Oculus TrayTool - SuperSampling profiles, HMD disconnect fixes (hopefully) - Page 35 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus TrayTool - SuperSampling profiles, HMD disconnect fixes (hopefully)

Comments

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 214
    Nexus 6

@Netheri ; No, global and profile ss don't "multiply", so in your example you should get 1.8, if the app nativly runs at 1.0.
    If the app nativly runs at anything other than 1.0 you get the multiply effect. So if the app runs at 1.8 and you set 1.8 with ott, the effect should be 1.8x1.8, depending a bit on how the developers of that specific game have done things. Use the Pixel Density overlay after setting a new option to see what you actually get.
    I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing here. At least i meant that if ones Global SS in ott is 1.8 and i.e. some games OTT PROFILE SS is i.e. 1.5, will the games or apps SS then be 1.8(ott global ss)x1.5(OTT game/app profile SS) in the case that games or apps internal (dev set) SS is 1.0. OR does the OTT's game or app profile 1.5 SS overdrive the OTT Global 1.8 SS? And same vice versa, if the OTT Global is 1.5 and the OTT game or app SS is 1.8, does the 1.8 overdrive the 1.5 or will there be 1.5x1.8 multiply (in the case the in-app/game dev set SS is 1.0)?
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash in memoriam
    Nexus 6
    Dracrius said:
    @ApollyonVR I just noticed last night that global ASW is failing to set or at least set to off. I posted on Reddit and a few users have confirmed saying that they can only get ASW disabled by toggling the Global setting after an app has launched. Many of us are also having difficulty getting profiles to trigger. At least for myself it's specifically games I own through steam (both OVR and SteamVR) last I tested Oculus store games trigger fine.
    That's odd. My only Steam app not detected ir SteamVR home but that's ok, as there's the in-steam opportunity to set the SS to 180%. But that sucks if the ASW isn't working unless it's put on during gameplay. :/
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
  • VMaximIVMaximI Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Netheri said:
    Dracrius said:
    @ApollyonVR I just noticed last night that global ASW is failing to set or at least set to off. I posted on Reddit and a few users have confirmed saying that they can only get ASW disabled by toggling the Global setting after an app has launched. Many of us are also having difficulty getting profiles to trigger. At least for myself it's specifically games I own through steam (both OVR and SteamVR) last I tested Oculus store games trigger fine.
    That's odd. My only Steam app not detected ir SteamVR home but that's ok, as there's the in-steam opportunity to set the SS to 180%. But that sucks if the ASW isn't working unless it's put on during gameplay. :/
    I confirm this problem. After starting the application (X-Plane), you have to open the global OTT parameters and manually disable the ASW, even though the default is set to OFF. The oculus home is not started, as it is not required.
  • ApollyonVRApollyonVR Posts: 366
    Trinity
    By default, OTT requires Oculus Home to be running to monitor game launches. This is due to the fact that the monitoring takes a bit of CPU and RAM, which is unnecessary if the games you run require Home anyway. So could you guys try

1) Starting Home first, then the game (OTT need to be running also of course) and see if it works better. If not, let me know and we'll look at it.

2) If it works with Home running, then try going to the Advanced tab in OTT and tick the box for "Don't require Oculus Home to be running". This will start the game monitoring as soon as OTT starts. See if it still works, without Home running this time.

If test 1 works but test 2 does not, it's probably a bug that i need to fix.

@Netheri Profiles override global setting, so they don't multiply. There are cases where the game itself then overrides any setting, in which case one needs to play around with the in-game settings and see if there's a 1.0 or similar setting that should hopefully disable the game from doing any settings itself.

Cheers!
  • DracriusDracrius Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    By default, OTT requires Oculus Home to be running to monitor game launches. This is due to the fact that the monitoring takes a bit of CPU and RAM, which is unnecessary if the games you run require Home anyway. So could you guys try

1) Starting Home first, then the game (OTT need to be running also of course) and see if it works better. If not, let me know and we'll look at it.
    I personally always have Oculus Home running so this is not what is causing my issue with global ASW not working. I'm quite surprised by the number of people that prevent it from launching. I do the opposite, I keep SteamVR's Dashboard and Chaperone disabled. I may be wrong but logically this should gain me a similar level of CPU headroom while not forcibly stopping one of my programs from starting. I also disable UAC the minute a computer starts up for the first time so idk if I could even prevent it from running without turning that back on.
  • VMaximIVMaximI Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 2018

2) If it works with Home running, then try going to the Advanced tab in OTT and tick the box for "Don't require Oculus Home to be running". This will start the game monitoring as soon as OTT starts. See if it still works, without Home running this time.

