cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Prices set to return to normal sooner than later

LZoltowski
Champion
Great NEWS!

"According to Digitimes, Taiwan-based graphics card makers Gigabyte Technology, Micro-Star International (MSI) and TUL (PowerColor) expect to see April shipments drop by about 40%. “Channel distributors and larger mining farm operators have cut orders with makers of mining graphics cards and mining motherboards or asked them to suspend shipments due to the crypto mining craze waning abruptly from the beginning of April”, one of their sources said."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2018/04/27/gpu-makers-poised-for-massive-drop-in-shipme...
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
50 REPLIES 50

bigmike20vt
Visionary
They are already back at RRP which is ok I guess. That said normally I would be expecting less than RRP by now this late in the product cycle
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

They are already back at RRP which is ok I guess. That said normally I would be expecting less than RRP by now this late in the product cycle

Yeah, 11 series is just around the corner, I wouldn't be surprised if you will be able to snag a 1080ti for £499 in a few months.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I doubt retailers are going to just drop the prices back to pre mining days as long as miners are still paying whatever for the hardware, most of the UK online is still hoovering around the usual high price for GPU's, i think their lowest gtx1080 is £490, and i doubt we will see them drop in any great amount, maybe when the 11 series come sout the GTX1070 might take a dive simply due to miners moving to better faster hardware,....but at present they are still just silly.......and yes, i bought a GTX1080 for £470 before Xmas because i am complete twat, talk about buyer remorse. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
1080 for £470? That's not a bad price it's less than RRP I think. I *almost* bit a few weeks back for an inno3D X2 1080ti for £630. I am still undecided if I regret not getting it....
The thing is the 1080ti is not a 4k capable gpu that you can just pick ultra for everything and not worry about performance. In all honesty I doubt the 1180 will be either but I can't wait till the 1180ti as am getting upgradeitis after having the same GPU since Nov 2014
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not really to worried about 4k - I don't have a 4k monitor and am not planning on getting one anytime soon. But if the 1070 takes a dive I may upgrade to that depending on the price of the 1170.

My 970 is still going strong and has been able to keep up with either ultra settings or very high settings in 1080p for most games I have purchased over the last year (FC5, the new Wolfenstein game, Watch Dogs 2, etc.). So I have no problem being in the mid-tier of graphics card.

The only reason I want to upgrade is for better VR, lol

LZoltowski
Champion
I oversample with my 1080, so 4k res on a 1080p monitor, makes a huge difference in texture clarity

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does it really make that much of a difference? I have turned it on a few times in games and I can never really tell if I am just imagining a clarity boost or if it is actually there - mind you on most games it cooks my 970 and the game is pretty much unplayable. lol

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I was very happy with my 970, before and after VR. I only upgraded because of the required spec given for the then fast approaching DCS World 2.5. So I got a 1060 6GB. I don't see any improvement really, in VR, but it did do a good job with 2D games. Worst thing being, once 2.5 was out and ran so poorly on the previously recommended systems that they changed the spec to requiring a 1080Ti, which has pissed me off so much that I ditched DCS on the spot.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Hopefully none of the miners are cancelling their orders because they're now waiting for the imminent 11 series.
It sounds like it's down to the Bitcoin market so fingers crossed... I may be able to afford to finish putting together that living room PC I promised myself, study is too small for VR