Oculus privacy — take It or leave it? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus privacy — take It or leave it?

cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 902
3Jane

In the coming weeks, we'll introduce My Privacy Center, a new, centralized place to review and adjust your privacy and data controls. You’ll be able to review your settings, manage your communications preferences, and do things like download your data and delete your account.

The updated Privacy Policy includes details on how to use My Privacy Center, along with more detailed information about how we use data to create a customized and enjoyable VR experience. In the updated Terms of Service you'll find more detailed information about our Oculus services, how we provide those services, and the code of conduct we expect and will require Oculus users to follow.

You can learn more by reading the updated Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which will apply to everyone with an Oculus account as of May 20, 2018. We hope you'll continue to use our services, but if you don't want these terms to apply to you, you may delete your account by contacting customer support.

Got this rather legalistic email from Oculus today. Was this perchance in response to the recent Zuckerberg/Oculus senate hearing?

And it’s nice how they say if you don’t like it, you can just delete your whole account. Like it or lump it, I guess. 

And what’s this about a “code of conduct we expect and will require Oculus users to follow?” You mean in order to use the product that I BOUGHT in order to play games I have to agree to some nebulous code of conduct?? Shoot those zombies fairly and in good taste OR ELSE???

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,691 Valuable Player
    "You mean in order to use the product that I BOUGHT"

You bought the right to use it and you had to agree to the ToS before installing it. You did not buy the Intellectual Property rights to the Product itself. Typing the word "bought" in all CAPS doesn't change that fact.

The last 2 thread about this topic ended up either "closed" or "sunk." Something tells me that a 3rd time won't be a charm.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 902
    3Jane
    Well I don’t know about the last two threads on this topic. All I know is that I got the privacy email today, and when I booted up Oculus tonight I noticed a rather prominent  message about it. So it seems to be a rather timely topic, if you ask me. 
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 780
    3Jane
    There isn't anything interesting in there anyways. It collects data on your computer hardware (e.g. CPU, GPU, RAM...) and how big your play area is. None of that is particularly interesting from a snooping standpoint, it's stuff game designers want to know so they know what kind of hardware to design their games for. It isn't like slapping your phone number into facebook. They also store your friends list, because obviously they have to in order to create a friends list in the first place. The store records what you've bought, because obviously that's how a store works. As far as privacy policies go, it's about as boring, benign and uninteresting as they come.
    3Jane
    So much ado about nothing??
     :# 
    Well I don’t know about the last two threads on this topic.

You were quite vocal in both. Regardless, I posted this news earlier in the "sunken" topic:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/605154/#Comment_605154

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,840 Valuable Player
    These types of emails I just mark as junk and delete them without reading them. It’s all the same bull crap. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,724
    3Jane
    It tells me that they are an American Company which use an Irish Head Office for their legal Terms and they give us the option to abide by their terms of use whatever they are we don't know. Can they kick us off and delete our accounts we don't know. We get the option is all I see plus it basically is following Legal Transparency to tell us they are on a "Tax Dodge" as we call it globally meaning they pay a lower Taxes for their Products. Software is sold with own countries Tax accordingly. At least some lucky people get jobs whilst the company reaps heaps of profits they save in tax above other small businesses which hopefully goes into a much better higher tech and even more affordable product.
    I choose to use my own countries tax to provide roads and services which I need to live in my country but there you go ;)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,180 Volunteer Moderator
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    they give us the option to abide by their terms of use whatever they are we don't know.
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Can they kick us off and delete our accounts we don't know.
    If you want to know what they are, why not just read them? They emailed you a link.

