cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing some lags/stutter in games/apps. Laptop gtx 1060. Is hardware the problem?

believr
Explorer
Hey there, non-native english speaker here.

First, let's see if the problem is my specs?

• It's a Laptop
  • i7 7700 HQ 2.8 GHz
  • 32 GB RAM
  • GTX1060 GPU
  • headset pluged in usb 3.0 (but says 2.0) - using an usb 3.0 extension because the usb close to the HDMI is under an Asmedia controller with compatibility issues
  • 1 sensor in usb 3.0
  • 1 sensor in usb 2.0
  • it was expensive (I'm in Brazil)
Driver
  • Nvidia driver 390.77
Secondly, what I've already tried:
  • Set windows settings to performance over quality
  • Disabled USB power saving in windows settings
  • Went to Devices panel and turned off USB power saving option in every USB device possible
  • Disabled windows defender while playing/working (I have no other anti-virus)
  • I have no recording apps or anything with overlay issues that I've read about
  • Disabled game overlay in GeForce Experience
  • Set performance option in Nvidia Cotrol panel
So, what's happening?

I'm trying to work with archviz and chose Unity to do it. I was experiencing some stutter while testing what I was doing and I thought it  was something related to mesh optimization, texture packing and other things. It kinda is but then I started looking elsewhere, like the Oculus app and the Robo Recall game.

The thing is, while trying the Oculus home screen I experience some kind of lag/stutter when I move my head around. It doesn't happen every time (I read someone say micro stutter). It doesn't make it unusable, but it's noticeable and annoying. It also happens in Robo Recall. The game plays well, but like I said, if you try to see the problem you notice it. If you play the game, in the middle of the action you might not see it.

I debugged my app and saw the FPS over 100 frequently. I profiled it and saw frame drops, but couldn't explain to myself what the profiler was saying (the Oculus profiler).

The hard truth I think is that I made a bad choice by choosing a laptop that is not a crazy awesome (and expensive) one.

Not willing to believe in the hard truth... what might be the problem here? I'm going crazy reading a lot in the foruns trying to fit my problem in, but everything I tried based in other people problems are not working.

Did I really messed up by choosing a laptop or is something else?
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
It came back. I discovered it was my gpu overclocker new version EVGA PrecisionOCX.
The problem goes away totally if I do not use it. I will revert to the older version PrecisionX16.

Anonymous
Not applicable
However, I have finished my testing for Judders I had in E:D now solved.
RESULT: It was EVGA PrecisionXOC which makes use of the Pascal power of my GTX1080
This is my overclock/fan control monitor. I had actually been using this in full KBOOST mode always because in my understanding since earlier versions I needed this program open to get my fans to run properly rather than my old GTX970 sat idle too much before over heating. e.g. E:D used to crash when exiting from H-Jumps to Stars without this program running a Custom Fan Profile to get the fans running earlier. In my mind I thought I had to select KBOOST to get the Factory Preset OC2 speeds/settings. Actually, (it does now say in tips) this button it ONLY for Benchmark Stress Testing as it puts the card in overdrive mode at max.
If I use the older PrecisionX16 it no longer lets me access this tiny button the size of this "." and the program is merely a monitor and fan controller. If I use the latest PrecisionXOC which makes use of the Pascal power of my GTX1080, even with KBOOST=OFF, it still will make E:D goes all crazy glitching but only within the Stations. So with E:D I must not use this program which is a monitor in my use anyways. I simply thought it was a need to have it running due to experience of the old GTX970 which the firmware had a slow startup for fans from idle. The new cards are fine to not require Custom Fan Profiles and if they are Factory Overclocked then that is their new default to not require KBOOST. That button is way too easy to think you need use it!!!