cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

Anonymous
Not applicable
Display port to HDMI or DVI to HDMI - helmet still not working... Next try - install 1060 into desktop (i have one) and test it.

DaWeeeed
Honored Guest
Guys, my patience is slowly running out... Bought completely new gaming PC with 1080Ti, primary to enjoy the Oculus, which costs me something 2500+eur plus the price of oculus...  Everything was running fine and smooth but as I updated the nvidia drivers all went black... I read all the posts, said, ok, sh.t happens and was waiting to get this fixed... Now, I spend 2 hours trying to do all the clean driver reinstall with the DDU, clean reinstall of the oculus app, everything I was able to find about how to bring it back to life.  Sadly, no success at all.  Please, since it is already more than a month, I would really like to hear a feasible solution HOW I CAN BRING THE OCULUS BACK TO LIFE as this is definitely NOT what I was opting for.  Its a HUGE shame on nVidia and you too, that you guys are releasing updates that F..K everything that was working and now, you cannot bring that back to life in more than one month time! Looking for a solution from you asap, otherwise I will have to think of money reclaim as you are selling something that is not working and will have to move to HTC...  Dont want to do that, just want my oculus back working...

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
I have advise on the current problem which could help some user's.
When everything is working correctly create a system image. Before updating your NVidia or AMD drivers create a system image. If the new video drivers cause a problem submit a ticket and roll back to working system image if Oculus pushes a new update and your system stops roll back to working image. I been using this system for years with software and drivers to avoid hours of troubleshooting the worst case is I have had to wait till my system image is restored which is 9 minutes. My system image is 37GB.
This way you always have a system image which works with the Oculus.

blacky75
Explorer
I'm racing alot under iRacing... since a week now I'm experiencing VERY unconvenient short time 1-2 sec blackouts... until my last race ended up with never coming up again 😞  What's going on?! I reverted back to the old nvidia driver, didn't changed the issue... what's the problem?
specs: MB-Asus P9X79, CPU-i7 4820K (not OC'ed) Watercooled, RAM-64Gb, SSDs, GC-Zotac AmpExtreme 2080ti, Oculus Rift S, 3x32Samsung Screen

GregTampa
Explorer
logs too big to attach, but im having this issue.. and even sometimes one side will go dark. or both.

darklink11
Honored Guest
well my oculus app work one time after i close it and want to relog i  just get a black square and dont see anything on my pc screen  FIX IT!!!!!!!! if i want to start repair i get cant connect and i should check my Internet well if my Internet isnt working how can i Post a Comment with my Pc OCULUS -.- well i can't attach my log either

dombom88
Honored Guest
I have the same problem. First when I installed the Oculus I had screen on my headset, but it wasn't detected by HDMI. I reinstalled the RiftDisplay.Inf and now my Oculus stays black and the orange light is on. I'm trying since 10hours to fix it, but no chance so far. Rolled back my NVidia drivers to 388.59, but it doesn't help.
I attached the log file. Maybe someone has an idea whats wrong.
Maybe its the denied access from windows? No fckn idea...

cybereality
Grand Champion
Did you maybe install the Oculus setup with Run as Admin? If you do that, it will mess up the permissions, Please uninstall Oculus completely and install normally (NOT Run as Admin). Also, it's having trouble finding your headset, that may be a USB issues so try different USB ports for the headset cable (USB 2.0 works as well) and/or update your USB drivers.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Crespo80
Explorer
MB ASRock Z170 gaming-ITX/AC,
CPU Intel Core i7 6700,
RAM 2x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz,
SSD Samsung 850EVO 500GB
GPU MSI Geforce GTX1070 armor.
Windows 10 PRO 64bit

I also have the problem on latest drivers 391.35: sometimes Windows says there's a problem with the USB controller, sometimes the rift doesn't detect a sensor or says there's a problem, when I play a game the screens starts juddering badly, then it goes black for good.
I had a fresh install of Windows and the problem persisted.
I reverted from core 2.0 to old Oculus mode, then reverted the Nvidia drivers to 387.92 and the problems changed: after a few minutes the frame-rate drops and the screen of the rift starts juddering badly, but the screen doesn't become black. The image on the monitor is OK and it doesn't seem to suffer low frame rate.

For other reasons I'm in the process of switching platform, I'm moving to Ryzen (I will also change the PSU), but I'm keeping the GTX1070 for now, I'll report to you if the problem persists.

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK I finally fixed my Judder problems which began around 4th April. There was no Driver Update to cause it but something triggered it, possibly Renesas USB3 Driver Update (Microsoft) or a Mediatech Update which installed a driver for Andoid Phones knowing you connected one already. Plus the Oculus Firmware and generally things expanding and using more system memory.

*Used latest DDU Driver Uninstall in Safe Mode - although about 7 ways to get in Safe Mode it for Win10 was not so simple when it tries to find ISO of OS to revert to as 1st auto step! I used HOLD SHIFT whilst selecting RESTART in START MENU to get there. Cancalled the ISO search, Advanced, it reboots, gives you several options, Select Safe Mode number 4. Use DDU (not connected to net & not to install driver upon boot). From here I found the Driver 384.94 also on the DDU website and installed using Microsoft method of Updating Driver in Device Panel rather than using the daft package with Experience. 
*It went well but there was no Nvidia Panel on Right-Click until I rebooted yet again as is normal for drivers to work properly. Then to config the FULL DYNAMIC RANGE as this gets your black the most black. I also altered DSR=ON and checked all boxes just in case it required this. (???)
*E:D running Max but Shadows to High as a compromise and OculusDebugTool PD= 1.85 and it runs fine. On 1.9 I get slight stutters. On 2 I get it ok everywhere except in Stations at times it goes crazy so I take it that is bottlenecking, heat, and memory all at once. My EVGA Precision-X fan control & overclock takes 44MB and I maybe better without it (???). Otherwise, I got it working fine and super smooth on PD=1.85 and happy.
*It also installed the daft 3D Driver so I removed that and I already Disable the standard driver for my Monitor so it didn't put Nvidia Audio on either. It did put on PhysX which hardly any games use now plus VulkanRT (excellent) and this I read made LONE ECHO work again for one user so I may try this again. Although I had many hard crashes when I tried it last time to no avail and it could have been the cause. That is severely bad of them to add SSE4.2 check in a game. It installs but can not run past the menu.

*I had a few occasions with a black screen whilst it had Judders. One time when I selected through alias in E:D it just went black when I selected FXAA. However, in Nvidia Global Settings this is set OFF as default yet it has always worked before plus it does again now fixed. Although I really prefer SMAA and ignore the slightest of jitter around the screen edges for big objects e.g. a Station when rolling fast. Another time when I played with e OculusDebugTool Sensor ON/OFF and it too just went black but cam back on again.
*I must also add that it took quite some time for the PC files to settle as it performs some filing processes in the background. This is due to the files now being spread out from previous installs. I think this is called "INDEXING". Loading times are longer initially but that maybe partly pre-warmup shaders calculations.
CHECK THIS OUT: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/62663/how-nvidia-ruins-the-oculus-rift-experience#latest