cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

wardzack
Honored Guest
Anyone have any success with the latest oculus update?

the_soupdragon
Honored Guest
WOW my oculus software just updated and now I have this black fucking screen.
Oculus software tells me everything is connected but in my notifications It says oculus isnt working correctly.  No Shit!!

I click on the support article and get taken to a web page with some totally useless suggestions.

I need this sorted quick.  Not a happy bunny as you might have guessed.

[edit]  looking through the forum and taking on some advice posted here I rolled back my Nvidia drivers to the recommended version (388.59) my rift is working again.  So if you have the black screen issue this might be worth a try. [end edit]

African_Warlord
Honored Guest
Ive recently developed an issue with my hdmi headset cable ( i think). while the headset is on, it will occasionally blackout. sometimes it blinks in and out and sometimes its stay black the only solution I have managed to find is to mess with the cable. I have also noticed that while the sound works just fine, my mic apparently turns off. ive only had the rift for about 7 months. not sure why the cable suddenly crapped out on me. if i were to guess its due to twisting the cable when i spin around in games (i have it jury rigged to the ceiling with a dog leash). is there anyway to fix my cable or do i seriously have to buy a new one?

ToddBarber
Honored Guest
I am having them, just started since the new Oculus update.  Using Beta

System Specs

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name THREADRIPPER
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model X399 AORUS Gaming 7
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F3g, 10/3/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.371"
User Name THREADRIPPER\Todd Barber
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 57.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 73.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 62.0 GB
Page File Space 9.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Karpist
Explorer

Please find attached log files.

I have an Oculus rift which runs fine on my home machine [ i7, windows 10, Asus 1050ti ] however my work machine is a real problem.

We have now updated the graphics card to a Nvidia Quadro P4000 [stated as Oculus Vr friendly by Nvidia, and listed by Oculus as compatible and get all green ticks in the Oculus system check from a previous M4000.

We updated the adapter to a plugable.com dp-hdmi HDMI standard 2.0 supporting resolution up to 3840x2160 (4K) Ultra-HD @ 60Hz, 1080P@120Hz.

We updated the Nvidia drivers 391.33 . running Window 7 HP Z840 64gb ram dual Xeon.

We have run a repair on the Oculus install and applied the patch.

Still no video in the headset only audio but a very nice image of VR game running on screen thanks to card, the image also moves in synch to the headset. The Oculus set up goes as far as continue set up in head set....not seeing anything makes this difficult.

Where do I go from here...I would note that I am running a dual monitor CAD set up and so I have a primary and secondary monitor set at 1920 x 1080 of the four port on the graphics card both monitors run thro adapters and a third is used for the above adapter to run the Rift. Any help gratefully received.

blacky75
Explorer
still experience short Blackouts whilst racing!!! Any fix approaching? TIA
specs: MB-Asus P9X79, CPU-i7 4820K (not OC'ed) Watercooled, RAM-64Gb, SSDs, GC-Zotac AmpExtreme 2080ti, Oculus Rift S, 3x32Samsung Screen

cybereality
Grand Champion
Does this happen in multiple games or just 1 title? Do you have fully updated video card drivers?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

blacky75
Explorer

Does this happen in multiple games or just 1 title? Do you have fully updated video card drivers?

it never happened before, now it happens ... I just played these last month at iRacing only in the rift...and I'm unable to produce it a specific time, as sometimes I can race an hour w/o any problem, the other race later on the blackouts are starting. Nvidia drivers are up to date, running a 1080 card. It's not hardware related, it is somewhere, somehow, software. Now, is it the latest Windows 10 patches? The latest Nvidia drivers? .... What's triggering the black outs?!.... 😕 In the mean time I can't drive any official races, as the rift isn't sure.... 😕
Thnks for trying to help!
specs: MB-Asus P9X79, CPU-i7 4820K (not OC'ed) Watercooled, RAM-64Gb, SSDs, GC-Zotac AmpExtreme 2080ti, Oculus Rift S, 3x32Samsung Screen

cybereality
Grand Champion
The reason I ask is because I recall people reporting all sorts of issues with iRacing (including black screens) and it could be something specific to that game.

PIXELATED
Adventurer

Did you maybe install the Oculus setup with Run as Admin? If you do that, it will mess up the permissions, Please uninstall Oculus completely and install normally (NOT Run as Admin). Also, it's having trouble finding your headset, that may be a USB issues so try different USB ports for the headset cable (USB 2.0 works as well) and/or update your USB drivers.

hi cyber..
Please can you explain why running the install as admin would mess things up..I've not heard this before.. Has something changed recently? Intrigued...   
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35