If test 1 works but test 2 does not, it's probably a bug that i need to fix.

@Netheri Profiles override global setting, so they don't multiply. There are cases where the game itself then overrides any setting, in which case one needs to play around with the in-game settings and see if there's a 1.0 or similar setting that should hopefully disable the game from doing any settings itself.

Cheers!
    I made several experiments:
    1. If you first load OTT, and after oculus home or game (VR), then the ASW is always AUTO, even if in global settings is OFF (After loading the VR, ASW can be set manually OFF.).
    2. If VR is first to boot, and after OTT, everything works correctly.
  • jhoff9001jhoff9001 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Where can I download the latest release? All of the links on the first post are dead.
    Trinity
    @jhoff9001 Works fine now. There's a download button up in the right corner once you reach my dropbox.
    It used to be located right below the text saying it can't be previewed (because it's a xip file) but it seems
    the moved it up there now. Might take a second or two for it to appear.

Cheers!
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    Hi @ApollyonVR

I've been considering more and more that options to prevent Home and Home2 from starting would be wonderful.
    I'm not sure if you've noticed, but before, you could use Dash without Home2 without any issues.

Now, in 1.26, they won't let you do that. You get a message that says "Dash has encountered a Fatal Error. Press any button to restart Dash." on a perfectly working Dash.

If you find a way to bypass this message, could you add the option for bypassing it to OTT?
    Trinity
    Hmm.. Will take a look and see what's possible. Been away a bit due to life/work related stuff but work on this project continues =)
  • MA_GoblinMA_Goblin Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I've noticed that Home Beta won't be affected with the options "minimize to tray" and "minimize on startup" in OTT. Is it my bad or a missing function?
    Trinity
    Probably nothing you are missing, i suspect the window handle for Home is different in beta then live, so i need to take a look at that and catch the correct window to minimize. Will do that (and other stuff) as soon as life calms down a bit. Sorry for the lack of updates all, been a busy couple of months for me.

Cheers!
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2018
    @ApollyonVR Is there any way you could bypass the need for the Home 2 to be run, when using SteamVR? I guess they released 1.27 but haven't got answer from them, that does the admin trick work again or not. Well, we see when the app is updated. If not, i'm going back to Home1, as i read somewhere that the admin trick works with it.

EDIT: This might prove useful:

MAC_MAN86 said:
    Don't Beta Test and perhaps try the hack to launch games directly rather inside Home. You click the box in Properties/Compatibility Run This Program As Admin for the file C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-home\OculusVR

Just tested and this works better! IN DEATH I can run SS=1.25 ingame and although it runs Desktop Home it does not run your VR Home so you can not accidentally switch either. This is seriously what I wanted for ARIZONA SUNSHINE for a long time as they same in Thailand 
    Holy moly, that's genius! And we get to use the Home Dash alongside with Steams! You saved the day! This must be copypasted/linked forward, if you, MAC_MAN86, allow it? I can confirm that this trick worked with Core 2.0 (i'm not in public test).

Edit: You can also set the Home2 executable "Home2-Win64-Shipping" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 to Run this program as admin. Effect is same, desktop app opens, and dash works but home2 won't load, if you don't separately run it by double clicking or putting it to taskbar and clicking while Desktop app is running. Also, you can load the older Home same way, if you need it.

• pecocuspecocus Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    @ApollyonVR ; Just wanted to let you know about an odd "bug" that I run into consistently.  I have both the services set to manual and OTT set to run them when the tool starts and shut them down on exit.  I also have OTT set to switch audio default to the Rift on start-up and back to my normal defaults on shutdown.  I've noticed that, if the computer has been asleep and then I run OTT, the audio switch will not occur.  I close OTT (which stops the service and closes Home) and then restart OTT and everything works.  This is very consistent, so hopefully something easy to deal with.

Thanks so much for your work on this.  It is an invaluable tool for using Rift.

Art3mis
    It really is.
    I've been wondering, would there ever be a way to downsample? As in, go under supersampling and make it go at
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2018
    @AppollyonVR - seems that the OTT cannot successfully turn off ASW when it is launched on detection of a game being started.
    I've tested this and can re-create the issue every time.

The game title is iRacing - racing simulation.

