Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capsule - CUDA-based omni-stereo image viewer

joan
Protege
This is a small viewer for omni stereo images. Your feedback is appreciated 😄

Capsule-0.3.0-x64.zip

The application does basically one thing: display omnidirectional stereoscopic images to the Rift.

Supported formats

• Equirectangular projections in Left/Right and Over/Under configurations.

• Stereo-cubemaps in the "long strip" format used by GearVR "Oculus 360 Photos" and OTOY's ORBX app.

• *.vr.jpeg files produced by Google Cardboard Camera app.

Usage

• Open files by using the menu or by dragging and dropping from Windows Explorer.

• Navigate through files in the current directory with the Left and Right arrow keys.

• Use the UI options to control the quality/performance tradeoff.

System requirements

• Nvidia GPU with CUDA compute capability 3.0+. (GTX 600 series or greater).

• Windows 7, 8 or 10 in x64 and with .NET 4.5.

• Oculus runtime 0.8.0.0.

• Face with 2 or more eyes.

Design goals

• Being able to quickly view OTOY's Render the Metaverse stereo cubemaps on the DK2.

• Being able to compare and study omni-stereo images from different sources and formats.

• Improving my CUDA programming and exploring the CUDA/Oculus interop.

Performances

• I maintain the 75fps on my GTX 660 at 2.0 pixel density for a 18K stereocubemap and 8K equirect.

• Note that the equirectangular kernel is slightly slower than the cubemap one. Adjust pixel density accordingly if you get judder.

• If you get flickering on one eye, make sure there is no other GPU heavy application running.

Please keep in mind that this is baked-in stereo, you have 2 DOF. Avoid translating your head too much and tilting. A slight distortion wobble is to be expected when rotating your head. If there is a lot of wobble it might be coming from a higher than normal latency, verify this with the performance hud (F11).

Thanks for reading. Your feedback is appreciated :idea:
32 REPLIES 32

joan
Protege
Thanks for the report, sorry it didn't work.

I will add a log of operations to better diagnose these kind of low level issues.

joan
Protege
Hi,
I updated the build. There was a missing dependency that happened to be installed on the various computers I tested with.
I also added logging of important events.

Please let me know how it goes,
Thanks

nchejuan
Honored Guest
Awesome, working perfectly now. Thank you.