cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coachella VR - you should give this a try

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
So I just saw on Youtube that Coachella was streaming live from the event and I noticed they had a "VR" live stream; I was intrigued to check this out.  I downloaded YoutubeVR on Steam and just now watched it for about a half hour.   I have to say this exceeded my expectations.

Coachella isn't really my scene, but it was fun to witness an event this way.  The format is 180 degree 3D stereoscopic and it actually works quite well.  They have about a half-dozen stationary 3D cams set up from various perspectives - different crowd angles and a few on stage and next to the performer.  They bounce around between cameras and I have to say it was pretty f'n cool.

I had no problems whatsoever with the data stream, no choppiness, no interruptions, no bandwidth issues.  The sound and visual quality was really good.  The only issue I had was the god rays from the stage lights against the night backdrop, but this is a lens optics issue and not the stream itself.  Fire up Youtube VR and do a search for "Coachella VR" and you'll see the stream link.

What excites me the most is the myriad of live events that could be broadcast this way.  For example, an on-car cam during a racing event would be absolutely demented.

Give it a try, I though it was sick af.
3 REPLIES 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Thanks for posting this! I was tempted to try it out but my experience with 360 film hasn't been that great, so I passed it up.

But after reading your comments, I'm definitely buying this.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
Zen, Youtube VR is free on Steam and it doesn't cost a penny to watch the stream.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Actually, my bad. I thought you were referring to the $3 VR experience of Wacken:
https://wackenvr.com