I have been having issues with ASW kicking in way too much recently and noticed that in the OTT HUD that under the ASW section it shows that ASW is available but not active.
    If I wait until iRacing has loaded and then launch the OTT it does what it should do, and the HUD now reflects that ASW is simply not available. 
    There are no longer any disruptive frame dips with ASW deciding to kick in - I've tested the same tracks and sections where ASW would always kick in if the tool launched with iRacing, but when the tool is manually started after iRacing has loaded there are no longer these issues.

The only workaround I have is to manually open the OTT or go back to the old method of LEFT-CTRL + Numpad 1 to force off ASW.
    Or find some way to create a delay in the launch of the OTT?

Also I noticed from the logs that access is denied with regards to the profile and making the CPU higher priority, not sure if this could be related?
    I'm attaching text from my log I just collected making the OTT launch before the game/as the game is being loaded and the profile detected.
    Hopefully you can help.

6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM Profile updated
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   Display Name: iRacing
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   Super Sampling: 0
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   ASW: Off
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   CPU Priority: High
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   Launch File: iRacingSim64DX11.exe
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   Detection Method: Timer
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\iRacing\iRacingSim64DX11.exe
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM Reading profiles
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM 22 profiles found
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   0 monitored using WMI
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM   22 monitored using Timer
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM Parsing Third-Party Manifests in C:\Program Files\Oculus\CoreData\Manifests
    6/10/2018 2:37:37 AM Parsing Manifests in E:\Oculus Store VR Games and Apps\Manifests
    6/10/2018 2:37:52 AM Setting new SS to 0
    6/10/2018 2:37:52 AM Done setting new SS
    6/10/2018 2:37:52 AM Game launch detected using Timer: iRacing
    6/10/2018 2:37:52 AM iRacing: Super Sampling @ 0
    6/10/2018 2:37:52 AM Setting new option to server:asw.Off
    6/10/2018 2:37:52 AM Done setting new option
    6/10/2018 2:37:52 AM iRacing: Applying CPU Priority in 10 seconds
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM Setting new SS to 0
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM Done setting new SS
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM iRacing exited, Super Sampling @ 0
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM Setting new option to server:asw.Off
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM Done setting new option
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM Setting new SS to 0
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM Done setting new SS
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM Game launch detected using Timer: iRacing
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM iRacing: Super Sampling @ 0
    6/10/2018 2:37:56 AM Setting new option to server:asw.Off
    6/10/2018 2:37:57 AM Done setting new option
    6/10/2018 2:37:57 AM iRacing: Applying CPU Priority in 10 seconds
    6/10/2018 2:38:02 AM ApplyCpuPrioTick: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Access is denied
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.set_PriorityClass(ProcessPriorityClass value)
       at OculusTrayTool.FrmMain.ApplyCpuPrioTick(Object sender, ElapsedEventArgs e)   at System.Diagnostics.Process.set_PriorityClass(ProcessPriorityClass value)
       at OculusTrayTool.FrmMain.ApplyCpuPrioTick(Object sender, ElapsedEventArgs e)

6/10/2018 2:38:07 AM ApplyCpuPrioTick: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Access is denied
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.set_PriorityClass(ProcessPriorityClass value)
       at OculusTrayTool.FrmMain.ApplyCpuPrioTick(Object sender, ElapsedEventArgs e)   at System.Diagnostics.Process.set_PriorityClass(ProcessPriorityClass value)
       at OculusTrayTool.FrmMain.ApplyCpuPrioTick(Object sender, ElapsedEventArgs e)

6/10/2018 2:38:58 AM Setting new option to layerhud set-mode 1
    perfhud set-mode 0
    6/10/2018 2:38:58 AM Done setting new option
    6/10/2018 2:39:02 AM Setting new option to layerhud set-mode 0
    perfhud set-mode 1
    6/10/2018 2:39:02 AM Done setting new option
    6/10/2018 2:39:03 AM Setting new option to layerhud set-mode 0
    perfhud set-mode 6
    6/10/2018 2:39:04 AM Done setting new option
    6/10/2018 2:39:09 AM Setting new option to layerhud set-mode 0
    perfhud set-mode 2
    6/10/2018 2:39:09 AM Done setting new option
    6/10/2018 2:39:12 AM Setting new option to layerhud set-mode 0
    perfhud set-mode 6
    6/10/2018 2:39:12 AM Done setting new option
    6/10/2018 2:39:40 AM Setting new option to layerhud set-mode 0
    perfhud set-mode 0
    6/10/2018 2:39:40 AM Done setting new option