The interesting thing I've noticed in the new terms of service: Oculus is using the term XR to refer to virtual, augmented and mixed reality.
    immerse yourself in virtual, augmented and mixed-reality (collectively, "XR") worlds and obtain services related to our products. We use the data that we have to provide you with these products and to enhance the XR ecosystem

3Jane
    Read and no further forward really. The way people talk and behave to make friends is usually relaxed in any normal manner but who is to say someone will be offended and is simply trolling for kicks? What countries laws are we under here: America; Ireland; or our own which is contradicting across each? 
    You see, the comedian Stephen Fry was charged 25,000 Euros with blasphemy in Ireland when he said in an interview on TV he did not believe in God when asked about the subject. It was a trap situation he got off from in the end yet caused him severe stress. So I really do not see these terms being in the real world nor used in any argument when any User can simply log off from anything they do not like. Defamatory huh? From a simple meeting over the internet really? Bloody hell. I never said Facebook was crap never! The list goes on...
    3Jane
    I don’t like vague codes of conduct on internet sites. I don’t like politically biased terms like “hate speech,” which are usually misapplied to speech one side of the aisle that the other doesn’t like. I don’t want Facebook telling you what kinds of topics you can talk about if you create a private room in Facebook Spaces. 

Apple claims to ban “hate speech,” yet look at the lyrics in some of the rap songs on the iTunes Store. What they mean by “hate speech” is not songs about raping women but Civil War games that show the Confederate flag.

If a private baker is forced by the government to bake a wedding cake then Twitter or Facebook can’t arbitrarily kick out people or discussions they don’t like. If a bakery has to serve everyone then social media sites have to serve everyone too. Simple as that. 
  • Rx4speedRx4speed Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    Well, I'll be upgrading to a new headset eventually, and this email pushed my button big time.  100% that I don't pay Oculus for the RIGHT to use their equipment when I buy a new device.  These tech companies are run by children, and the last line of that email looks like a 12-year-old girl wrote it.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,725 Valuable Player
    Don't worry about it bruh, all it says is everything you do or say will be in Cambridge by now "but there's nowt to worry about".

Oh and it thanks you for the videos...

https://uploadvr.com/hackable-webcam-oculus-sensor-be-aware/

:D 
  • kilobulbkilobulb Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    edited April 2018

You can learn more by reading the updated Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which will apply to everyone with an Oculus account as of May 20, 2018. We hope you'll continue to use our services, but if you don't want these terms to apply to you, you may delete your account by contacting customer support.

If someone deletes their account are they left with a functioning rift?

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 617
    Neo
    edited April 2018
    kilobulb said:

From reading the new T&C's I think not, If you delete your account all of your software goes with it!

If I misread that I am happy to be corrected.

Incidentally, has anyone tried to access this forum with Ghostery installed in their browser?  Impossible for me to log in without allowing trackers on the site...   Now wondering what may happen if I re-enable my Flash Cookie killer :p
    (I deactivated my FB account when the 'persistent cookie' clause was published - known as a Flash cookie to you & me)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,416 Valuable Player
    I wish I had a persistent cookie. I love the things.

:cookie:

Nom nom nom!!!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited April 2018
    Apple claims to ban “hate speech,” yet look at the lyrics in some of the rap songs on the iTunes Store. What they mean by “hate speech” is not songs about raping women but Civil War games that show the Confederate flag.

Nice, hate speech there. Very strong racist connotations in that statement.

While the term 'hate speech' can be used dangerously, I do not feel that Zuckerberg is using it in that manner. From what I've seen, Zuckerberg and Facebook are using it to identify the type of dialogue that is very clearly meant to openly incite strong prejudice against a particular culture. Much like what you tend to do on this forum. I can understand why you are opposed to it.

The irony here is that folks like you are the reason we need these types of policies.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,840 Valuable Player
    kilobulb said:

You can still use it t with Steam 
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:

Nice, hate speech there. Very strong racist connotations in that statement.

To me, the real “racist” is the one who sees phantom racism everywhere. You’re the one who thought the term “black church” was a racial slur.
    Rather than being mad at you I merely find you amusing. 
    3Jane

Digikid1 said:
    kilobulb said:

You can still use it t with Steam 

‘This is a case of Oculus/ Farcebook changing their rules midstream, and if we don’t like it, we can just brick our hardware/game purchases. This is what the Farcebook Senate hearings were all about. And we as Oculus users have the right to be hopping mad about this. 
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,747 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    These types of emails I just mark as junk and delete them without reading them. It’s all the same bull crap. 

