cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Prices set to return to normal sooner than later

LZoltowski
Champion
Great NEWS!

"According to Digitimes, Taiwan-based graphics card makers Gigabyte Technology, Micro-Star International (MSI) and TUL (PowerColor) expect to see April shipments drop by about 40%. “Channel distributors and larger mining farm operators have cut orders with makers of mining graphics cards and mining motherboards or asked them to suspend shipments due to the crypto mining craze waning abruptly from the beginning of April”, one of their sources said."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2018/04/27/gpu-makers-poised-for-massive-drop-in-shipme...
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
50 REPLIES 50

nalex66
MVP
MVP
just had a look at NewEgg out of curiosity. The actually have stock of a variety of GTX 1080s, at somewhat reasonable prices--they're in the same range that I paid for mine 2 years ago, so they're still high compared to where they should be after this much time has passed. (Actually, didn't the 1080s get a price cut when the 1080Ti released?)

Anyway, glad I grabbed my 1080 when I did. We'll see what the new line-up of cards is like soon, but at this point I don't foresee any need to upgrade for quite a while yet.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Evileyes
Rising Star

I am tempted to squeeze the trigger on a 1080 ti, but I question myself on how much of a increase it will be. dburne, is the performance worth the cost?

My instinct is telling me to wait for the new chipset, and perhaps the "ti" version of the new chipset so it will future proof my system for a while.

i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I have a 1080 TI and it runs pretty much everything maxed out at a locked 90 fps when paired with the i7-8700k (DCS and IL2 being big exceptions). However, I wouldn't buy one right now. The MSRP on a basic model is around $700 but the cheapest on newegg is $1000 USD. Other cards are closer to MSRP though. The 1070 and 1070 TI are less than $100 over MSRP, with the 1070 TI being the current deal ($520 retail, MSRP $480 I think). The 1080 is at $600 but has an MSRP of $500.

The AMD side is still an absolute mess in pricing as they are vastly superior mining cards. Nobody is buying them for mining at this point, but the prices jumped a lot higher for them and so they are taking longer to fall back to normal.

As for waiting, depending on what you have, waiting for the 1180 may make sense. The rumor mill suggests it will roughly match the 1080 TI in gaming performance (same # of CUDA cores, similar clock speeds, same architecture), so it's mostly a matter of price. With the 1080 TI's still heavily inflated, it is entirely possible that simply waiting 2 months will save you $300-$400 USD. Nvidia won't release the 1180 TI till this time next year if the keep the same pattern they've followed for the past few generations.

LZoltowski
Champion

nalex66 said:

just had a look at NewEgg out of curiosity. The actually have stock of a variety of GTX 1080s, at somewhat reasonable prices--they're in the same range that I paid for mine 2 years ago, so they're still high compared to where they should be after this much time has passed. (Actually, didn't the 1080s get a price cut when the 1080Ti released?)

Anyway, glad I grabbed my 1080 when I did. We'll see what the new line-up of cards is like soon, but at this point I don't foresee any need to upgrade for quite a while yet.

1080 is at £499 which is Nvidia's MSRP after the 1080Ti £100 price drop, so they are at their bare minimus now.

GPU prices don't go down during the length of the current architecture usually, they can hit min MSRP but that's about it .. they usually only drop when the next generation comes out. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, I'm seeing the EVGA 1080 SC for a few bucks more than I paid two years ago, so no price drop from the Ti release is reflected in the current asking price, but still, a better situation than it's been lately.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

danknugz
Superstar
i really hope this is true, 980ti still works fine but starting to show its age, get some stutter in cities in ETS2 and  sone dropped frames in forza7 with heavy rain/thunder
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evileyes said:

I am tempted to squeeze the trigger on a 1080 ti, but I question myself on how much of a increase it will be. dburne, is the performance worth the cost?

My instinct is telling me to wait for the new chipset, and perhaps the "ti" version of the new chipset so it will future proof my system for a while.

It was for me as most of my VR gaming is in combat flight sims. I went from a 1080 to a 1080 Ti and that even helped.

As Beasty said though it may make sense now at this juncture to hold off for the 1100 series of cards unless you desperately need it now.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I oversample with my 1080, so 4k res on a 1080p monitor, makes a huge difference in texture clarity

@LZoltowski - Here's the thing that I can't get my head around. Lots of people say that 4k is a waste of time unless you are gaming on something bigger then a 42" screen. Because you don't notice that much of difference between 1080p and 4k on a 27 inch monitor.. 

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Lots of people say anything above 30 fps in gaming is a waste, including nearly the entire console industry. All it shows is lots of people are wrong. 😛

Digikid1
Consultant

RedRizla said:

I oversample with my 1080, so 4k res on a 1080p monitor, makes a huge difference in texture clarity

@LZoltowski - Here's the thing that I can't get my head around. Lots of people say that 4k is a waste of time unless you are gaming on something bigger then a 42" screen. Because you don't notice that much of difference between 1080p and 4k on a 27 inch monitor.. 

50 inches actually.