cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use Oculus on DisplayPort>HDMI Adapter (4k*2k) short cable. Is the issue to do with the DVI>HMDI Adapter not sending active power after some time I wonder?

I was not aware of Oculus setup with NOT Run as Admin myself either and had presumed the opposite but can't remember what I did 1 year ago besides use Runtime v1.0 to avoid SSE4.2 cpu checks.

misc1234
Honored Guest
This really need to be fixed. I haven't been able to install my rift at all. On setup when you shall finish in the headset its just black. I have white light but no image or sound if it should be in that step? I've tried everything I can read on forums. All adrivers i can come up with both old and latest. Tried every port on my brand new computer.
Please come up with a solution. Expensive compuiter and expensive VR and haven't tried it at all.
I shall mention I haven't been able to install RiftDisplay.inf on my computer if that helps? Just says "a problem occured"

Attached my logs
And here are my specs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit
i7 8700K
16gb 3200mhz RAM
Asus 1070ti

moeta5888
Honored Guest
Hello Oculus Community,
I have been in contact with support for some time now and have had the blank screen and orange light for a couple months. I received one replacement which did not remedy the problem and I'm creating this post as a hail mary in hopes that someone might have some further insight to my particular issue. My specs are:

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Intel Core i7 6800K @ 3.40GHz
ASUS X99-E (SOCKET 2011)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
32.0GB of Ram

The Oculus Log is from a refurbished headset that was sent to me recently. I appreciate any help and best of luck to everyone trying to fix their issues.

Bru_Warden
Explorer
Intermittent Black Screen: 
Adding a short HDMI cable does not affect my Rift.
Adding a short USB 3.0 cable to the headset (with and without HDMI extension) causes intermittent black screen (1-3 second black out, once every 10 minutes, but increases up to once per minute with use). I have used repeaters to no avail. I have installed the recommended USB card that has its own power source plugged into the PC Power source with only the Rift headset plugged into the card - no success.
I have done all recommended software changes (power saving, etc) - no change.
From what I can tell, its neither an operating system or Oculus software issue. It appears to be lack of signal strength to through the USB 3.0 extension cable (I have tried different cables) to the headset, but cannot find a way to reliably boost it.

One trick that does work for me is to extend the HDMI (plugged in back of PC), and plug the USB to the front of my PC - giving me an extra couple of precious feet to work with.

EDIT: I dropped out the recommended "Intertek 3.0 USB PCIe card", and replaced with a "Startech PCIe USB 3.0 w/ dedicated channels". I am now running one 9ft extension to the headset, with 2 x 3.0 USB sensors (one with a 20ft repeater) on the card, and a 3rd sensor off the motherboard's 3.0 USB --- and have no issues.

blacky75
Explorer

The reason I ask is because I recall people reporting all sorts of issues with iRacing (including black screens) and it could be something specific to that game.

ok, then I have to try out 2 things now:
Playing Elite Dangerous or RaceRoom over an hour,
and if THEN I STILL have blackouts, I'll try with the cables directly into the USB ports, as I'm using USB 3 cable extensions... Keep in touch!
specs: MB-Asus P9X79, CPU-i7 4820K (not OC'ed) Watercooled, RAM-64Gb, SSDs, GC-Zotac AmpExtreme 2080ti, Oculus Rift S, 3x32Samsung Screen

Tack88
Honored Guest
Ive change my graphic card by a Nvidia GeForce GTX 960. Now, I have a black screen. Plz help me.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professionnel N Service Pack 1 64 bit (build 6.1.7601)
Asus Z97-P (BIOS 2803)
Intel Core i5-4670 3,40 GHz socket 1150 (Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
8Go RAM
I try to use driver 388.59 but it dosn't work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXf-9rI28xb5eEEAnlJFe_QeVQa9exWB/view?usp=sharing

Anonymous
Not applicable
My "No HDMI connection" solved by replacing cable (it cost 1/4 of full headset...). Attach  foto of old hdmi connector. HOW can this pin has broken this way - I don't know...djdtngsr5gux.png

MerlinC
Protege

uzul81 said:

My "No HDMI connection" solved by replacing cable (it cost 1/4 of full headset...). Attach  foto of old hdmi connector. HOW can this pin has broken this way - I don't know...djdtngsr5gux.png

Every electrical connector has a limited lifetime (contact durability) - but depending on the time you own your device it should not break. In case if it's no older than 24 months and you are living in the EU you could issue a warranty claim.

P.S.: Would be interested how long you own the device / cable and how often you plugged/unplugged the HDMI cable.

You could avoid stressing the connnector by either keeping it plugged or you use a short extension - but if you buy an inexpensive one you could run into issues operating your Rift (disconnects)

Anonymous
Not applicable

MerlinC said:

uzul81 said:

My "No HDMI connection" solved by replacing cable (it cost 1/4 of full headset...). Attach  foto of old hdmi connector. HOW can this pin has broken this way - I don't know...

Every electrical has a limited lifetime (contact durability) - but depending on the time you own your device it should not break. In case if it's no older than 24 months and you are living in the EU you could issue a warranty claim.

P.S.: Would be interested how long you own the device / cable and how often you plugged/unplugged the HDMI cable.

You could avoid stressing the connnector by either keeping it plugged or you use a short extension - but if you buy an inexpensive one you could run into issues operating your Rift (disconnects)

I own Rift about 4 month, first time (2.5 month) use it with laptop and plug/unplug it every time I used it (often). Then I build new desktop (laptop's 7700HQ + 16Gb RAM + 6Gb 1060 has some lags in E:D and ETS2, and I bought 8700K + 32Gb + 1080ti and all work very smooth). Interesting, what I play in headset in evening, shut down PC, and next morning Rift say "No HDMI connection" - I DON'T touch cables at all!
I live in Russia, warranty not working here likely...

cybereality
Grand Champion
I had the black screen happen on my home system. I was able to resolve it by going to this folder:
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
And double-clicking "oculus-driver.exe". Maybe it will help some of you.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV