cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

occasionally stutter / judder - Please help

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I have recently bought an Oculus rift and I'm having perfomance issues..

When I play, I occasionally experience "hickups" and stutter, especially when i look around..

I'm currently playing the Climb to test it but I have experienced the same issues in multiple games. I't also seems that my PC stutters, when I'm taking the HMD off - but only when the HMD is connected..

It doesen't seems to be effected wether it's high or low settings

I sometimes get the message "Poor tracking quality, and "too many lost IMU Samples"

I therefore suspect that it is a USB-bandwith issue..   

I have an Oculus Rift HMD, 2 sensors and 2 touch controllers, 1 keyboard and 1 mouse connected..

I do not experience any performance issues in "normal" games where I play games like PUBG or BF1 on ultra settings..

I have the following system:

* ASUS PRIME Z 370 Motherboard.
* INTEL CORE I5 8400 @ 2.81 GHz
* ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080
* 16 GB DDR4 RAM
* WIN10 64 BIT
* SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB SSD

I have tried the following:

* Complete reinstall of WIN10
* Reinstall of Oculus Home
* Disabling/removal of software like MSI afterburner
* Disabling all in game overlays
* Switching USB ports
* Connecting a powered USB hub

I do not have software like flux or any Asus motherboard related software. My GPU and system drivers are fully updated. My GPU usage is around 50-70% and my CPU Usage is around 30-40%.

When I'm running the debug tool the game usually runns around 90 FPS, and around 20-30% headroom, except when the stutter appears - then both the FPS and headroom will drop..

I have seen on forums that you sometimes recommend people to buy an PCI usb HUB, but the thing is that I have seen forums where people have the same motherboard as me, but have no issues...

Please help me I don't know what else I could do.. 😞

Best Regards
Markus

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
It came back when using EVGA PrecisionOCX but is totally gone not running this. However, I had not fully uninstalled previous versions of that so I will either try again or revert back to using the older PrecisionX16. It just means I can't overclock but it's a GTX1080 and at just 40% usage anyways even on PD=2.
Perhaps the new Pascal commands are too demand and my Xeon Quad Duo may not be using those extra functions.

Anonymous
Not applicable
However, I have finished my testing for Judders I had in E:D now solved.
RESULT: It was EVGA PrecisionXOC which makes use of the Pascal power of my GTX1080
This is my overclock/fan control monitor. I had actually been using this in full KBOOST mode always because in my understanding since earlier versions I needed this program open to get my fans to run properly rather than my old GTX970 sat idle too much before over heating. e.g. E:D used to crash when exiting from H-Jumps to Stars without this program running a Custom Fan Profile to get the fans running earlier. In my mind I thought I had to select KBOOST to get the Factory Preset OC2 speeds/settings. Actually, (it does now say in tips) this button it ONLY for Benchmark Stress Testing as it puts the card in overdrive mode at max.
If I use the older PrecisionX16 it no longer lets me access this tiny button the size of this "." and the program is merely a monitor and fan controller. If I use the latest PrecisionXOC which makes use of the Pascal power of my GTX1080, even with KBOOST=OFF, it still will make E:D goes all crazy glitching but only within the Stations. So with E:D I must not use this program which is a monitor in my use anyways. I simply thought it was a need to have it running due to experience of the old GTX970 which the firmware had a slow startup for fans from idle. The new cards are fine to not require Custom Fan Profiles and if they are Factory Overclocked then that is their new default to not require KBOOST. That button is way too easy to think you need use it!!!