cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

DiabloBorracho
Honored Guest
I just got the Rift a week ago.  Of course, when I invite people over to play games I get the Black screen bug and have to reboot 3 times to get Project Cars 2 working.

Sometimes I can get the rift display to turn on by just closing the Oculus program, waiting for my screens to blink (Lets me know the HDMI to the RIFT was removed from the display connections) and then click the oculus program open again.  Last two days, odds were about 20-30% of closing/opening Oculus to get the screen to turn on.

Today, I had the screen turn "half on" with cycling the oculus program.  White bar through the middle od bother eyes, and but the  start area with tracking on either side actually displayed.  I reset oculus program again, and it went back to black screens.

Win10 64, Intel i7-6850K, 16GB RAM, 2x 1080Ti-SLI

Gabkicks
Explorer
i just installed the latest nvidia drivers and now i am having no video getting to my rift again 😞 i tried restarting and still nothing

vanilla nonbeta rift software works so i will use that

Oculus rift DK2, 4790k, R9 290 crossfire disabled, 16gb DDR3 1866, Windows 10 64-bit, 2 monitors.

DiabloBorracho
Honored Guest
I just updated Nividia Drivers to 397.31.  I'm still getting a blank screen on re-open.  And right now I just got my display to be split with a black bar down the middle of each Eye.

I'm in the lobby, and the black bar takes up half the view, right down the middle from top to bottom.  The bottom has a white bar that bleeds greenish as it transitions to black.  Probably an artifact of the lens refraction but unsure.  The view on each side of the black bar is a projection as though the black bars don't exist.  The black bar doesn't block the view, it splits it.  Eye tracking still works, and I'm getting the lobby crickets.  Resetting the view from the menu options does nothing to fix it.

2 more restarts and it worked again.  I'm at about 20% odds of the screen working on oculus program restart.

danknugz
Superstar
sinple qustion:

is it “safe” to update to the latest nvidia drivers?

@cybereality
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder if even the Update is working as intended, either by MS Update Driver in Device Settings, using the full Setup package, or using Experience to do it.
Myself have no issues but did use DDU to get back from 388.59 to 384.94 after already performing a Rollback from the latest 391.35
I had glitch issues when I ran my overclock/fan monitor program with E:D in Stations. No issues without it on GTX1080 (old 970 needed it to start fans in games else crashed from heat) and old driver has less drops too. I could probably try the latest driver again as had worked before but I like to use PD=2 and that does require over 4k cpu power and so when the frames get around 25fps it will glitch again. Therefore I run my Tasks efficiently as possible. No Cortana (reg hack & renamed); VoiceAttack no plugins; no Nvidia Audio/3D/Experience/Update but only Driver and the PhysX which is not used really either. If your cpu can handle the added gpu effects then go for it.

cybereality
Grand Champion
@danknugz As far as I am aware, the specific Nvidia driver issue was fixed (it had to do with the HDCP connection being lost, which would cause a black screen). I'm running the latest Nvidia driver on 2 machines and it works. However, there are other causes for black screens. The most popular one has to do with the RiftDisplay.inf driver being blocked or uninstalled somehow. I have instructions to reinstall it earlier in this thread. And there could be other reasons too. In any case, if you experience a black screen, please submit a bug report in the Help Center of the Oculus app. It's in the lower left corner, then click Provide Feedback. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

danknugz
Superstar
ok, havent decided if in going to update yet, things work fine for the most part on 388.79
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

EddieChristian
Protege
GTX 1080 Latest Drivers cause Errors and Black Screen

pecocus
Protege
I've installed the latest drivers with my GTX 1080 and everything is working flawlessly.  Having said that, I've been one of the lucky ones that hasn't had the black screen issue.  I don't think it's the Nvidia driver causing the issue for the folks still having problems.

HiThere_
Superstar
I had a black screen that was followed by my first time ever "HDMI problem" Oculus Store notification.

So as others have said be aware that in some cases you might be having a cable problem instead of a software problem, that can (or can't) be ~fixed just by twitching the CV1's cable, and aiming to put less cable pressure on the PC's HDMI connector.

If you can borrow a CV1 cable from a friend to confirm if you have a cable problem, that's even better.