cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random "Gear VR undocking issue"

AntJ2017
Protege
About a week ago I used my Gear VR for the first time since my Galaxy S8 updated to Android Oreo.  It worked fine.  Since then, though, my phone has been randomly popping up "Gear VR undocking issue / tap here to finish undocking your mobile device" notifications.  It seems to happen about once per day, despite me not having used the headset since last weekend.  Every time I tap the notification it disappears, only to come back later or the next day.

The notification didn't appear at the time I removed the phone from the headset, only sometime later and then multiple times since.  Is there any way I can fix this?
41 REPLIES 41

Aquaurchin99
Honored Guest
I am having the same issue. Any information would be much appreciated!

SorinLavric
Honored Guest
Oculus will not answer us, we are to small customers for them! They focus more on Oculus Rift than Gear VR users....anyway I have the same problem on my Note8 after update with Oreo

anthony_smarrel
Explorer
Adding my name to the list. Also started for me after the oreo update, and it's been months since I used gear VR on my note 8.

I'm going to submit a proper support request too though because it's happening several times a day.

davidfritz
Honored Guest
Same issue here, but still on Nougat with S7. Notification appearing at least twice a day. Help Oculus!

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'd recommend submitting a support ticket so we can look into this issue. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

AntJ2017
Protege
Thanks, I will do that.
I've used the Gear VR again since, docking and undocking it a couple of times, hoping that would fix it.  But the notification is still appearing, apparently randomly.

junpeikyu
Honored Guest
I do have the same thing happening on the Weekend and just seconds ago. Android Oreo on Galaxy S8.
Is it a bug?

AntJ2017
Protege
I suspect a bug introduced in a recent Oculus update, but I'm no expert.  For those interested in trying, Oculus support have got back to me and suggested the following:
  • Shutting down and restarting the phone (I'd already done this and it didn't make a difference).
  • Ensuring the Facebook App Manager and Facebook App Installer apps are enabled (they both already were on my phone).
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling all the Oculus apps (I haven't tried that yet).
They gave me the link below which shows which apps to uninstall and how to do so, but I don't know yet how to reinstall them again afterwards.  I also don't know what effect this will have on any installed VR games/apps or their data.  I'm waiting for their response on this before I try it.

JMDaemon
Expert Protege
I too am getting this error on a daily baises even though it has been a week since I used my gear vr. I have rebooted and even wiped the cache but it still pops up.