.  

PIXELATED
Adventurer

chatbotte said:

I have nvidia gtx 980 latest driver 391.35, with dash 2.0 , I had to rollback the nvidia driver to 388.59.

I Have Win 10, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe with Nvidia 391.35 driver!!! dash2 and all ASUS 's latest usb drivers and my newly replaced Rift works... all be it without extension cables...
I can't understand why these Nvidia drivers are causing issues for so many... Maybe wipe clean using 'DDU driver uninstall' program, search on web for walk through.
Good luck
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Asus Rog GL703VM gaming laptop, windows 10, GTX 1060 6gb and I'm using driver version 388.59 (also tried latest version). Windows is updated. Everything checks out with the oculus compatibility check tool. I've been getting the black screen issue since I first tried to set the oculus up. The best I've been able to get is the menu screen working perfectly for about a minute or two before it started to flicker black, getting worse over 30 seconds before going black for good. I feel like I've tried everything (changing windows settings, reinstalling oculus app, restarting computer several times, driver updates/rollbacks, checked both ends of HDMI and re seated, switched USB ports ( I have 3 3.0 and 1 2.0), manually updated oculus drivers)ect.. I'm using the classic version of rift core (although I tried 2.0 once and it didn't work either) and have been disabling guardian on my recent attempts. I've been trying to set this up all week with no luck so any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Edit: changed a few setting on nvidia control panel and also bought a mini displayport to hdmi adapter. Not sure what did the trick but works perfectly now.. took a while to get it going but no complaints yet. Skyrim VR is great. 

wardzack
Honored Guest
I am fairly confident this is oculus driver related. There was a new update about 2 hours ago and ever since the update, my screen turns off after about 5 minutes. It used to turn off after about 10-20 minutes prior to this update.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have this issue with two devices (Win10 x64 both):
- Laptop i7 7700HQ 16Gb 1060 6Gb
- Desktop i7 8700K 32Gb 1080Ti

with latest driver 391.35, also try with 388.59 - no hdmi and yellow light. Reinstall oculus app, drivers, change USB ports, re-seat HDMI etc - nothing help...

I tried plug in headset into pci-e USB 3.0 card (it worked with this oculus on my old desktop) - no result.
I plan to try DPORT to HDMI converter next.