New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is the Oculus Go compatible with any other controllers?

burning.airlinesburning.airlines Posts: 63
Hiro Protagonist
I bought an Oculus Go thinking I would try it and probably return it, but I really like it.  Everything except the controller.  It's finicky.  When I'm trying to press the front edge to move forward in AltspaceVR, for instance, the middle gets pushed and instead of inching forward I teleport to wherever the controller was aimed.  It makes me dread any app that uses the controller.

Are there other controllers I can pair it with?  Maybe Gear VR controllers?  I can't find that info on the Oculus site or in this forum.

Best Answer

• VinohVinoh Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    Accepted Answer
    Oculus support answered my question about controllers. They said the following controllers should be the most compatible:
    • Samsung EL-GP20
    • SteelSeries Status XL
    • Moga Pro

Answers

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,003 Valuable Player
    Try other apps and games, maybe Alspace is the worst one.  Every review i'm seeing raves about the controller.

I think some gamepads can be hooked up?  Same as the Gear VR.  Some games and apps will work best with the controller and some will probably work best with a gamepad.
  • burning.airlinesburning.airlines Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    AltspaceVR is just an example.  The controller is horrible in everything.
  • TpfitzTpfitz Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2018
    My SteelSeries Stratus XL works with it that I bought originally for my android PPSSPP emulator. Best Buys sell them. To save people the aggrevation of figuring out how to pair it .... you have to do it within the phone app. (If any one knows how to do it within the GO itself, please correct me because i want to know). I spent forever and gave up eventually trying to figure out how to pair it until this morning I just happened to go into the Oculus app and realized thats where you do it.

I will concede that the controller situation is the Achilles heel of the system. I think developers are reworking some of their games originally meant for the Rift to work with the Go controller and unfortunately, the game wasn’t originally designed for the Go controller and its just not intuitive and compatible in translation. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Tpfitz said:
    My SteelSeries Stratus XL works with it that I bought originally for my android PPSSPP emulator. Best Buys sell them. To save people the aggrevation of figuring out how to pair it .... you have to do it within the phone app. (If any one knows how to do it within the GO itself, please correct me because i want to know). I spent forever and gave up eventually trying to figure out how to pair it until this morning I just happened to go into the Oculus app and realized thats where you do it.

I will concede that the controller situation is the Achilles heel of the system. I think developers are reworking some of their games originally meant for the Rift to work with the Go controller and unfortunately, the game wasn’t originally designed for the Go controller and its just not intuitive and compatible in translation. 
    Did you pair it as a game pad or an Oculus controller?  I just bought a Gear VR controller and can't get it to pair in the Android app either way.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I paired my SteelSeries Nimbus mfi controller as a gamepad. It works in some situations and uses the headset as a pointer. Extent to which it works probably depends how the app is coded.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Vinoh said:
    I paired my SteelSeries Nimbus mfi controller as a gamepad. It works in some situations and uses the headset as a pointer. Extent to which it works probably depends how the app is coded.
    Ha! I just tried Oculus Arcade with it. The buttons and sticks work as expected except the controller has no "start" button so none of the games can be started. Hopefully they'll eventually have some sort of button mapping utility.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2018
    I just returned the Gear VR controller and bought a Steelseries Stratus XL.  It wouldn't pair for a long time, then it paired.  It doesn't work with AltspaceVR.  There's no way to move around.  This is killing my Oculus buzz.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Vinoh said:
    Oculus support answered my question about controllers. They said the following controllers should be the most compatible:
    • Samsung EL-GP20
    • SteelSeries Status XL
    • Moga Pro
    That's very disappointing.  Those are all gamepads, so I'm stuck with the Go controller.  I hope this changes soon because it ruins the experience for any app that uses the thumbpad.
  • fungusmanfungusman Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    What about console controllers?

WiiMote? Ps Move? Dual Shock 3/4 ?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    See this article for requirements. https://support.oculus.com/142553839752463/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Hiro Protagonist
    That article is for gamepads, not controllers.  I don't want a gamepad, I want a better controller.
  • darkgaizatdarkgaizat Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2018
    The 8bitdo gamepad controllers work with Oculus Go really well. I highly suggest it.
  • JohnnyVentureJohnnyVenture Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    mad catz c.t.r.l. Bluetooth controller works but I have found a few games with mapping issues
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited May 2018
    That article is for gamepads, not controllers.  I don't want a gamepad, I want a better controller.

You mean motion controllers? Only the Oculus Go controller is supported. Even if you could theoretically connect some other controller, what games would support it?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Hiro Protagonist

You mean motion controllers? Only the Oculus Go controller is supported. Even if you could theoretically connect some other controller, what games would support it?
    Motion controllers?  Maybe?  The Oculus app calls them "controllers".  You can add "controllers" and "gamepads".  I'm talking about the things the app calls "controllers"

If I could pair other controllers (like the Gear VR controller, for instance) then every game would support it.  It has all of the buttons and a thumbpad.  It would just be a (hopefully) better version of the same thing.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 4,178 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018

Motion controllers?  Maybe?  The Oculus app calls them "controllers".  You can add "controllers" and "gamepads".  I'm talking about the things the app calls "controllers"

If I could pair other controllers (like the Gear VR controller, for instance) then every game would support it.  It has all of the buttons and a thumbpad.  It would just be a (hopefully) better version of the same thing.
    At the end of the day - the software still has to support it - and I don't think that will work well. It be very limited support and typically we never seen a controller that is "better" version of the base historically on other platforms. Is it possible? Yes - so maybe in the future we might see one later if a 3rd party wants to add on. That will be years though and most likely another OGO version will be out by then so that the third party company knows it'll be worth to invest into something like that or not.

Motion controllers usually require a sensor of some sort to help tracking though and that adds cost. They are making SC that might be more up your ally as well and it's also mobile base with motion controllers. It has sensor built into the headset as well to give it the extra tracking control.

I am just helping out giving you what information I know. I think the OGO is good hardware. Not sure at the end of the day you are looking for, so whatever choice you make, I hope for the best:) Take care! Have a nice day.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Mradr said:

At the end of the day - the software still has to support it - and I don't think that will work well.

I am just helping out giving you what information I know. I think the OGO is good hardware. Not sure at the end of the day you are looking for, so whatever choice you make, I hope for the best:) Take care! Have a nice day.
    If the software supports the stock controller, then it would support an improved controller.  Same protocols and specs, just better hardware.

That's what I'm looking for: better hardware.  Pointing is fine, the buttons, trigger and accelerometers all work very well.  The thumbpad on the stock controller is flawed.  It doesn't detect side swipes reliably.  Pushing the top sometimes pushes the middle.  Pushing the middle sometimes pushes the bottom.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    Here is a handy videos someone did on various gamepads

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Here is a handy videos someone did on various gamepads

Again, not looking for a gamepad.  Looking for a controller.
  • Mercy_NightStalkerMercy_NightStalker Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Anyone have any luck with the Moga Power Pro, I used it for the Gear VR forever, but can't connect to the Oculus Go. Any help would be appreciated!!!