cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about elite dangerous and xbox controller.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Does anyone have a good setup for the xbox one controller and elite dangerous?
I imagine that is how you play it in vr??

Thanks.

I have a copy but its steam
12 REPLIES 12

Orodreth16
Expert Protege
Hi,

I guess a lot of people, if not most, play this with a HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) setup.
Here you can find the Xbox One default controller layout for Elite (and also suggestions for custom bindings):
https://www.google.de/search?q=elite+dangerous+xbox+one+controls&hl=de&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved...

I haven't tried these because I use a HOTAS but I guess the default scheme should be ok.

o7, commander!

Orodreth16
Expert Protege
sorry, double post.
How do I delete posts?

Mot666
Expert Protege
I found the default 'Advanced Controller' binds in ED to almost be sufficient. I didn't end up using my XB controller long enough with ED to bother with a custom layout. Most notable control missing from the default was lateral thrust in normal flight. I also used a chatpad in case of CMDR coms and for the Galaxy map.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
What is the hotas really like using it in VR?
I am actually thinking about buying one that I will probably only use it once.
Or is there many space games to use it on?
How would hotas work sitting on the couch ??

Orodreth16
Expert Protege
To be honest, I really only use it with Elite: Dangerous.
I have high hopes on Squadron 42, the single player campaign of Star Citizen, and Mechwarrior 5, though.

However, in Elite it's an awesome experience and I think it adds a lot to immersion. It really feels like actually flying a space ship (or at least how I would imagine it 😉 )

I use a Thrustmaster T.16000M and TWCS throttle and it's great. If you prefer something a bit cheaper, I heard the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X is also very good.

Edit: I imagine it to be a bit problematic to use it on the couch without having some solid surface to put it on.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Orodreth86 - I purchased Star Citizen on day one of the Apha. Seriously though when is that game ever going to get finished? I'm really doubtful it is going to be in my life time and I was so looking forward to it..

Orodreth16
Expert Protege
Yeah, I don't know when or if it's getting finished. I didn't buy it, yet, because I don't buy early access stuff. 
So I'm just hoping it will be out someday and that it will be great.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I began E:D upon release with Mouse & Keyboard, added FaceTrackNOIR and VoiceAttack, then last year got the CV1 and it blew me away so I started using my Thrustmaster HOTAS (~£30) and it works incredibly well and very immersive. I can manage to strafe my Conda plus pull Trigger 1 for Beams and fettle Trigger 2 for Canons to keep heat under 100% all simultaneously and avoid getting many hits from kinetics. It's the only way I can ever survive fights now and so won't be going back. I constantly switch pip groups on VoiceAttack and Order my AI Fighter for the best fastest way to start and end a fight without damage nor Shield loss.
The Saitek expensive and overly complicated x52, x55, x56 all have stiff throttles to stay flat on your desk!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@MAC_MAN86 - Which Thrustmaster are you talking about there's a few?