cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Oculus Go initial setup be done without a iphone or android phone?

Minclarion
Honored Guest
Notably, I personally do not own a iphone or android phone. Is there a way to use the Oculus go without the initial app? or can a emulator be used on a PC to perform the same needed steps both initially and going forward?

Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

cybereality
Grand Champion
You do need an iOS or Android device for the initial setup. Afterwards you can do everything on the headset, so maybe see if you can use a friend's phone to set it up.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
Maybe not?.. https://old.reddit.com/r/OculusGo/comments/8gndgt/psa_holding_volume_down_volume_up_when_greeted/
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It can be done, just use an Android emulator like Bluestacks or Nox on your PC.

lornawal
Honored Guest
I would love to know this as well. I ordered the 64GB version on amazon, it's being delivered today and I just found out that my Amazon Fire Phone is not compatible to setup the device. I didn't even Know a mobile device was needed for initial  setup until I read a negative review on amazon about this issue. Who would think this was the case considering all the GO promo keeps touting how much this devise is mobile phone free?  Now I'm considering refusing Delivery of my package since I have no way of setting it up, What a bummer.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, you do need an iOS or Android device. See this article. https://support.oculus.com/674083216048783/
The volume button trick will still not let you login with your account, so you won't be able to do anything. However, the phone is only needed for first time setup. You can try using a friend or family member's phone for a few minutes and then afterwards you can do everything else on the headset.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
So any IOS device, does that mean I can use my IPAD Pro for set up? My Ipad pro does allow me to download the Oculus app-- but can't find anyone who can tell me if this will work, and don't want to buy until I know for sure:)

Pixelfox
Expert Protege
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, the app only requires WiFi and Bluetooth so the fact that it's not a "phone" shouldn't necessarily affect it. If you install the app and then tell it to search for a headset, does it do that operation (probably timing out after a while)? If so then chances are it ought to work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanx pixelfox, the app on the ipad does do that...it seems to work and search for headset-- so it makes sense...guess I will try, If all else fails I will borrow and iPhone from a friend for set up!

LZoltowski
Champion
it's to do more with ease of setup for the average consumer, imagine having not only to enter your wifi password letter by letter but actually sign up for an oculus account using the on-screen keyboard, not a consumer-friendly experience.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