cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch controllers - Hoping for an updated version

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hey guys, I think I've had my Rift + Touch Controllers for a year now, not sure, maybe longer. Like most people on these forums I really love VR and think the Rift and Touch controllers are amazing.

Having said that, it would be nice if they update and release a new version of the Touch Controllers in the future. I think the circle part that wraps around your knuckles and fingers should be bigger next time, I have really big hands and sometimes it gets in the way in certain games. It's hard to explain but I think it should be 2-3 inches wider.

And the 2nd thing is, I always seem to be changing batteries, would be nice if it had the latest tech in batteries, like internal, recharge from PC with USB and lasted a longer time. Even wireless charging but would be nice but I guess that's asking for a lot.

As the first iteration of a new invention for new VR technology the touch controllers are a great start, but with a few updates I think they could be so much better.

What do you guys reckon?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
They are perfect the way they are for me, but I can understand making the ring a bit bigger for people that have larger hands sizes or move the ring a bit more forward.

As for the battery - no. Rechargeable internal ones means you have to wait every time you want to use them and that feels bad when you forget to charge it up the night before. I had the PS move wands and yea xD had to always plan a day a head if you wanted to use them. With current - I can just replace with my rechargeables instead and never have a problem.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Mradr said:

They are perfect the way they are for me, but I can understand making the ring a bit bigger for people that have larger hands sizes or move the ring a bit more forward.

As for the battery - no. Rechargeable internal ones means you have to wait every time you want to use them and that feels bad when you forget to charge it up the night before. I had the PS move wands and yea xD had to always plan a day a head if you wanted to use them. With current - I can just replace with my rechargeables instead and never have a problem.

What if we had wireless charging pad designed specifically for touch controllers though? That wouldn't be a hassle? Every time your finished playing and you put them on your desk they automatically charge? That wouldn't be difficult?

And batteries have come a long way now, they should easily be able to make it so we only need to charge once a week or even once a month? We shouldn't have to charge every day.

With the current method, I know you think it's easy, but I always forget and have to go to shop to buy batteries, and batteries are expensive, I must spend £50 per year on batteries?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

bigmike20vt
Visionary
my mate has a vive.... should he happen to forget to charge them before use and it comes to gaming he is crap out of luck....... OTOH my touch batteries last for literally months without me having to recharge them, and even when i do its just a slip in, slip out of the back up ones and i am good to go after 2 mins faffing.

its one reason why i prefer the xbox pad to both my ps3 and ps4 pads as well.... i am constantly having to have the sony pads plugged in when i want to use them. built in batteries suck imo, and if you find yourself changing them too often, consider buying better batteries?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like that I can use rechargeable batteries in my controllers - I always a have two charged and ready to go and swap out as I need. Besides the Touch controllers are really efficient with their battery use - I haven't tracked the days between charges but it is at least a few weeks and I use them daily. It also means that I don't have to worry about the internal battery ever failing and having to get a replacement controller.

Rechargeable batteries are an utter pain as someone has already said - it's a nightmare if nobody has bothered to plug the wands in at work.  As for slight modifications - that would be great, maybe shave a few ounces of the weight too.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Thmoas
Rising Star
Indeed, the battery setup right now is perfect for me.

They can improve on them for one reason for me: they start clacking after a while, and pretty soon. I think you all know about the rubber pad getting loose on the trigger. I had it happen to my first set, both triggers. I bouth an extra Touch set just for the sensor but started using them as they are new and do'nt clack. Now after a few months of use, these have started clacking too.

Now that I think of it, I can try to fix my first set now, risk free, as I have a backup set.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My right controller's top trigger has recently started feeling stuck - it still works but it sounds really loud and there is some extra resistance on it, is it the rubber pad thing I have glanced about in a few threads? If so - should I worry about it, it hasn't given me any trouble other than being slightly annoying. My left trigger is fine.

Digikid1
Consultant
I also have large hands and the current touch controllers are perfect the way they are. 

I use ONLY Duracell normal batteries and I use my rift on a daily basis. In the year that I’ve had my Rift I’ve only had to change them ONCE. 

Richooal
Consultant

With the current method, I know you think it's easy, but I always forget and have to go to shop to buy batteries, and batteries are expensive, I must spend £50 per year on batteries?

Aldi (UK) sells a 16 pack of AA batteries for £3.98.
If you're spending £50 per year, you're doing something else with your batteries.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.