Yeah, that's what I do.  You don't need to read all that crap to know it means "If you don't agree, you can't play with your toys that require our playground to work"

Had I read it I would have wondered how they were going to police the community.  That's a big task, so what are they going to do?  Leave it to the honor system with reports, or are they going to ruin everything and try to setup bots to do it?  So does that mean if they decide you were too mean to someone in multiplayer, they can actually ban your use of the Rift so that if you even want to just use it on steam you can't since it always needs to actually load and connect to Oculus in order to even run Steam games?

It's a shame that our world really is turning into the mockery the Simpsons made of the Itchy and Scratchy show that was effected by Political correctness to the point that it was ruined because all they'd do was visit each other on the porch and drink lemonade and that was the entire episode....
    3Jane
    edited April 2018
    Bearing in mind that these Terms are to create a controlled environment for all users, it is more like a prep school than a prep school with how we must behave (very condescending!) and the main User base is ofcourse those who can AFFORD IT. Are there parents here whom bought a Gaming VR computer and Oculus to enjoy? If so then you spoilt them so you don't count! Are there any kids here who bought their own? If you did then you are spoilt so you don't count. Are there any adults here who love the development of graphics and can afford to buy a Gaming VR system as their hobby? Oh, all of you - ok.
    Then why are these terms used to control us as children yet use the force of the law if shit happens!!!

( please remember, Racism and Terrorism are not prohibited - because there is no such except in hysteria )
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    I don't want to read through legalese. Could someone point to me all the things they can track you on, as per their TOS?

I don't mind information about my playspace and what I've bought being sent to them.
    I don't care if they know what components compose my computer.

But uh, if it involves third party apps, and all the applications currently on my computer, as is the case with Steam's Hardware survey, then that's another matter entirely.

I am very much hoping nothing happens to involve sensor firmware or software, to make it act more like the camera that it is.

I am very much hoping not everything I say through the Rift Microphone is bloody logged.

As for the thing with the Camera, well, would you want somebody to see you fiddle yer' diddle because the camera just happened to be required for you to do so to the particular software you're using?

And telling me that they couldn't recognize you is moot, as when you take off your headset, the sensors stay on for a little bit.

I don't want any of this.
    All I wanted was a bloody firmware plug&play driver that would let me run whatever software could actually run the thing,
    as is the case with printers  :/
    edited April 2018

To me, the real “racist” is the one who sees phantom racism everywhere. You’re the one who thought the term “black church” was a racial slur.
    Rather than being mad at you I merely find you amusing. 

I just recognize speech with racist connotations, and I know enough about you through your posts on this forum to understand your nature. I don't get mad either, I merely find you to be compensating for something.

You suggested that Rap music supports the raping of women. You also compared it to the Confederate Flag. Personally I have never heard a rap song that promotes such a thing. However, it's good to note that there are multiple music genres from multiple cultures that talk about all sorts of "hateful things," and there is more than one race who makes rap music.

You are not comparing Apples-to-Apples when you compare rap music to the Confederate Flag. And that comparison is not an original thought at all; it's the same rhetoric that has been used, historically, to promote racism.

Besides, by your own definition of racism (one who sees phantom racism everywhere) you very much qualify based on your own words in the past:
    "I can name many things that Hillary and Obama have done that can be called 'racist.' "

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/438360/#Comment_438360

You see it everywhere yourself.
    ;)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,416 Valuable Player
    falken76 said:
    Digikid1 said:

Yeah, that's what I do.  You don't need to read all that crap to know it means "If you don't agree, you can't play with your toys that require our playground to work"

Had I read it I would have wondered how they were going to police the community.  That's a big task, so what are they going to do?  Leave it to the honor system with reports, or are they going to ruin everything and try to setup bots to do it?  So does that mean if they decide you were too mean to someone in multiplayer, they can actually ban your use of the Rift so that if you even want to just use it on steam you can't since it always needs to actually load and connect to Oculus in order to even run Steam games?

It's a shame that our world really is turning into the mockery the Simpsons made of the Itchy and Scratchy show that was effected by Political correctness to the point that it was ruined because all they'd do was visit each other on the porch and drink lemonade and that was the entire episode....

