cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Prices set to return to normal sooner than later

LZoltowski
Champion
Great NEWS!

"According to Digitimes, Taiwan-based graphics card makers Gigabyte Technology, Micro-Star International (MSI) and TUL (PowerColor) expect to see April shipments drop by about 40%. “Channel distributors and larger mining farm operators have cut orders with makers of mining graphics cards and mining motherboards or asked them to suspend shipments due to the crypto mining craze waning abruptly from the beginning of April”, one of their sources said."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2018/04/27/gpu-makers-poised-for-massive-drop-in-shipme...
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
50 REPLIES 50

LZoltowski
Champion

Hopefully none of the miners are cancelling their orders because they're now waiting for the imminent 11 series.
It sounds like it's down to the Bitcoin market so fingers crossed... I may be able to afford to finish putting together that living room PC I promised myself, study is too small for VR

The 1080 is now at MSRP of £499 a Ti for a bargain £640

Same Ti was £1000 3 months ago
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

It's tempting  LZ, I'm waiting for the 1180, suppose I should wait for 1180ti but the wait's getting tough

LZoltowski
Champion

It's tempting  LZ, I'm waiting for the 1180, suppose I should wait for 1180ti but the wait's getting tough

Yup, im holding out on the 11 series too!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcASV2sey0

Be kind to one another 🙂

I'm sitting with friends and nearly played that out loud.

LZoltowski
Champion

DO IT! It's a classic!

Be kind to one another 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Hopefully none of the miners are cancelling their orders because they're now waiting for the imminent 11 series.
It sounds like it's down to the Bitcoin market so fingers crossed... I may be able to afford to finish putting together that living room PC I promised myself, study is too small for VR

The 1080 is now at MSRP of £499 a Ti for a bargain £640

Same Ti was £1000 3 months ago

Do you know where has stock at 640? The inno3d @teckshop has now gone up
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

DO IT! It's a classic!

There are some songs that hairy arsed engineers can't admit to liking

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to stick with my 1080 for a few more years I think. The next wad of cash I'm planning on spending is on a Yaw VR motion simulator if they end up being good. Going to need to save up though because they're 1100 notes on their website if I'm remembering correctly. They're trying to get more investors which will mean they can manufacture them in China instead of Hungary which should knock 2 or 3 hundred quid off I think.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

1080 for £470? That's not a bad price it's less than RRP I think. I *almost* bit a few weeks back for an inno3D X2 1080ti for £630. I am still undecided if I regret not getting it....
The thing is the 1080ti is not a 4k capable gpu that you can just pick ultra for everything and not worry about performance. In all honesty I doubt the 1180 will be either but I can't wait till the 1180ti as am getting upgradeitis after having the same GPU since Nov 2014

That £470 was a 1 hour sale only and they only had three going, normal price was £599. lol

I thought i was grabbing a bargain but buyers remorse soon appeared, i am still on the fence as to just sticking it up on ebay and get  at least close to my money back, and sticking my GTX970 back in, that was working fine and i only have a 1080p monitor anyway, yes the extra power did help somewhwt with some VR games, but to be honest W10, Steam and Rift updates just seem to be constantly breaking it one way or another when i do get it working the way i want it. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

OmegaM4N said:

I doubt retailers are going to just drop the prices back to pre mining days as long as miners are still paying whatever for the hardware, most of the UK online is still hoovering around the usual high price for GPU's, i think their lowest gtx1080 is £490, and i doubt we will see them drop in any great amount, maybe when the 11 series come sout the GTX1070 might take a dive simply due to miners moving to better faster hardware,....but at present they are still just silly.......and yes, i bought a GTX1080 for £470 before Xmas because i am complete twat, talk about buyer remorse. lol

Miners stopped buying GPU's 3 months ago. In fact, ebay is currently flooded with used mining cards as miners are trying to dump them.

In any case, prices are probably as low now as they are going to be on the retail side. I went into Fry's the other day and they were still trying to sell off GTX 750's at their MSRP from 5 years ago. Eventually they'll unload them all on idiots who just buy whatever is on the shelf that day at whatever the price is. Same will happen with the GTX 10xx series. Prices won't go down any further due to memory pricing. Gamer's Nexus made a video the other day on this. Cards like the RX 580 and GTX 1060 have around a third of their retail price just going to the VRAM manufacturers. Throw in the rest of the GPU, the middle men and the retailers and the end result is the cards just can't be sold for any less than they already are. This is why it's reasonably well accepted that the GTX 11xx series will feature a sizable price bump over the 10xx series MSRP's. AMD's upcoming 7nm Vega chips will likely do the same.