Hiro Protagonist
    Since it seems I can't get an answer to my issue, is it possible to have the OTT close every time a VR application/game closes? Seems there isn't such an option?
    Thanks
    Trinity
    @Globespy I've had reports about iRacing in particular being a bit tricky, and it might be a timing issue as you say.
    Since it works fin if you manually change ASW after the game has been launched, i can try and add a 5-10 second delay to setting ASW after a game has been detected, and see if that does anything. Will try and get some work done on the new version and get you something to test.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    @ApollyonVR I have the same issue than @Globespy , OTT cannot switch off ASW when I launch IL-2 Sturmovik. When OTT detect the launch of IL-2 ASW stay ON and I have to manually turn it OFF through CTRL-1. This problem seems to appeared around the 1.26 version of Oculus. On IL-2 forum I saw other posts saying the same.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• Xboxmember1978Xboxmember1978 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hey ApollyonVR,
                               It's been about 3 months since I was using your program, was not able to use my Rift for that long, I noticed your new versions when you launch games they automatically use whatever SS you have set for Global unlike before when you can have Global set and the games would default to standard settings unless you created a profile for that game. Why did you do that?
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Globespy I've had reports about iRacing in particular being a bit tricky, and it might be a timing issue as you say.
    Since it works fin if you manually change ASW after the game has been launched, i can try and add a 5-10 second delay to setting ASW after a game has been detected, and see if that does anything. Will try and get some work done on the new version and get you something to test.
    Thanks bud! Yeah, if you can give several timing options (little dropdown?) that would be great.
    Up to 45 seconds for iRacing to load sometimes (that's even on an M.2) especially larger tracks like LeMans or the Ring.

Let me test to see if the OTT works if launched while the iracing loading screen is on, as it may just be that initial launch - I'll test and get back to you.
    Trinity
    @Globespy ; Thanks mate! If you could also test by simply waiting until the game has launched, then use the Global ASW dropdown and see if whatever you set there is applied in-game. Basically the same thing as you already suggested though.
    If that works then it should be a timing thing affecting certain games, and if so i can make some form of delay option for ASW, probably add it to the Profiles so you can tweak it to individual apps as needed.

Cheers!
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Globespy ; Thanks mate! If you could also test by simply waiting until the game has launched, then use the Global ASW dropdown and see if whatever you set there is applied in-game. Basically the same thing as you already suggested though.
    If that works then it should be a timing thing affecting certain games, and if so i can make some form of delay option for ASW, probably add it to the Profiles so you can tweak it to individual apps as needed.

Cheers!
    So, it seems that anytime after iRacing loads up the loading image in the Oculus, the OTT can be started and settings seem to be applied - this is WITHOUT the "don't require Oculus Home to be running" option checked.
    However without this option being checked then the OTT will not launch the other aspects of the profile like setting higher CPU priority and detection method set to 'timer'. BUt it does seem like ASW is disabled.

However, if iRacing is still running and I check the "don't require Oculus home to be running" then the OTT will launch the profile (I have the audible option checked so I know a profile is being loaded).
    But it seems that something is still being denied (screen attached), is it the CPU priority settings?

This is the same regardless of whether iRacing is loading, or has loaded before the OTT is opened.
    Not sure what's going on here, but would seem iRacing doesn't like the CPU priority setting to be messed with?

Trinity
    @Globespy PM'd you with some info.

Cheers!
  • igmackenzieigmackenzie Posts: 42
    NerveGear
    edited June 2018
    IGNORE!
    Trinity
    Heads up! New version heading your way soon(-ish) =)
    Art3mis
    IGNORE!

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,515 Valuable Player
    Heads up! New version heading your way soon(-ish) =)
    :) 

Thanks for all you do on this great tool !
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • igmackenzieigmackenzie Posts: 42
    NerveGear
    Do the settings in OTT always override in-game  ones?
    Trinity
    @igmackenzie No it does not always override, it depends on the game. OTT tries to set PPDP before the game starts up, but if an app has an in-game PPDP setting, this will probably be applied after OTT has done it's thing, and that might "overwrite" the OTT setting. Some games in-game PPDP setting works fine and might be preferable over OTT, while some games PPDP setting does not work very well, in which case using OTT for this is a better option. If you which to use the in-game setting, make sure the Profile for the game has 0 as PPDP. If you which to use OTT to set PPDP, then make sure the in-game setting is 0 or 1 or default or whatever that game has as en option to not touch PPDP. Depends on the game. OTT can be used to set other things like ASW and CPU priority and such, while not messing with PPDP, so you can do a combination of in-game and OTT settings to get the best epxerience. So it's a bit of trial and erorr and tweaking depending on the game/app. Hope that explains things a bit.

Cheers!