Unfortunately it's this having this Politically Correct nonsense rammed down our throats since the 90s that's causing Far Right politicians getting voted into power in some parts of Europe. People are fed up with it.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    3Jane
    edited April 2018
    Zenbane said:

"I can name many things that Hillary and Obama have done that can be called 'racist.' "

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/438360/#Comment_438360

You see it everywhere yourself.
    ;)

No, I don’t see it “everywhere,” I see it in things Hillary and Obama have done. That’s not “everywhere.” You need to look up the definitions of some basic words. And just because you’re not familiar with the existence of vile, mysogynistic rap lyrics doesn’t mean they don’t exist. It just means you’re ignorant.  

https://www.elitedaily.com/music/music-news/the-20-most-misogynist-lines-in-rap-history
    edited April 2018
    snowdog said:
    Unfortunately it's this having this Politically Correct nonsense rammed down our throats since the 90s that's causing Far Right politicians getting voted into power in some parts of Europe. People are fed up with it.

I have always found "political correctness" to be an enemy of free-thinking. Heck, I've been banned from many forums many times due to my dedication to the polar opposite of political correctness.

Unfortunately there are those who simply take it too far because they forget the "thinking" part in "free-thinking."

To speak plainly: I am not a fan of political correctness, but I am a fan of muting individuals who have proven too idiotic to participate.

Take any major place of business as a fine example. Most organization's have a Human Resources department with policies to match. Policies that dictate things such as: While you can disagree with your co-workers, you cannot physically attack them nor verbally threaten their life.

Why do organization's worldwide need to write down a policy to address something like this? It's the same reason organization's need to put a "Do Not Swallow" label on visibly harmful products such as Bleach and actual Poison.

Updates such as the Oculus Privacy Policy are the proverbial "harmful if swallowed" label. And anyone who gets offended by such a policy is probably the type of person who would drink the Bleach or eat the Poison Pellets. Na' mean?

edited April 2018
    cybernettr said:No, I don’t see it “everywhere,” I see it in things Hillary and Obama have done. That’s not “everywhere.” You need to look up the definitions of some basic words.

I don't see it everywhere either, I only see it with the things you've said on this forum. Perhaps take a closer look at the dictionary terms yourself.

cybernettr said:
    And just because you’re not familiar with the existence of vile, mysogynistic rap lyrics doesn’t mean they don’t exist. It just means you’re ignorant.  

https://www.elitedaily.com/music/music-news/the-20-most-misogynist-lines-in-rap-history

You said that the rap lyrics promote rape, yet all you did was link to something that quotes lyrics talking about sex in a crude way. If you think that being "crude about sex" directly equates to "promoting rape" then I believe you're the one who is ignorant.

There are VR Porn sites linked on this forum that are 100% more crude than any of the lyrics you linked to lol

And even if you did find such a rap lyric that is available on iTunes, it is still immensely ignorant to compare that to the Confederate flag.
    3Jane
    We should seriously be asking and getting answers from OCULUS here (reason why the Forum connects us to them)...
    1. What does happen if a User does infringe the Terms Of Use?
    2. How Does Action Get Reported?
    I would hate for VR Multiplayer to become another game of grassing up on Users by entrapment (as seen lots here) only to abuse it to get Bans (as seen on many Forums). That is a Trolling Game!
    Else, the Terms are a mere guidance to promote good use with others which is what we all want only not condescending as children.
    3. More importantly (remember the DELL computer Terms Of Use for not used for WMD?!) we must all be able to and expected to report weird and worrying behaviour which could be leaning towards Terrorist activities (e.g. my previous example if you see someone repeatedly crash passenger planes into land marks as in 911 attacks). Such actions must provide video proof to prevent trolling for investigations.

Also, while @cybernettr is whining about rap lyrics on iTunes, check out these lyrics from another song available on iTunes that literally uses the word "rape"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-bleeding/193562544
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:

You said that the rap lyrics promote rape, yet all you did was link to something that quotes lyrics talking about sex in a crude way. If you think that being "crude about sex" directly equates to "promoting rape" then I believe you're the one who is ignorant.

Nice straw man there, but I never used the phrase “promoting rape.” My exact quote was, “What they [Apple] mean by “hate speech” is not songs about raping women but Civil War games that show the Confederate flag.

Whether they “promote rape” is not something I got into. I was merely referring to the hypocrisy and double standards of the big tech companies.