Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More myopic reporting from pundits

cybernettr
Superstar

Opinion piece onCNET:

It's time to break up with VR
Commentary: More than two years into the current virtual reality era, it feels like we've hit a brick wall.
From the article: 
Virtual reality may yet become a massive mainstream hit, but it's not going to happen with this generation of tech”
The author makes two false assumptions in this article:

1: That the current generation of VR has to be a “massive mainstream hit” right from the beginning; and

2: If it isn’t a massive mainstream hit from the beginning, then it’s a failure. (Well, those aren’t the only false assumptions he makes, but those are the main ones.)

Reality: The personal computer (originally called the “home computer” or the “microcomputer”) was for several years the exclusive domain of geeks and tinkerers. Early cellphones were so expensive with such crappy service that they faced stiff competition with pagers and were originally used only by businessmen. 

As is is increasingly common with articles in the mainstream media, which are afraid of dissenting opinion, the original story doesn’t allow reader comments. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/its-time-to-break-up-with-vr/
62 REPLIES 62

RattyUK
Trustee

so the crunch..... is it more impressive (as a complete package) than lone echo?

That is a tough one, I have both and have enjoyed playing Lone Echo immensely.

...but they are chalk and cheese...   I have always been a fan of dungeon crawlers and spent many hours on the first edition of Skyrim, I did try to resist the temptation when VR came out, but alas, I am a weak mortal who revels in magic, crypts and dragons.

SkyrimVR is the same game as the vanilla one, and that was (is) excellent for its genre, but being in the midst of the game world rather than looking into it has enhanced the gameplay, even with its less-than-immersive control system, far beyond the original.

I'd rather put SkyrimVR and Lone Echo side by side as 'greats' in their respective genres.

So, if you like what you have read / heard about SkyrimVR and enjoy Dungeon adventuring, and have the budget to waste on it, give it a try, then tell us your opinion.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

bigmike20vt
Visionary
indeed i will be picking it up... but i want to get a new gpu 1st (so close to hitting the green buy button on an inno 3d x2 1080ti for £660 but i digress.

but even then, i have so many games to play that i may wait a little while. My mate has it however so i may wangle a bit of steam sharing..... i still think it is a lot of money considering i own the core game AND its not got full VR implementation  but still....
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Blimey that's a great price for a 1080Ti, but you might want to wait a few months before getting one because the 11s will be out pretty soon. 😄

bigmike20vt
Visionary

snowdog said:

Blimey that's a great price for a 1080Ti, but you might want to wait a few months before getting one because the 11s will be out pretty soon. 😄

i know... i got as far as the cc payment box and realised the wife has my card to do the weekly shop.... i have found the details now but was long enough to gain some control and cancel... bugger me its hard tho, i have the proper upgrade itch now but my fear is, the gtx 1080ti is not quite where i want it to be (my gtx 980 i just blindly put 95% of monitor games up to ultra at 1080p and just go with no worries of tanking frames... i want the same from my new gpu... but at 4k.

cards are finally coming back to somewhere close to sensible however.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do actually think there is something to be said for old games being retooled for VR - as far as gaming goes, experiencing something like Skyrim or Doom 3 in VR was somewhat of a transformative experience for me. Even older games like No One Lives Forever 2 that use traditional controls feel different in VR and it is a space I hope to see occupied by more games - I would love a true VR mod for the Dark Engine games (Thief series / System Shock 2), and more recent immersive sims would be great in VR too - even if they don't make use of full potential of VR controllers (I mean RE7 in VR is still a traditional gaming experience that requires you use the gamepad).

That is not to say I think they are what is going to push VR ahead - and I love the native experiences that are available for VR and see great potential in them and of course an Elder Scrolls game built from the ground up to use VR would be amazing.

But when I bought my Rift - I also bought VorpX at the same time specifically so I could play old games in VR. It was one of the bigger selling points for me and SkyrimVR kind of confirms to me that there is a demand for the bigger gameplay worlds that traditional games offer. I mean could you imagine playing Dishonoured in VR? That would be sick - especially if they paid lip service to the Touch Controllers / Wands like Skyrim does.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also bought VorpX for the same reason but there have been so many great quality VR games released so far, most of which are AAA quality and funded by Facebook, that I haven't had the need to use it yet.

I still keep meaning to play the first Bioshock and the Metro games using VorpX but I just haven't found the time yet tbh.

I might get Resident Evil 7 and VorpX it if Capcom don't announce a PCVR version at E3 though but I certainly won't play it flat. Flat games are dead to me as far as I'm concerned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

I also bought VorpX for the same reason but there have been so many great quality VR games released so far, most of which are AAA quality and funded by Facebook, that I haven't had the need to use it yet.

I still keep meaning to play the first Bioshock and the Metro games using VorpX but I just haven't found the time yet tbh.

I might get Resident Evil 7 and VorpX it if Capcom don't announce a PCVR version at E3 though but I certainly won't play it flat. Flat games are dead to me as far as I'm concerned.

come on flat games are still fun - I couldn't imagine missing out on the new Underworld game or any of the immersive sims on the horizon.

(though I do wish they were all coming out in VR) LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable
Flat games just don't do it for me any more I'm afraid. I didn't even get and play the most recent Zelda game because it was a flat game, and that's REALLY saying something. 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Flat games just don't do it for me any more I'm afraid. I didn't even get and play the most recent Zelda game because it was a flat game, and that's REALLY saying something. 😮

I understand completely (especially after playing SkyrimVR) - but I am not ready to give up flat gaming just yet.

The new Zelda was okay - they really missed the mark on the dungeons though. I mean I loved the open world, and the puzzle dungeons were neat diversions. But the big main dungeons were terrible and not what I really play a Zelda game for - I hope for the next one they keep the same big world but add some more substance to the game narrative and bring back classic Zelda dungeons and special tools.

I was much more impressed with A Link Between Worlds - and almost like it better than A Link to the Past (which is my favourite game of all time).

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Over 90% of flat games bore me to tears. But last year I was hooked on StarCraft 2 !!