New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can we please have an option to disable the mouse cursor in Dash.

CylonSurferCylonSurfer Posts: 120
Art3mis
The mouse cursor is extremely distracting - can we please have an option to disable it and return to Dash's original pointing method, i.e. the blue dot.

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,377 Valuable Player
    Are you kidding? :o

Can  we please have a way to show the mouse cursor when using Dash in desktop mode? :p

Thanks! :)

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The mouse cursor should be shown on the latest version. If you want to request more options, please post here:
    https://riftcorebeta.uservoice.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited April 2018
    I don't know if it shows on the desktop, but when playing a game using desktop mode, there is no mouse cursor - it's not a biggie, I just lift my Rift and do my mousing on the monitor, then carry on.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    It’s awesome that we have it. 
  • CylonSurferCylonSurfer Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    Digikid1 said:
    It’s awesome that we have it. 
    I disagree - there needs to be an option to disable it. It essentially turns it from being touch screen emulation to some wierd hybrid touchscreen / standard mouse mode that both looks awful and doesn't work as well due to the cursor not lining up with the blue dot from your finger is pointing. It is both confusing and takes away the clean look of any touch type app you are using on your desktop. The keyboard is particularly bad to use with the cursor showing as are apps where your clicking on smaller buttons. It should be an option for those that feel they need it and disablable for those who do not need to see a cursor nor want to see a cursor.

Want some cheese to go with that whine?  If you don’t like it then use another virtual desktop program. Simple as that. 
    An option to switch it on/off sounds very reasonable to me.

Art3mis
    edited April 2018
    Digikid1 said:

Want some cheese to go with that whine?  If you don’t like it then use another virtual desktop program. Simple as that. 
    Its Dash, not a virtual desktop program - there is no alternative. It is an entirely reasonable request no need for the above at all.

It's also not a whine - its an observation, a request and the reasoning behind it. Maybe you are childish to know the difference.
    Watch it bub. I am in my fifties and know when someone is whining. Making two threads about the same thing is whining. Pure and simple. 

As I said in the other thread no it is not unreasonable to REQUEST a feature but you are not requesting....you are DEMANDING it. Huge difference there kiddo. 

You had your say....now wait patiently and see what happens. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,815 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018

Just a reminder that you can provide suggestions (and bug reports) for Dash, the desktop app, Home and Store at the site below.

https://riftcorebeta.uservoice.com/

There's a voting system in place but I don't think suggestions are implemented based solely on votes, they're probably individually assessed with voting playing a part. Anyway, it's probably a good place to make your suggestions without prejudice or risk of arguments ensuing!

I've made a number of suggestions and bug reports and some seem to be implemented... probably by coincidence but it makes me feel good to think they're being read.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
    Art3mis
    edited April 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    Watch it bub. I am in my fifties and know when someone is whining. Making two threads about the same thing is whining. Pure and simple. 

As I said in the other thread no it is not unreasonable to REQUEST a feature but you are not requesting....you are DEMANDING it. Huge difference there kiddo. 

You had your say....now wait patiently and see what happens.
    Two threads about the same thing? I guess being in your 50's maybe you need your eyes checking? One thread asking if there was an option somewhere to disable the mouse cursor and then this one asking for an option to disable it on the basis that there isn't such an option. Similar, I grant you but not the same.

Kiddo? I aint no kid bud. You're not a mod here and your age makes no difference to me nor does it hold any relevance to this discussion. Did you want a badge or something? Any way I'll just ignore your grumpy old ass :) have a good one!
    Hey now....

My arse is great!  
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    To be fair, I agree with the feedback. Having the virtual mouse cursor and the blue dot at the same time is kind of a busy design. I like the cursor, but maybe the dot should disappear on desktop windows. In any case, I agree that it should be an option. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,132
    Wintermute
    That's don't need to be an option : You move your mouse? Mouse cursor should be ON. You don't move your mouse but use Touch? Blue dot and no mouse icon. It should be easy to manage that automatically on program side (IMHO of developer). An option will be uncomfortable when you want to switch often from mouse to Touch depending use of Dash.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 247
    Nexus 6
    YoLolo69 said:
    That's don't need to be an option : You move your mouse? Mouse cursor should be ON. You don't move your mouse but use Touch? Blue dot and no mouse icon. It should be easy to manage that automatically on program side (IMHO of developer). An option will be uncomfortable when you want to switch often from mouse to Touch depending use of Dash.
    This

Use the mouse, see a mouse cursor
    Use TC, see the dot

Like GTA5: use the controller and the prompts show controller; switch to K&M and the prompts automatically switch.
    Art3mis
    Digikid1 said:
    Hey now....

My arse is great! 
    :) haha so I've heard!
    Digikid1 said:
    Hey now....

My arse is great! 
    :) haha so I've heard!
    LOL. That went way over your head. Hint: I have a small farm.  :D
    Art3mis
    YoLolo69 said:
    This seems like a very sensible and elegent solution.

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    I noticed there is a bug with the pointer when using a 4k monitor. For a while now my pointer has displayed as a glitchy mess, i did not know the cause till by chance i had my 4k on a lower resolution (1080p) & i noticed dash adds its own pointer & this is what was displaying as a glitch over the windows pointer when in 4k. 
    Did anyone find a way to disable the pointer as i have put up with using this glitchy Oculus pointer for months? 
  • abiderabider Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Some people like it and some doesn't. Its not that big of a issue.
  • oxygensoxygens Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    When watching netflix (browser) or movies (vlc, media player) in dash virtual desktop the netflix seek bar is shown non-stop because of mouse move events.

There really needs to be a way to disable the mouse move events for the screen area of the virtual desktop (not anywhere else).

A simple button visible only when in virtual desktop should do.