cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New replacement Rift no longer works with HDMI extension cable

rawalanche
Protege
Hi,

a few days ago, my Rift headset broke (one earphone stopped working) and I RMAed it at a local hardware store where I have bought it. The very next day, I've received a refund, so I immediately proceeded to buy a new Rift from them. My first Rift was the original bundle that came with remote, XBOX controller and one sensor, but they are not being sold anymore, so I've gotten the new one, that's bundled with two sensors and a touch controllers. 

I did notice some build quality differences, such as that the new foam padding is made from a much cheaper material. I did not mind that, since I bought a VRCover one anyway. What took me by a surprise though, is that my new Rift no longer works with my 2 meter HDMI extension cable. If I plug it directly into my GPU, it works well, however if I plug it via the HDMI extension cable, I get just a black screen (but Oculus software does not report HDMI not connected warning). It is the very same cable my previous Rift worked with, and it is plugged in the very same ports. I don't think that the new units should have any significant hardware difference, which could cause this.

Is there something I can try?

Thanks in advance.
28 REPLIES 28

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you try with the new headset cable that came with the bundle?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

rawalanche
Protege

Can you try with the new headset cable that came with the bundle?

Well, I have only one cable, the new one. When I RMAed the old Rift, I of course had to hand over the entire box, will all the original contents, including the cable.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is the HDMI extension cable an active or passive?

rawalanche
Protege

Mradr said:

Is the HDMI cable an active or passive?

Passive, but as I said, it worked with my previous Rift. Also, it's just 2 meters, so signal should not get lost over such a short distance 😐

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

Passive, but as I said, it worked with my previous Rift. Also, it's just 2 meters, so signal should not get lost over such a short distance 😐

I understand, but I wonder if something might have gotten bent? Have anything you can test with the cable?

rawalanche
Protege

Mradr said:

Mradr said:

I understand, but I wonder if something might have gotten bent? Have anything you can test with the cable?

Yes, that's the first thing I did. I've tested it with both my Chromecast and my Xbox One. No problems whatsoever... 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try restarting the computer once the HMD is plug in if you haven't yet. Then try running the software again and then getting us the log with it plug in. You can get the logs here:

Run "OculusLogGatherer.exe" by double-clicking the icon after navigating to this folder:
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
and upload the zip file to your post.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Rift can be really picky about which extension cables work or not, even with a cable that worked on another unit. You may want to try with the specifically recommended cables here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-extra-equipment/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

PIXELATED
Adventurer
I have recently received a brand new replacement Rift and i ran into this problem also... Where all the other replacement Rifts worked fine with extension (passive) cable but the new CV1 (circa April 2018) does not..
I've had an email message telling me that Oculus do not support extension cables...
Weird..! and i'd love to know more.

The cable i bought and previously worked for two years is:
  • KabelDirekt 3m HDMI Extension Cable compatible with HDMI 2.0a/b, 2.0, 1.4a (Ultra HD, 4K, 3D, Full HD, 1080p, HDR, ARC, Highspeed with Ethernet) - TOP Series
PS I've a feeling that Oculus have changed something. reading reviews of this extension cable on internet have many that say it doesn't work with Rift anymore
Maybe a power/re connfigurement issue ? or the recommended sellers have a deal.. despite oculus not recommending extension cables (-:

but i'm a cynic
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35