cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO Reviews

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
You can read Ben's assessment here.  Kind of negative really, and makes it sound like you would be better off getting a Nintendo Switch. 😞

With few standout apps, and an experience which isn’t appreciably different from what Gear VR has been offering now for several years, Oculus Go’s hardware and ease of use improvements feel like they would have been more alluring in VR’s early days—meanwhile in 2018, Go looks like a tough sell against other compelling portable entertainment devices like Nintendo Switch.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-go-review-standalone-vr-priced-for-the-masses/

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
40 REPLIES 40

LZoltowski
Champion
@Zenbane

adk2w4t5atfc.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Looking at the Tested review, I'm getting excited for CV2....

Reduced God rays

Oculus offering corrective lenses for glasses wearers

Flexible facial interface and with thicker softer looking foam.

All the things I had listed on my wish list for the next headset. Higher res is going to be a given so... this time next year I'll be looking forward to having something very sexy on my face. ahem

Anonymous
Not applicable

A guy on Discord has just got one from best buy, he says that you can actually enjoy watching a movie now compared to the rift, with very little god rays and much crisper image.

That's awesome - however I am able to enjoy watching movies/TV in the Rift with no issues. In fact I believe I am up to 30 movies, and 4 or 5 seasons worth of TV now. I am not sure if it is because of my glasses or not - but I don't really notice the god-rays coming off of text or anything and any glare seems to get directed to the edge of my peripheral vision where it doesn't impede the image on the movie screen. I do notice the SDE sometimes - it kind of reminds me of scan lines on an old TV, I don't mind them to be honest - but it'll be cool when they are eliminated fully though.

But I definitely am looking forward to getting a Go based on the reviews - seems like it will scratch the exact itch I want it to (good VR I can use on my lunch break at work). The talk about killer apps and such - I am only really worried about one app type to be honest (Netflix) as I have already got a Rift to cover everything else.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think they're going to sell a shitload of these things, especially before Christmas. Like the guys from Tested mentioned, $200 puts it in the Christmas/birthday gift category and well as in impulse-buy territory.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'll be looking forward to having something very sexy on my face

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

I must admit my primary concern, which few reviews are mentioning, is
the short battery life. Which may have been forgiveable if it charged
quickly, or if you could use it plugged in. But from what I'm hearing it
takes longer to charge than you get in play time and you're told not to
use it while plugged in. You can't even charge it using a battery pack
while on the go, say while travelling between destinations, because they
said not to use a battery pack.

2.5 hours watching video, not even two films during a flight.

They only say that to protect from damage, I have a high-quality battery pack that will be able to charge this thing twice, never had any issues with any of my devices, as long as it delivers clean steady power, you're good.

Link to said device please. 

EDIT actually I think there needs to be much more user/developer testing with regards to the dangers of plugged in whilst using. Doing so could reduce the effectiveness of the battery or worse, have it overheat and damage the GO or your face. It does seem like an obvious thing to allow use whilst plugged in but Oculus are being cautious for a reason. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

LZoltowski
Champion

I must admit my primary concern, which few reviews are mentioning, is
the short battery life. Which may have been forgiveable if it charged
quickly, or if you could use it plugged in. But from what I'm hearing it
takes longer to charge than you get in play time and you're told not to
use it while plugged in. You can't even charge it using a battery pack
while on the go, say while travelling between destinations, because they
said not to use a battery pack.

2.5 hours watching video, not even two films during a flight.

They only say that to protect from damage, I have a high-quality battery pack that will be able to charge this thing twice, never had any issues with any of my devices, as long as it delivers clean steady power, you're good.

Link to said device please. 

EDIT actually I think there needs to be much more user/developer testing with regards to the dangers of plugged in whilst using. Doing so could reduce the effectiveness of the battery or worse, have it overheat and damage the GO or your face. It does seem like an obvious thing to allow use whilst plugged in but Oculus are being cautious for a reason. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-20100-Capacity-Technology-Black/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie...

Charges an iphone or a macbook with no issues, it has adaptive overvoltage protection and will never feed more power than the device wants to pull.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

this time next year I'll be looking forward to having something very sexy on my face. ahem

Me Too!
Though I doubt mine will happen.
Bring on those seven evil Ex's!
phudfmrh9qye.jpg
WAAAGH!

ShocksVR
Superstar

A guy on Discord has just got one from best buy, he says that you can actually enjoy watching a movie now compared to the rift, with very little god rays and much crisper image.

Ya, God Rays are greatly reduced.  In fact I was able to go into Big Screen using GO and watch some videos with ppl. While the graphical atmosphere of BigScreen is not as impressive as Rift, the screen image of the video was on par but with less god rays.

And I was doing all this while laying back on my couch
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Ya, God Rays are greatly reduced.  In fact I was able to go into Big Screen using GO and watch some videos with ppl. While the graphical atmosphere of BigScreen is not as impressive as Rift, the screen image of the video was on par but with less god rays.

And I was doing all this while laying back on my couch

I didn't even know it was out for Go yet?  Awesome!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3